Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Tax Refund - I need help

Options
  • 04-12-2010 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I always had some questions about those taxes. Nobody had patience enough to solve my doubts. I've gone to the Tax Office so many times and always had different informations and most of then false.

PRSI = Does this tax refers to the retirement?

As I'm not going to retire here, I'm a Brazilian student, Am I entitled to refund it?

All of it or just a percentage?

PAYE = What about this tax.

When I got my very first job, they started to charge me this tax. But after fill the P21 they've stopped. But somehow they again are charging me this tax. Do I have to go to the Tax Office and Fill up the form again?

Do you know why are they charging me this tax again?

Am I entitled to refund this tax?

If yes, All or just part of it?

INCOMING LEVY: Am I entitled to refund this tax?

If Yes, All of it or just a percentage?

Would you tell me how to proceed on those 3 cases?

Some useful informations:

I work as a Security
    Admission: 24/03/2010
    Earn: 10.01 per hour.
    Hours week: It depends, not less then 40. But I Usually do over 50 on 2 or 3 weeks during the month.
    Situation: Student Visa.

Cumulative Details

Gross pay: 16971.95
    Non-tax Deds: 30.03
    Taxable pay: 16941.92
    Tax Credit T.D: 3308.33
    Cut-off T.D: 32900.00
    Tax Paid: 80.05

Tax/PRSI Details

Tax code: N
    Emer St. Per:
    Tax credit T.P: 70.39
    Pay Rel. code: A1
    Total INS WK: 32

Comments

Emper PRSI Per: 61.07
    Emper PRSI T.D: 1615.07

I appreciate your help guys... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

PRSI = Pay Related Social Insurance
    This is not an income tax but is used for claims from the Dept. of Social Welfare
    Persons issued with E101 certificates as migrant workers within the EU or non- EU nationals on temporary assignment to Ireland may be exempt from paying PRSI contributions.
    See http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/prsi_refunds.aspx#5
    Generally speaking PRSI is not refundable

PAYE = Pay As You Earn
    This is income tax
    And yes you have to pay it
    Your taxable pay for the year so far is €16,941.92 (gross less deductions)
    As your Standard Rate Cut off Point (SCROP) for 2010 is €32,900 you are liable for tax at the lower rate (20%) and would only pay higher rate tax if your earnings go above €33k

Tax @ 20% on your taxable pay = 16,941.92 x 20% = 3,388.39
    Tax credits are deducted from this
    Your tax credits YTD are 3,308.33 which means this year so far you will have been liable for €80.06 in PAYE which is what you have paid so it is correct and no you cannot claim it back unless you leave Ireland before the 31st of December

Income Levy
    As your income exceeds €15,000 for the year you are not entitled to a refund to the best of my knowledge
    See here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/income-levy-refunds.html

Advertisement