Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paulo Jnr Didn't Play Bass for Sepultura's Early Recordings

Options
  • 04-12-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Just something I read recently, wonder what you guys think about it
    Cody Thomas of Revolver magazine recently conducted an interview with Max Cavalera (SOULFLY, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, SEPULTURA). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Revolver: A few years ago, you reunited with [your brother and former SEPULTURA bandmate] Igor to form the CAVALERA CONSPIRACY. You two have a new album, "Blunt Force Trauma", coming out in March. Is it as straightforward as the last album?

Max: Yeah, it's even more. Marc [Rizzo, guitar] was saying, "Some of this **** sounds like CANNIBAL CORPSE." Igor's playing really good. His playing reminds me of when he was in SEPULTURA, top form. Like in "Arise" or "Beneath the Remains", and he was going super-fast and just killer energy from the drums. We wanted to make shorter songs, so a lot of the songs are a-minute-and-a-half or two-minutes long and kind of feel like "Raining Blood" a little bit when you listen to them, which is also different for us. We had one guest song with Roger [Miret] from AGNOSTIC FRONT. He sings in a song called "Lynch Mob" I think he's probably my favorite vocalist out of the whole New York hardcore era.

Revolver: Since we're talking about SEPULTURA, what influenced the beginning of that band?

Max: There was a band in Brazil that made us really want to get serious about starting a band. They were called DORSAL ATLÂNTICA and they were like the Brazilian VENOM. Really heavy, super-Satanic, painted faces, inverted crosses in their forehead and ****. Just crazy **** live. And we were like, "Dude, we've got to get like those guys. Those guys are brutal." That was one of the inspirations that made me go, "If they are Brazilian and they are doing it, then we can do it."

Revolver: SEPULTURA in their current lineup recently announced they'd be playing the album "Arise" in its entirety. But weren't you the primary writer for SEPULTURA around then?

Max: At home I did the same style of writing I do with SOULFLY. I give credit to the guys. Igor came up with a lot of the original beats, like to "Territory". As we got better, he played better. The only musician that didn't improve much at the time was Paulo [Jr., bass]. I think the first album he recorded for was "Roots". Everything else was me and Andreas [Kisser, guitar] doing the bass because he couldn't really play that good. But we were friends, so we were like, "Yeah you can stay in the band, we won't kick you out. When we play, we'll just turn you really down so nobody hears."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

respect for keeping their mate involved. It didn't stick out till now in my mind anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I call shenanigans on this one. Never heard about anything like this until now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think the first album he recorded for was "Roots"
    Wow, that's quite surprising. Roots was released in 1996 and their first album, Bestial Devastation, was released in 1985. Mate or not, surely he'd have been kicked out of the band if he couldn't play bass to a high enough standard to do studio recordings after a few months, never mind years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Max Cavalera says lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Load of ****e, he was playing bass at the gig I saw them play back in 1993/4 (can't fecking remember) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

dcr22B wrote: »
    Load of ****e, he was playing bass at the gig I saw them play back in 1993/4 (can't fecking remember) :P

Way to read lad!

However, how the hell did he not pick up Sepultura bass lines in 10 years. Its either rubbish or Paulo is severely f***ing lazy and thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

dcr22B wrote: »

Apparently people have commented on the Revolver website and Blabbermouth to say that in Brazil this was common knowledge and that it was Paulo's family who asked for him to be kept in the band.

According to Wikipedia, and Roadrunner Records, there is a VHS called Under Siege in which Paulo says he was asked to join the band because Max and Igor loved his bass - even though Paulo admits he didn't know how to play it

I have absolutely no proof of this other than another Internet posting, but just wanted to share the information. Personally I think it's bollocks - met Paulo this year and got his bass pick in Newcastle - and it's well used! And besides, as the only original member of the group, it might be just an effort to discredit him!

However, according to the official Sepultura website, his grasp of English hasn't been fully realised....and neither has his use of un-PC words
    http://sepultura.uol.com.br/v6/en/profiles-paulo.php

Advertisement