Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiling shower area, prime new skim or not?

• 04-12-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

new house, plaster last june, heat on since Oct.

i have a few showers to tile, we are just doing the floors and behind the showers....

my question is, should i prime the new skim walls with a pva glue like unibond before tiling. u read some say do and some say dont.. . anyone done it either way with success?

i also have one wall in the shower which im going to tile which was painted accidently. . what should i do here?

all help appriceated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its fresh plaster, then you'll need to prime the walls with PVA before you tile, to stop the moisture from soaking through the plaster when the adhesive goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Hi all,

new house, plaster last june, heat on since Oct.

i have a few showers to tile, we are just doing the floors and behind the showers....

my question is, should i prime the new skim walls with a pva glue like unibond before tiling. u read some say do and some say dont.. . anyone done it either way with success?

i also have one wall in the shower which im going to tile which was painted accidently. . what should i do here?

all help appriceated.
    get thisthle bond in your hardware about 35 a bucket prime areas where tiles are going brilliant for adhesion and sorting out your troubles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would follow the adhesive manufacturers' instructions and telephone them with any further query if necessary.

I would not use PVA in a bathroom unless specifically advised by the manufacturer of either the PVA or the adhesive. The isssue is that if there is a lot of steam in the bathroom, it might weaken the PVA bond to the wall. (The tile adhesive, is stuck to the PVA so if the PVA fails, the tile will fall off).

I recently did a bathroom and did not use PVA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Never use PVA on new plaster just contact the makers of the skimcoat they will confirm this 100%

Advertisement