Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone books

Options
  • 04-12-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Does anyone know who delivers the new phone books? Is it locals employed by Eircom?

My phone books were just thrown into the garden a few weeks ago instead of being left beside the door in the shelter like they usually are.
    I dont know how long they were there and with the flimsy torn plastic and all the rain they got soaked through.

I've had them propped up on/beside the radiator for over a week now but they are still soaked as they are so thick and dont think they'll dry out properly anytime soon so was going to try and get new ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nonsmoker wrote: »
    Does anyone know who delivers the new phone books? Is it locals employed by the ESB?
    Typical! Feckin ESB workers are now moonlighting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

muffler wrote: »
    Typical! Feckin ESB workers are now moonlighting :D

lol thanks for pointing that out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

AFAIK the delivery of the books is put out to tender or it used to be a few years ago. Not sure how that process worked but I recall a friend of mine doing it a good few years ago and he had his wife out helping him. He did say he'd never do it again though as there was far more work in it that what he anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

nonsmoker wrote: »
    Does anyone know who delivers the new phone books? Is it locals employed by Eircom?

My phone books were just thrown into the garden a few weeks ago instead of being left beside the door in the shelter like they usually are.
    I dont know how long they were there and with the flimsy torn plastic and all the rain they got soaked through.

I've had them propped up on/beside the radiator for over a week now but they are still soaked as they are so thick and dont think they'll dry out properly anytime soon so was going to try and get new ones.

I've got a couple of spare ones - they always leave one at my front door and another at my back door! If you're in the Letterkenny area you can PM me if you'd like to come and collect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

muffler wrote: »
    AFAIK the delivery of the books is put out to tender or it used to be a few years ago. Not sure how that process worked but I recall a friend of mine doing it a good few years ago and he had his wife out helping him. He did say he'd never do it again though as there was far more work in it that what he anticipated.

I used to work for a freight company whose role in it was basically just storage. They got them from an independant distribution company. IIRC ads went out for distributors in local papers and people came to the freight company to pick them up, mostly white van drivers looking to make a few extra quid, but actually had a woman appear in an estate car and load a ton and a half of phone books by hand (obviously) off a pallet into the car!! They all had their individual areas to deliver to and I had more than a few people shouting down the phone at me over them thinking it was the freight company responsible for them, some hadn't got theirs, others had been basically thrown in the gate, some people some every day for a week and even had a report of a load of them being dumped in a skip! This is going back a fair few years now but sounds like its the same kind of setup. Bring back the days when the postmen delivered them please!

• Advertisement
Advertisement