Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ran out of oil! cant restart boiler?

• 04-12-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

We ran out of oil last night- now that we have oil the boiler wont restart- Help!

Its a firebird c26 silverbox boiler ive tried hitting the big red restart button ( about as far as my knowledge goes!) Nothing doing- Any ideas?

Comments

it probably needs to be bled, I'll let someone else help you with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

stick up a photo of the boiler quick if ya can on your phone or whatever and we'll show u where to bleed it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

The boiler?

boiler is bled and will start when I turn up the thermostat on the boiler but switches off after a few seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

it needs to be bled more, press the restart button with the bleed nipple open slightly so it pours out a bit. it needs to run clear no bubbles, do it a few times then leave it for awhile if it keeps knocking off and try again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Slacken the flexyhose as it enters the burner if you'r short of tools.

Have given in - it now doesnt start at all- Rang the plumber!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Have given in - it now doesnt start at all- Rang the plumber!

how to bleed ur oil boiler
    Sparkpea wrote: »
    yes if ur a competent enough person and have a spanner. I'm guessing the light on the burner is coming on...

Anyway follow the oil hose into the burner (maybe need to take the casing off for a better view), there should be a nut beside/behind where the hose connects into - normally about a size 16 spanner should do it, loosen it off a little bit until oil starts to drip freely out of it, then press the red button on the burner and it might/should start to come out of it quicker as the oil pump will draw it through then tighten it up and fingers crossed thats it. u may need to do it a few times as its ur first time trying it.

also u should only need the spanner to loosen and tighten the nut everything else should be done by hand (screwing the nut out a bit etc.)

if ur still stuck let me know what burner it is and i'll see if I can point u in a better direction

• Registered Users Posts: 21 unique nickname

Hi Guys,
    Any help with this appreciated...I left the tank run dry and now the boiler (Riello) won't restart. The boiler is outside the house and approx 20m from tank, I have unscrewed a hexagonal shaped nut from underneath the boiler and turned the pump on at least 25 times now but still no oil is being pulled thru, have I unscrewed the right thing?? There is a screw type thing with a flat head top facing me on the pump, is this what I should be bleeding?? Should I press the reset button everytime I turn the pump on?? Thanks in advance.
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

The bleed point is on the side of the pump about 3/4 way up. Undo it slightly with an allen key and press the reset button. The oil should come through if not then you could check the filter at the tank. If the filter has a nut on top open it slightly as it may be airlocked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I might be wrong but you give me the impression that you're venting the circulating pump.
    To vent the oil remove the red cover from the oil burner, the vent nipple is on the left side or slacken the flexi hose where it enters the burner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

You might have to unscrew the feed and make sure the pipe isn't air locked. Then bleed the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

buy yourself a tiger loop and have it fitted no more probs when u run out of oil

Advertisement