Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

latency issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

We shouldn't have to try and level through 500ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TechnoPool wrote: »
    up to a 500 ping is still playable in fairness for levling

500 ping might be, but its not consistently like that. There have been lag spikes that have been over 10 seconds in length which, depending on the scenario, might leave you to be raped by a few mobs while waiting for the game to respond.

I am ringing again tomorrow to ask about it with the intention of keeping the pressure on. No idea if it will work, but it is worth trying.

Another thing that shows that UPC is genuinely screwed up if this:

1058439059.png

And that is with the 15 meg package...

While I was talking to support yesterday, I ran the UPC speed test and it was even more obscure as download speed was 363M and 285M download respectively, and the support agent didn't believe me. I just tried it there again and it is at 378M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Xyo wrote: »
    We shouldn't have to try and level through 500ms.

indeed, but i was just making a minor point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

The Muppets at blizzard are still not taking any responsibility for this and are still telling people to talk to UPC.

The chances of this getting sorted through the whole of the UPC network isnt looking very good to me considering the cata xpac launches in about 29 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Another thing that shows that UPC is genuinely screwed up if this:

Disable your AV while running the check, or at least the part that monitors web/internet usage.
    Avast, AVG and some other one I can't remember the name of, have issues with speedtests, they seem to scan and cache the results, thereby skewing the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    The Muppets at blizzard are still not taking any responsibility for this and are still telling people to talk to UPC.

The chances of this getting sorted through the whole of the UPC network isnt looking very good to me considering the cata xpac launches in about 29 hours.

Is it not more the fact that UPC are traffic shaping and attempting to cut down p2p file sharing? I agree that it's not looking good for Tuesday but would it just be a case of UPC identifying the blizz data and giving it proper priorty? I have no real clue in all this but it seems the way that it will have to be done. Let's face it, blizz will do what's good for blizz, and won't change back to the way they sending things before.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Avast, AVG and some other one I can't remember the name of, have issues with speedtests

The other one would be Kaspersky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Any links for the lazy there skygrazer? Wouldn't mind reading up on this throttling stuff.

"Put you hand around person's throat. Shake like hell"

Seriously im ona 30Mb UPC line, and started a new char a few days ago (tauren paladin). Same issue here. Was not online fri/sat, but same thing today. Tanking instances was kinda awkward with a second or two lag every 30secs or so....

I dont think it will affect leveling for me that much though... I hope

This is really a major pain in the arse..and the worst timing in the world..
    i have 5000 ms right this second in wintergrasp sigh..im so fecking angry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 skygrazer

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that our network team has been in touch with UPC and this is being worked on.

Unfortunately I don't have any sort of ETA

posted by a blue on wow(eu) forums

skygrazer wrote: »
    posted by a blue on wow(eu) forums

Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

At least it's a known issue, and has been talked about by Blizz. Hopefully get a resolution by Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Latency seems to be a lot better today, playing at 180ms down from 800+ last night. Was actually able to heal some randoms.

shockwave wrote: »
    Latency seems to be a lot better today, playing at 180ms dwon from 800+ last night. Was actually able to heal some randoms.

Is that your normal latency? I generally have about 30-70 but reckon 200 is playable enough for grinding to 85 tonight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Normal latency would be under 100 usually around 80ish but but its a big improvement on the past few days.

I had awful lag last night, but on the official forums some people are saying that it's gotten better this morning. Anyone at home to confirm/deny/shatter this?

Nope it's not fixed. It's less than what it was, coming down to 500ms or under but it's still ridiculous.

The ping on my server argent dawn is now floating around 200-250..
    Which to be honest is better than 5k ms that i was having all week.
    so for the moment im happy..hope it stays like that so i can grind to 85 tonight:-p

It won't. It's only lowish now because it's daytime and kids are in school etc.,
    Watch it go mental in the evening again if UPC haven't bothered to fix things.

• Advertisement

Much improved this morning. Been playing about 2 hours and haven't had any lag spikes to think of. Ping is hovering around the 160ms mark outside cities so although it isn't ideal, it is a vast improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CamomileCurt

...im on about ~20-50; im no expert but just upgraded to a 30GB UPC link an dats miles better...

...im on about ~20-50; im no expert but just upgraded to a 30GB UPC link an dats miles better...

i was on 30Mb and it was terrible over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CamomileCurt

Shougeki wrote: »
    i was on 30Mb and it was terrible over the weekend.

...soz shougeki - woz it just WoW? Or mebbe its a complete michael mouse UPC conn...? Givvem a call anywaze..?

...soz shougeki - woz it just WoW? Or mebbe its a complete michael mouse UPC conn...? Givvem a call anywaze..?

The English language is dead at your feet, blood leaking from the chainsaw wounds in its chest as you ejaculate over its mangled corpse.....

rofl...
    what are they teaching our children at school.

Transation = My apologies Shougeki - Was it just World or Warcraft? Or maybe it's a complete mickey mouse UPC connection? Give me a call anytime my good man?

Think it was "give them a call at any time".

Yes it was just WOW, but to be honest i dont see that high usage on my line. I have it just in case i have to work from home.

that being said it took 40mins to copy a 1Gb file up to a share at work over VPN on friday, but i dont use the VPN often enough to know if that normal, and cba doing some benchmarking on it :P

Called UPC again, they are now "aware" of the problem with world of warcraft and I was told their techs are working on the problem with no real ETA other than they hope to have it all working fine again by tomorrow (Tuesday 7th) evening.

They (UPC) said that Blizzard changed some things recently in regards the way data is sent over the network, which in turn affected the way UPC's network prioritises the data itself but they (UPC) are working on resolving the problem.

Anyway there ye go, might be back up and running normally sooner but tomorrow evening is what they said to me.

• Advertisement

Still **** for me anyway. Sitting at between 1200 and 1700 atm.

Advertisement