Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time in heat, breeding??

• 04-12-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi people, I need some help. My mini jack russell pup is 8 months old and has just come in heat. Is it good bad or in differrent to breed dogs this young. Any advice greatly appreciated as my heart is broke keeping my Jack Dog away from her!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

8 months is away too young

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Ya i was thinking that, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi people, I need some help. My mini jack russell pup is 8 months old and has just come in heat. Is it good bad or in differrent to breed dogs this young. Any advice greatly appreciated as my heart is broke keeping my Jack Dog away from her!!!!!

8 months is too young. You might want to do a lot of research before deciding to breed or not to. There are many arguments against it, and many things can go wrong both for mother and pups. Actually there was a very good thread here recently, I'd recommend you read. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076345

As for your dog being after her; Thats going to happen every 6 months or so unless you get one of them neutered. In heat bitches and males can be so stressful! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, if you are having trouble keeping them seperate you might consider putting the male in boarding for a few weeks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP, if you are having trouble keeping them seperate you might consider putting the male in boarding for a few weeks ;)

I was just about to suggest this! You could always see if a friend or family member would take him for a few weeks too. Keeping males away from bitches in heat is very stressful for everyone involved and at 8 months she is way too young to breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

8 months is absolutely far too young, shes still only a baby herself. No dog should be bred from before they are at least 18 months old in my opinion.

Advertisement