Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lefties Playing Right-Handed

Options
  • 04-12-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm left-handed but I play the guitar right-handed and always have. I didn't even realise left-handed guitars existed until I dug my father's old acoustic out of my parents garage years ago. At that point I noticed that the likes of Cobain, McCartney and of course Hendrix did hold their instruments the other way around :).

So, for the lefty guitar/bass players on here I'm just curious if you're like me and play right-handed.

Apologies for any double entendres people may find in this thread. :pac:

For lefties: Which way do you play the guitar? 14 votes

I'm left-handed and I play the guitar right-handed.
    0%
    I'm left-handed and I play the guitar left-handed.
    71%
    MaliceOrando BroomIomega ManartvanduletFringeCountingCrowsStrings.iepablomakavelistephenshields2RC88 10 votes
    I can play with both hands.
    28%
    GaspodeHoagybigbazteekayd25 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I can play with both hands.
    When I was thinking of starting off I tried a righty guitar for a while but it just didn't suit. Anyway, my hero at the time Tony Iommi was a lefty so I just went with it. Sometimes I hate being lefthanded esp when trying to find a new instrument as the choice is so very poor. But at least at gigs and parties, no-one can dick around with my guitars!

I am currently trying to learn the double bass which is strung right-handed and it's really proving tricky, but I'm getting there. If it works out I'll be able to claim to be ambidextrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Hmmm... The third option just reminds me of Michael Angelo Batio... And let's not go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm left handed and I play right handed. To be honest, I don't think it has made much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Fringe wrote: »
    I don't think it has made much of a difference.
    How do you mean? Obviously there's a difference in availability of instruments or do you mean in terms of your playing style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

I'm lefty, but learned to play right handed cos all my fathers guitars were right handed! :D

Then I wonder, if I DID learn to play lefty like I "should" be doing, would I be some sort of fret wizard?? :confused:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I remember thinking that, because my left hand is my dominant hand, it should be doing the fretting of notes leaving the right hand to just hold the pick. By that logic of course, the vast majority of right-handed players are doing it wrong :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Malice_ wrote: »
    I remember thinking that, because my left hand is my dominant hand, it should be doing the fretting of notes leaving the right hand to just hold the pick. By that logic of course, the vast majority of right-handed players are doing it wrong :).

i figured this too, im right handed yet play guitar left handed, i think im really left handed though, but i do different things with differrent hands, but i write with my right hand which usually is the starting point for saying what you dominant hand is

just do whats natural

Scientific Left Handed Facts

* Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
    * More likely to have allergies
    * More prone to migraines
    * More likely to be insomniacs
    * Use the right side of the brain the most
    * Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
    * More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
    * Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
    * More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
    * Twice as likely to be a man
    * Better at 3D perception and thinking
    * Better at multi-tasking
    * Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
    * More likely to be homosexual

bit pointless, but fun

http://leftyfretz.com/25-facts-about-left-handed-people

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Malice_ wrote: »

I heard an interview with Mark Knopfler years ago where he said he's left handed but plays right handed, and (iirc) he said it made him a stronger player. But then again he plays a lot of fingerstyle which kind of goes against that theory because he would be using his right hand more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

i'm a lefty, play right handed cause my right was'nt strong enough to play the frets and it was better at fingerpicking and holding a plectrum than my left.

first day i tried to buy a guitar, i picked up a left handed and it just did'nt feel right, i thought that i was'nt suited to playing guitar and left it at that for two years, till i read an article in a magazine bout left handed guitar players which had the the usual bunch (jimi hendrix,kurt cobain,paul mccarthey,tony iommi,etc), but was curious and surprised when they mentioned mark knoffler,noel gallagher,joe perry,steve cropper,daune allman and ritchie blackmore as left handed but play guitar right handed, this shocked me and i went to my local shop to try a right handed one, it felt majestic in my hands and i bought one that same day and i have never looked back

plus since my left is my stronger hand its suited to pressing the frets
    i'll just finish quoting that if you should always try a left and right handed guitar to see which one suits u, cause ya never no till u check

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Gaspode wrote: »
    When I was thinking of starting off I tried a righty guitar for a while but it just didn't suit. Anyway, my hero at the time Tony Iommi was a lefty so I just went with it. Sometimes I hate being lefthanded esp when trying to find a new instrument as the choice is so very poor. But at least at gigs and parties, no-one can dick around with my guitars!

I am currently trying to learn the double bass which is strung right-handed and it's really proving tricky, but I'm getting there. If it works out I'll be able to claim to be ambidextrous!

That's a class instrument, always loved the sound

• Advertisement
Advertisement