Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sex isn't what it's hyped up to be

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

SugarHigh wrote: »
    When you say cúnt in public it can cause offence to certain people. If I went into a jewish area with a swastika people would have a conniption. I would be having an affect on people. The swastika is an extreme example but some people get offended by someone talking about sex and is it fair to put that on them?

I said directly impact. If someone's wearing a swastika for the sole purpose of impacting other people's lives and are actively harassing people using this, then that's a problem. If they're wearing it for themselves, then it's no one else's problem but theirs.

Unless you advocate censorship, which I don't. What we see and overhear and therefore take offense to is OUR problem, not the problem of those who happen to be that way.

Some people don't like to see fat people and claim to be "offended" by them, does that mean fat people should stay indoors? Plenty of people believe so but I think it's absolutely ludicrous. Just because someone finds one thing offensive doesn't give them the right to ban it from sight.

There's a big difference, like I said, between someone rubbing their dick on you (therefore directly involving you in their actions; direct, and not passive, impact) and someone walking around with a swastika tatt. The tatt is passive offense and therefore should simply be ignored.
    Now I don't care about offending people but you said that anything is fine once it doesn't impact people, I'm just pointing out that normal bodily functions do have an impact on some people. If I stop and piss into a river people with kids near by would have a fúcking fit but pissing is human right? It's not unhygienic because it's being washed away by the river.

For what it's worth I don't care where people pee. Also, you're focusing on the body parts bit when to be honest that's the bit I care least about so tbh I'm just going to drop that bit. I don't like burps or farts and don't do them in public but I'm not about to freak out about everyone else who does. It's a millisecond of my day, if I took offense to things that petty I'd be angry constantly at everything.
    I love the logic "buh buh the moviez said it's badz:("

Not quite what I was getting at, nor was it a line of logic. I'm just saying they made a movie about what would happen if we lost our sense of humanity. It had Christian Bale in it. It was good. I know I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.
    People vote based on what they feel. They go for the nice not the right guy. People buy products based on what they feel not based on what is the best product. Advertising works by manipulating peoples feelings.

And?
    People give me far too much credit simply because I can paint. I act like a cúnt but once they find out I can paint they have a completely different emotional reaction towards me. Even on boards I posted some pictures and someone told me they thought I was a prick until they seen I could draw.:D

And? Congratulations to you, I don't think being able to paint (or do anything) entitles anyone to be a cúnt. Hitler could paint too (that's right, I just Godwin'd). So can my mother. They're totally different people.

Those people are a bit dim if they think you're suddenly nicer because you can draw.
    The reasons behind emotions are not sound reasons to make judgments on. Read any legal thread in AH and it's clear most cannot separate their emotions from their reasoning.

There's a massive difference between actual courtroom and day to day judgment. Emotions and courtroom cannot work together and not once have I ever insinuated they should, but we have to be able to function and communicate emotionally to work together in a cohesive, day to day society.

I am talking specifically about things that are normal emotional experiences to all of us-- such as having a crush, or being down on oneself, or basically any of the rest of that original paragraph-- simple things every one of us faces at one stage or another that, for some reason, when spoken about make us seem "strange" or abnormal in some way.
    Well I never said you should react with fear, did I?
    Fear is just another emotion that is better off being suppressed. There was a good reason for fear but it's not very useful in todays world where you are better of calculating what you should avoid instead of relying on fear.

I don't think fear is better off suppressed. I think it's better off exposed and dealt with and moved on from.

I look at emotions the way I look at drugs, or sex, or any other amount of things. If you suppress them, or "ban" them, or make them so they're not "allowed," it makes things worse. People need to feel comfortable discussing these things so they know how to handle them responsibly and safely.

Now, depending on your perspective, compare this generation to a few generations ago. People are talking and expressing themselves more and more, and people are slowly starting to accept one another. Being gay isn't seen as unfavourably as it used to, or being foreign, or being of a different religion or cultural background. This is not because all of these things were suppressed, but rather thrust upon us until we realized these things weren't scary anymore.

Suppressing anything is playing with fire imho.
    Logic tells me to not mess around with lions or hang off cliffs with no equipment, I don't need fear.
    This is you trying to use emotion to win an argument. I'm surprised you didn't mention hitler. You blame the worlds problems on a lack of empathy but why not blame the other emotions that were the driving forces instead of a lack of an emotion you believe could have stopped them.

I'm not trying to "win" anything, just explaining my perspective. I'm not trying to force you into compliance. It's a discussion that allows things to get fleshed out. There are no victors.

I'm not blaming the world's problems on a lack of empathy, simply highlighting a correlation. The world has a lot of problems for a lot of different reasons, but forgetting our humanity and empathy is definitely one of them. I don't feel it unreasonable or "emotional" to say so, I think it's fairly obvious to anyone who looks.
    I don't think more empathy would not have stopped them. People don't feel empathy for people equally. Most Americans would choose to have 200,000 Arabs dead than 100 Americans. They empathise more with Americans.

Of course. I've never said that wasn't the case. Doesn't mean it's not a pity.
    In a controlled manner, yes.

Depends on the situation tbh. I like releasing sometimes. It's cathartic. I think it's very unhealthy to have everything controlled and never release. It can only cause problems if you're not honest with yourself about what you're feeling and deal with it appropriately.
    So if you get an initial feeling that someone is a prick you will suppress this emotion?

No, I'll consider what factors may have led to that person appearing like a prick. I would consider the fact that perhaps they had a bad day, have ongoing stress in their lives, or a variety of other things I'm not aware of. The next time I see them, I'll evaluate them on that encounter, and so on, and so on, until I've known them long enough to actually have a true grasp of who they are.
    What happened to not suppressing emotions. If you get the feeling that someone is a cúnt why suppress it if you think suppressing emotions is bad?

I don't suppress.
    True. The same can be said for love. You can manipulate someone into loving you. Even through abuse.

Of course you can. But the way you're arguing is giving me the impression that you believe that being emotional and being rational and logical are mutually exclusive to one another. They aren't.

The trick is to find balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Careful now.
    Down with this sort of thing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

CorkMan wrote: »
    the event you think "Meh". Anyone agree?

I'm over 55, and have a large family. I'm still fantasizing about it, and seeing Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira etc

Over the year's you'll find it is the hardest thing to get right, at the right time, it needs a lot of work, technique, flowers, a meal, a new dress.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Sex is f#ckin amazing, if you're doing it right, and with someone you have a connection with. Maybe you don't have that connection. I dunno OP...
    You get out what you put in. (Ahem.. cough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

gbee wrote: »
    Over the year's you'll find it is the hardest thing to get right, at the right time, it needs a lot of work, technique, flowers, a meal, a new dress.

Wow. Your missus is one very lucky woman. I would so love to have a fella spoil me like that.

A bit of half decent conversation, a couple of glasses of wine with a few compliments is the best some of the nicer men I have met have managed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

Maybe your a shirt lifter OP, next time try call the girl 'Brad' and see if things improve.

Or else, maybe sex outside a loving relationship just isn't your thing. IMO sex with a randomer and sex within a loving relationship just don't compare.

What's with the pit bull as your signature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

For what it's worth I don't care where people pee. Also, you're focusing on the body parts bit when to be honest that's the bit I care least about so tbh I'm just going to drop that bit. I don't like burps or farts and don't do them in public but I'm not about to freak out about everyone else who does. It's a millisecond of my day, if I took offense to things that petty I'd be angry constantly at everything.
    But by causing offence to someone you are impacting them to an extent you might not know. If someone has beliefs about their child being exposed to sexual organs and you walk around topless you are going to cause them a lot of distress. I don't care about them but if you don't want to cause distress than suppressing your human body isn't a bad thing

Not quite what I was getting at, nor was it a line of logic. I'm just saying they made a movie about what would happen if we lost our sense of humanity. It had Christian Bale in it. It was good. I know I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.
    It actually is a line logic.
    A movie said it was bad therefor it is bad.

They made a movie about what they thought would happen. I have seen the film but remember very little but what if someone made a positive movie about people being more in control of their emotions. Suppressing your emotions does not mean you end up like a robot that would require a complete removal of emotions(I still wouldn't be against this). You were suggesting that emotions being suppressed is a bad thing. The examples I gave about advertisements showed how peoples emotions allow them to be taken advantage of and cause them to make bad judgments which can be prevented by suppressing emotions. The Scientific method suppresses certain emotions to stop bias.

Also you say you wouldn't like to live in a world like that but really you could be made to feel differently if those who knew how to manipulate your emotions decided to do so. How much of what you feel is decided by you?
    Thats a bit of a pointless question actually because if you were being manipulated you wouldn't be aware of it.

And? Congratulations to you, I don't think being able to paint (or do anything) entitles anyone to be a cúnt. Hitler could paint too (that's right, I just Godwin'd). So can my mother. They're totally different people.
    My point is that peoples emotions are easily manipulated.
    Those people are a bit dim if they think you're suddenly nicer because you can draw.
    I agree. Did you not once say you like the guy from sigur ros based on his music. Ability to make music isn't much more of an indicator than an ability to paint. It's just another talent but it obviously makes you feel differently.

There's a massive difference between actual courtroom and day to day judgment. Emotions and courtroom cannot work together and not once have I ever insinuated they should, but we have to be able to function and communicate emotionally to work together in a cohesive, day to day society.
    Who says we have to?
    Computers interact and work together with each other pretty well without emotion. They don't have emotional conflicts like we do. I know you won't like that idea, you don't like how it makes you feel.:D
    I am talking specifically about things that are normal emotional experiences to all of us-- such as having a crush, or being down on oneself, or basically any of the rest of that original paragraph-- simple things every one of us faces at one stage or another that, for some reason, when spoken about make us seem "strange" or abnormal in some way.
    I agree that there are a lot of everday things which are perfectly normal but are made out to be strange. Men of all ages fancying a 15 year old is not strange but you wouldn't want to say that in public :pac:

But what started this was you measuring a some guys dick which isn't an everyday thing for most people. Before you start whining I do not care that you did this but it isn't a common thing for a girl to measure your dick, sure most girls make an estimate but not get out a measuring tape.:D
    It's not like I said uou shouldn't I just said it was weird(unusual), the word weird seems to hit a nerve with you...which is weird.

Now, depending on your perspective, compare this generation to a few generations ago. People are talking and expressing themselves more and more, and people are slowly starting to accept one another. Being gay
    isn't seen as unfavourably as it used to, or being foreign, or being of a different religion or cultural background. This is not because all of these things were suppressed, but rather thrust upon us until we realized these things weren't scary anymore.
    This gets played up way more than it deserves. Past generations were not as uptight as you want to believe and even if you read Livy's "ab urbe condita" you will see people have been claiming this for centuries, also claiming the next generation is going off the rails.

Also homosexuality comes in and out of the firing a lot through history so I don't take that as an indication of much. 50 years ago being a Muslim in America wouldn't have been so sh1t as it is today.
    Suppressing anything is playing with fire imho.
    I disagree. Personal suppression as in self control is a good thing.

I'm not blaming the world's problems on a lack of empathy, simply highlighting a correlation. The world has a lot of problems for a lot of different reasons, but forgetting our humanity and empathy is definitely one of them. I don't feel it unreasonable or "emotional" to say so, I think it's fairly obvious to anyone who looks.
    How do you know there is a correlation? Have you been measuring empathy levels throughout history?:D

Depends on the situation tbh. I like releasing sometimes. It's cathartic. I think it's very unhealthy to have everything controlled and never release. It can only cause problems if you're not honest with yourself about what you're feeling and deal with it appropriately.
    You make a lot of claims. How do you know it can only cause problems? You really don't think there are situations where it's best to hide your emotions? I'd love to be on the other side of the negotiation table as you.:D

Of course you can. But the way you're arguing is giving me the impression that you believe that being emotional and being rational and logical are mutually exclusive to one another. They aren't.

The trick is to find balance.
    Ok not mutually exclusive but emotions do hinder reason. Finding a balance would be nice but it's impossible to know if you have found that balance, if someone is too emotional they would be too biased to realise it.

Also if someone is too emotional should they suppress to bring it into balance?:D

Irrational fears can't be reasoned out of they need to be suppressed and tackled head on. If you didn't suppress them you wouldn't be able to tackle them because they would be preventing you from doing so. Suppressing them makes them easier to deal with and eliminate.

Darlughda wrote: »
    Wow. Your missus is one very lucky woman. I would so love to have a fella spoil me like that.

A bit of half decent conversation, a couple of glasses of wine with a few compliments is the best some of the nicer men I have met have managed.
    Maybe you should look into what you had to offer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

But by causing offence to someone you are impacting them to an extent you might not know. If someone has beliefs about their child being exposed to sexual organs and you walk around topless you are going to cause them a lot of distress. I don't care about them but if you don't want to cause distress than suppressing your human body isn't a bad thing

They made a movie about what they thought would happen. I have seen the film but remember very little but what if someone made a positive movie about people being more in control of their emotions. Suppressing your emotions does not mean you end up like a robot that would require a complete removal of emotions(I still wouldn't be against this). You were suggesting that emotions being suppressed is a bad thing. The examples I gave about advertisements showed how peoples emotions allow them to be taken advantage of and cause them to make bad judgments which can be prevented by suppressing emotions. The Scientific method suppresses certain emotions to stop bias.

Also you say you wouldn't like to live in a world like that but really you could be made to feel differently if those who knew how to manipulate your emotions decided to do so. How much of what you feel is decided by you?
    Thats a bit of a pointless question actually because if you were being manipulated you wouldn't be aware of it.

My point is that peoples emotions are easily manipulated.

I agree. Did you not once say you like the guy from sigur ros based on his music. Ability to make music isn't much more of an indicator than an ability to paint. It's just another talent but it obviously makes you feel differently.

Who says we have to?
    Computers interact and work together with each other pretty well without emotion. They don't have emotional conflicts like we do. I know you won't like that idea, you don't like how it makes you feel.:D

I agree that there are a lot of everday things which are perfectly normal but are made out to be strange. Men of all ages fancying a 15 year old is not strange but you wouldn't want to say that in public :pac:

But what started this was you measuring a some guys dick which isn't an everyday thing for most people. Before you start whining I do not care that you did this but it isn't a common thing for a girl to measure your dick, sure most girls make an estimate but not get out a measuring tape.:D
    It's not like I said uou shouldn't I just said it was weird(unusual), the word weird seems to hit a nerve with you...which is weird.

This gets played up way more than it deserves. Past generations were not as uptight as you want to believe and even if you read Livy's "ab urbe condita" you will see people have been claiming this for centuries, also claiming the next generation is going off the rails.

Also homosexuality comes in and out of the firing a lot through history so I don't take that as an indication of much. 50 years ago being a Muslim in America wouldn't have been so sh1t as it is today.

How do you know there is a correlation? Have you been measuring empathy levels throughout history?:D

You make a lot of claims. How do you know it can only cause problems? You really don't think there are situations where it's best to hide your emotions? I'd love to be on the other side of the negotiation table as you.:D

Ok not mutually exclusive but emotions do hinder reason. Finding a balance would be nice but it's impossible to know if you have found that balance, if someone is too emotional they would be too biased to realise it.

Also if someone is too emotional should they suppress to bring it into balance?:D

Irrational fears can't be reasoned out of they need to be suppressed and tackled head on. If you didn't suppress them you wouldn't be able to tackle them because they would be preventing you from doing so. Suppressing them makes them easier to deal with and eliminate.

tl;dp*

*too long/didn't pleasure................'too thick' however,
    .......................no complaints! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

I remember in my teenage years always fantasizing about it, seeing Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira etc on TV. But when I did have sex, I thought "Why isn't this what it is supposed to be?".

It seems your mind makes it out to be a lot bigger than what it actually is, you spend a lot of time thinking about it but when it comes to the event you think "Meh". Anyone agree?

its not the same when you do it with a pet:eek:try doing it with a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

its not the same when you do it with a pet:eek:try doing it with a human.

A human who VOLUNTEERS! mind you! Chloroform and rhohypnol not included in 'volunteer', don't make me angry now cock corkman! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

op - do you take any medication?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

just loving this thread.. ;)

Damn I wish my fella was here right now!!

RIGHT NOW!

It doesn't matter-- you cannot police everyone, and everyone is not the same, and everyone will be offended by something arbitrary.

The only way to police it is to make it so that either nobody can do anything at all, whatsoever, or make it so that people just need to suck it up unless someone is directly affecting them.

A lot of movies say a lot of things are bad. It doesn't mean that because it's in a movie, and that movie says it's bad, that's the reason it's bad. My line of logic is that, when presented with an example of such a society (the example being that movie), I find that particular way of living highly undesirable.

It's not possible to make a positive movie about everybody suppressing their emotions because it goes against every single instinct we have as a species and nobody would be able to relate to it. That's why we have films like I Robot and A.I. instead of the reverse. And yeah, yeah, yeah, plenty of our natural instincts should be suppressed-- but they are the ones that have direct impact on others, such as the instinct to have sex with as many people as possible, or the instinct to have children. Those are different.

What on earth is the point of a life without joy? And you cannot live a life with joy without anger and sadness to balance it.

Yes, I know. I have the entire Derren Brown collection on my harddrive at he moment. I'm aware of how manipulation works. I don't see how it's relevant. I mean, I get the point you're making-- without emotions we would essentially be mentally invincible, for lack of better phrasing, but again, I don't see the point of a life without joy. Sure, you can progress further with technology and so on and so forth, but to what end? Without emotions you can derive no pleasure from what you do, so what is the motivation?

If emotions weren't involved we would be enslaved. Not that it would matter, because theoretically we wouldn't care, but I now as a human being see that as no way to live, and there's no point making theories about something that can never have a chance of being so.

Emotions are what set us apart. Emotions are what make us beautiful and intricate and interesting and diverse. Emotions give us music and films and literature. Emotions give us motivation and ambition. I like those things. I like what emotions bring out of us. It's amazing. Truly.

Is everything you say literal at all times? I don't even remember saying that, but I'm sure I did, I do love Jonsi because of his music, it shows a very interesting and human side of him. It's also the only thing about him I have to base my preferences on, as I don't know him in person, and it's not a fair comparison, as it can't make me feel "differently" about him if it's the only aspect I'm aware of.

I wouldn't make an entire judgment on one aspect of a person, if that's what you're getting at.
    Who says we have to?

We are not computers. I don't see why we should try to be them. They're good at what they do. We're good at what we do. It's the differences that make it interesting.

Hah, funnily enough I just watched the two Lolita films yesterday and did some reading about hebephilia and ephebephilia, and subsequently ancient Greece.

To be honest that whole thing is purely contextual and varies widely from situation to situation. People are absolutely naive if they think the magical number of 15 means that a girl can't look like a woman-- no one can tell just from sight whether a woman is 19 and youngish looking or 15 with the body of Beyonce. But there's also the opposite scenario where it's the innocence and naivete of the youth that's the appeal and that's where it strays into creep territory, and validly.

Even then I'm of the opinion that as long as a pedophile, hebephile, or ephebophile keeps these desires to themselves and are aware that they're wrong and why, they're not necessarily bad people. Completely depends.

When did I ever say it was ME who measured their dicks? I was present, I did not instigate the measuring, was merely an onlooker, and stated so a few times.

What I stated was NORMAL (not an every day thing, just simply normal) was guys getting bored and curious at some stage in their life and measuring their dicks at least once. Granted, not everyone does it, but more have done it than will admit and I don't see why it's so odd to say so.

The word didn't hit a nerve with me, it's the implication that I am somehow abnormal that comes with it for being in the same room while a guy did a perfectly normal thing. Especially given our "discussions" in the past. It's very obvious (and you stated it yourself) that you have some sort of issue with me, or at least think I'm weird.

Not that it's relevant, but you also have a very strange retention for my posting history. I can't even remember the last time I listened to Sigur Ros or posted about Jonsi, must've been at least a year ago. What's that about?
    This gets played up way more than it deserves. Past generations were not as uptight as you want to believe and even if you read Livy's "ab urbe condita" you will see people have been claiming this for centuries, also claiming the next generation is going off the rails. Also homosexuality comes in and out of the firing a lot through history so I don't take that as an indication of much. 50 years ago being a Muslim in America wouldn't have been so sh1t as it is today.

Greece was amazingly forward-thinking for its time depending on the context, so was Rome, and other places. Humanity tends to go through shifts with these things; a liberal era, a conservative era, then liberal, and so on.. this is not news to me.

My point is, things are better for everyone when people are not afraid or suppressed. Things are worse for everyone when people are afraid and suppressed. It's not exactly an off-the-wall statement.

The most suppressed people I know are always the unhappiest.

All you have to do is look back to be able to figure it out tbh, it doesn't take measuring. People treat each other horribly because they don't care about one another, or they care about material things over the lives of other humans. That is a lack of empathy.

Because that's how it's always been throughout history.

There are situations where it's best to hide your emotions, certainly. But I was under the impression that you were speaking in absolutes, and I was replying in turn.

I do not think it's a way to live your life. I do not think suppressing emotions long-term is good for anyone's mental health. If something is suppressed momentarily, it needs to be dealt with later. Does that clarify it at all?

Reason isn't always what's most important. It depends on the situation. If someone were grieving after their parent passed away, the reasonable thing to do would be to move on, as, technically, grieving is a pointless emotion and is more of a hindrance than a help. Would you tell that person to get over it, they're dead, move on? Or would you show empathy by indulging their grief and comforting them and telling them things are going to be okay?

Nope, I've answered essentially this question a few times now: No, it should not be suppressed, it should be acknowledged and dealt with and moved on from.

I had many irrational fears. For example, I couldn't call my friends or relatives on the phone, talk to strangers, order a burger, etc. because I had an irrational fear of people. I did not suppress those emotions while tackling them head-on, I felt them to the core of my being, and I kept feeling it until I did it so often that I didn't feel those things anymore. And I talked about them until they were something I no longer feared.

I acknowledged it, dealt with it, and moved on from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

this thread got fierce serious. For that reason I'm ooot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

efb wrote: »
    Get his/her finger up your a$$ while you doing the deed, nice!

Heard it described as the White Torpedo the other evening, excellent.

Sex is great and even better with a finger in his/her bum :pac:

As for the whole argument, sh1t, most things I do right now are motivated by the prospect of doing it, that's what we're wired for, innit?

this thread got fierce serious. For that reason I'm ooot.

Good point. Sorry about that.

I'm done talking about this on-thread but if you're that interested in the argument you can PM me, SugarHigh.

liah wrote: »
    What on earth is the point of a life without joy? And you cannot live a life with joy without anger and sadness to balance it.
    I don't see how joy gives it a point but that would really drag this discussion on. I agree that reason won't lead to happiness but that's only a problem if happiness is the goal.

Yes, I know. I have the entire Derren Brown collection on my harddrive at he moment. I'm aware of how manipulation works.
    PhD from the university of Hollywood and TV:D(j/k don't throw a conniption)
    I don't see how it's relevant. I mean, I get the point you're making-- without emotions we would essentially be mentally invincible, for lack of better phrasing, but again, I don't see the point of a life without joy. Sure, you can progress further with technology and so on and so forth, but to what end? Without emotions you can derive no pleasure from what you do, so what is the motivation?
    I'd sacrifice joy for not being able to be manipulated but I guess that depends on how worried you are about being manipulated. Some people are naturally good at manipulating people without having to think about it, since they are on the winning side it's not something they are worried about.
    If emotions weren't involved we would be enslaved. Not that it would matter, because theoretically we wouldn't care, but I now as a human being see that as no way to live, and there's no point making theories about something that can never have a chance of being so.
    You could also say that you are enslaved by your emotions if it's your emotions that determining your actions(in a search for joy). I also disagree it's pointless to imagine scenarios that won't ever happen. "Stranger from a strange land" won't ever happen but thinking about the scenario can be revealing.(This will also drag on the discussion so that's all I'm saying on that one)

Emotions are what set us apart. Emotions are what make us beautiful and intricate and interesting and diverse. Emotions give us music and films and literature. Emotions give us motivation and ambition. I like those things. I like what emotions bring out of us. It's amazing. Truly.
    Using emotions to justify emotions. As for it being amazing, either everything is amazing or nothing is amazing(I have no idea which is right though).

Is everything you say literal at all times? I don't even remember saying that, but I'm sure I did, I do love Jonsi because of his music, it shows a very interesting and human side of him. It's also the only thing about him I have to base my preferences on, as I don't know him in person, and it's not a fair comparison, as it can't make me feel "differently" about him if it's the only aspect I'm aware of.

I wouldn't make an entire judgment on one aspect of a person, if that's what you're getting at.
    I probably am too literal.

We are not computers. I don't see why we should try to be them. They're good at what they do. We're good at what we do. It's the differences that make it interesting
    Everything we do can be described in computational statements.(This is also another discussion that will just drag on but all I'm saying is that what a computer actually is ain't as clear you would expect)

Hah, funnily enough I just watched the two Lolita films yesterday and did some reading about hebephilia and ephebephilia, and subsequently ancient Greece.

To be honest that whole thing is purely contextual and varies widely from situation to situation. People are absolutely naive if they think the magical number of 15 means that a girl can't look like a woman-- no one can tell just from sight whether a woman is 19 and youngish looking or 15 with the body of Beyonce. But there's also the opposite scenario where it's the innocence and naivete of the youth that's the appeal and that's where it strays into creep territory, and validly.

Even then I'm of the opinion that as long as a pedophile, hebephile, or ephebophile keeps these desires to themselves and are aware that they're wrong and why, they're not necessarily bad people. Completely depends.
    yea I agree.

When did I ever say it was ME who measured their dicks? I was present, I did not instigate the measuring, was merely an onlooker, and stated so a few times.

What I stated was NORMAL (not an every day thing, just simply normal) was guys getting bored and curious at some stage in their life and measuring their dicks at least once. Granted, not everyone does it, but more have done it than will admit and I don't see why it's so odd to say so.
    It's not odd to say so, I never said it was.

It is normal to measure your dick but it is odd for two people to measure someones dick in the same way it's odd for two people to piss into the same toilet.

Not that it's relevant, but you also have a very strange retention for my posting history. I can't even remember the last time I listened to Sigur Ros or posted about Jonsi, must've been at least a year ago. What's that about?
    I don't know, but I have a retention for most peoples posts. I suppose what peoples memories decide it was worth retaining is different for everyone. I remember pretty benign opinions in real life as well. I don't know why because I have a fairly crap memory. I concentrate too much on peoples likes and dislikes and maybe judge them too harshly on them.

My point is, things are better for everyone when people are not afraid or suppressed. Things are worse for everyone when people are afraid and suppressed. It's not exactly an off-the-wall statement.
    These are just more claims. Having a rigid class structure is quite suppressing but to say that this is worse for everyone simply isn't true. I'm not just talking about the upper class either. Having a fixed place in society would be fairly comforting to a lot. Although of course it would also be bad for others.

The most suppressed people I know are always the unhappiest.
    Yea probably.

I do not think it's a way to live your life. I do not think suppressing emotions long-term is good for anyone's mental health. If something is suppressed momentarily, it needs to be dealt with later. Does that clarify it at all?
    Well I can't really argue whats a good way people to live their lives because I have no idea what would be a good way to lead your life. I'm just throwing out thoughts so someone can affirm or deny them.
    I probably don't have a good understanding of how the world works or what it's really like. I'm not very perceptive to useful information when it comes to people so what I have to build upon isn't great.
    Reason isn't always what's most important. It depends on the situation. If someone were grieving after their parent passed away, the reasonable thing to do would be to move on, as, technically, grieving is a pointless emotion and is more of a hindrance than a help. Would you tell that person to get over it, they're dead, move on? Or would you show empathy by indulging their grief and comforting them and telling them things are going to be okay?
    Well not's always easy to know when reason isn't appropriate and in your example while I wouldn't say it out loud because I know there would be consequences it's exactly what I'm thinking. I have little time for other peoples self indulgences of self pity although I do it a lot myself.
    I had many irrational fears. For example, I couldn't call my friends or relatives on the phone, talk to strangers, order a burger, etc. because I had an irrational fear of people. I did not suppress those emotions while tackling them head-on, I felt them to the core of my being, and I kept feeling it until I did it so often that I didn't feel those things anymore. And I talked about them until they were something I no longer feared.

I acknowledged it, dealt with it, and moved on from it.
    I don't know how to tackle them without suppressing them. How can you just start up a conversation with someone if you are afraid of conversation without somehow lessening your fear first. The cure is to do it but if your afraid of the cure how do you do it?

How do you talk about conversation if you fear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Savour this moment people.....it's the rare occurrence where an AH thread gets serious....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And this my friends is why modern life has become so overly complicated.
    A fun and natural act, twisted, turned, prodded, poked, turned inside out, and psychoanalysed, until we end up forgetting that it's just a ride...........and a ride is all it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

liah wrote: »
    Good point. Sorry about that.

I'm done talking about this on-thread but if you're that interested in the argument you can PM me, SugarHigh.

This is a short-one. But your posts are well over 7 inches, on average; very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Schorpio wrote: »
    Savour this moment people.....it's the rare occurrence where an AH thread gets serious....

Finger up the bum? Op something something colanoscopy. Mabe it's the lilt in your voice Op. I had a similar problem with my ex but when I started doing her anally she thought it was fantastic. I liked it too cos she had a super can.

Yes. Yes that should do it.

I sex worth it, get the f*ck in the real world... oh f*ch yeh it's worth it...

Being a New Zealander playing Rugby for Belfast Harlequins in 1998 I was privileged to meet my Irish wife, off my face in the Fly Bar in Belfast one night, only being in the Northern Ireland for two weeks.

I looked into her blue eyes from across the bar and felt sick to my stomach with desire, when she flashed her eye lids across the bar at me from afar. With one flirting flick of those lashes and the turquise pools that are her pupils she bored into my soul and turned a very proud masculine kiwi into emotional goo! Yes I love my wife and fell for her from the very first moment I was privaleged to lay eyes upon her.

I broke down the door of her University flat just to tell her I loved her after three months, home sick for the southern hemisphere with nothing to loose.

She is indeed my soul mate, my equal, my friend and my sexual partner, rocking the f*cking foundations of this building we call our home. She completes me when she looks at our son with unconditional love. She is a mother, a wife and my life and without her I would not be complete. Helen you are indeed my world and I love you very very much, now and forever. :)

Sex is fantastic, but mix it with a life time of passion and you meet utopia...
    I would move mountains, break walls of granite and give my life for my woman and she would not expect anything less of her man.

Life is hard and f8cked up at best... but live it without passion it ain't worth living at all.

Flygimp wrote: »
    I sex worth it, get the f*ck in the real world... oh f*ch yeh it's worth it...

Being a New Zealander playing Rugby for Belfast Harlequins in 1998 I was privileged to meet my Irish wife, off my face in the Fly Bar in Belfast one night, only being in the Northern Ireland for two weeks.

I looked into her blue eyes from across the bar and felt sick to my stomach with desire, when she flashed her eye lids across the bar at me from afar. With one flirting flick of those lashes and the turquise pools that are her pupils she bored into my soul and turned a very proud masculine kiwi into emotional goo! Yes I love my wife and fell for her from the very first moment I was privaleged to lay eyes upon her.

She is indeed my soul mate, my equal, my friend and my sexual partner rocking the f*cking foundations of this building we call home. I completes me when she looks at my little boy with unconditional love. She is a mother, a wife and my life and without her I would not be complete. Helen you are indeed my world amd I love you very very much, now and forever. :)

That sounds dangerous. I hope no innocent bystanders got hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Careful now.

Down with that sort of thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sex is great

but it's not as good as the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lets be honest about this. There is no experience in the world to compare with being a part in the continuance of the human race, and having an excrutiatingly gorgeous good time in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

delaad wrote: »
    Lets be honest about this. There is no experience in the world to compare with being a part in the continuance of the human race, and having an excrutiatingly gorgeous good time in the process.
    Eh i have no wish to have kids. I'm still going to get laid. I'll still enjoy it without coninuing the human race.

Eh i have no wish to have kids. I'm still going to get laid. I'll still enjoy it without coninuing the human race.

Was just talking to a girl who says she has news for you..

delaad wrote: »

Winning €10 million on the lotto might compare to it, then we might be more in demand to continue the population increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ascanbe wrote: »
    Was just talking to a girl who says she has news for you..
    unless it's something miraculous about semen living passed the tonsils I think I'm ok!

I remember running home three miles after rugby practise at -3 degrees, hammering the door down of my wife's flat, frothing at the mouth, ripping the clothes off her at the bottom of the stairs and ending up three stories up the stairs with my arse hanging in the air, like a jack hammer... that was before kids of course. :) Enjoy yourselves when your young you b*stards... life's short.

unless it's something miraculous about semen living passed the tonsils I think I'm ok!

Is that where they live, did`t know that.

sex is great

but it's not as good as the real thing

Coke?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ascanbe wrote: »
    Coke?
    Coke and hookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I felt bad once during sex, but she woke up half way through...

Giggidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Its relatively odd. The whole whipping out the measuring tape prior to passion. Or during passion:

"Hang on there, lad, your looking nice and erect." rummage rummage. "There's me measuring tape. Jaysus you're a good 7.5. " puts sticker on wall, like top Gear. Comes third. Erection wilts.

The star in a reasonably priced whore.
    TBH I am a bit big downstairs. It is 7 inches long, which is around average, but very thick. Virtually the same girth as a coca-cola 500ML bottle. :(

Are we talking about the base of the bottle or the cap end? There's a considerable girth disparity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sex is great - but all the other stuff you have to deal with kinda takes the shine off. It's a bit hard for a guy to get in to it when you know that she's keeping score, and anything you do or say will be used against you later. The "zipless f**k" was just fiction. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Flygimp wrote: »
    What's with the pit bull as your signature...

There's a Pitbull in my signature?.. Seriously?.

As for the rest of your post which you edited out (wise move btw)..

My avatar - its me playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' with my daughter.

Sincerely yours - "Capt.BullSh*t" (your words, not mine).

Oh, I rarely use this - :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

t0mm13b wrote: »
    lol!! :D "magical with his finger".... sound like a rampant rabbit with a twist .... oh .... nvm... forget I ever suggested that... now the mods are watching this with a close eye....:rolleyes:
    Censorship of mere mention of a fairly tame sexual practice? I know there's mod-related paranoia but I really can't understand where that comes from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dudess wrote: »
    Censorship of mere mention of a fairly tame sexual practice? I know there's mod-related paranoia but I really can't understand where that comes from...

It's only since you left. I've seen... things. Unspeakable things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Is this another thread about digitalism?

Anyhoo, news just in...

Made a trek elsewhere yesterday, pretty much on the promise of getting my end away, through the wind and the snow, four hours on the train through a frosted landscape, and at the end of this journey, for but a few hours, I did get my end away.....

and it was totally worth it :pac::pac::pac:

At one stage, now check this out...

Because of paper thin walls and the proximity of house mates, there was a threat of a hand over the mouth at the moment of, ahem, climax *blood pumping at this stage due to the merest recollection*, but anyway, it was awesome and I don't use that word lightly.

Ha Ha. Sex. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Pete M. wrote: »

Anyhoo, news just in...

Made a trek elsewhere yesterday, pretty much on the promise of getting my end away, through the wind and the snow, four hours on the train through a frosted landscape, and at the end of this journey, for but a few hours, I did get my end away.....

Because of paper thin walls and the proximity of house mates, there was a threat of a hand over the mouth at the moment of, ahem, climax *blood pumping at this stage due to the merest recollection*, but anyway, it was awesome and I don't use that word lightly.

Ha Ha. Sex. Brilliant.

u're doing it right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kowloon wrote: »
    It's only since you left. I've seen... things. Unspeakable things.

and the world has chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanged...

...but not for a better woooooooooooooooooooorld!

oh no not me!

I did it...

herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr waaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mmm sex. act out some fantasies op, then tell me the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Pete M. wrote: »

Anyhoo, news just in...

Ha Ha. Sex. Brilliant.

Awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tupac10

sex is like surfing, If you do it right its the best thing in the world.. also like surfing if you do it wrong your gonna end up on your arse with salty liquid in your eye

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

most predictable thread response i've ever seen. the guy's obviously trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I remember in my teenage years always fantasizing about it, seeing Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira etc on TV. But when I did have sex, I thought "Why isn't this what it is supposed to be?".

It seems your mind makes it out to be a lot bigger than what it actually is, you spend a lot of time thinking about it but when it comes to the event you think "Meh". Anyone agree?

so corkman had any good sex since you started this thread.

tell us about the bad sex as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

CorkMan wishes he had a massive cock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement