Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head Lamp Disaster!

• 04-12-2010 6:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Went to head to the shops a few minutes ago and had to turn back.
    I have a 01 C5 and went to head out of the driveway when I realised the Headlights weren't on, then I noticed I had turned them on but they hadn't responded.
    The beams work fine, but not a jot out of the dipped lights.
    Any thoughts?
    Why would both sides fail at the same time?
    Is the dips and beams individually fused?
    Could that have blown?
    A bit of help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

the cold can have an effect on the elements first very cold then red hot.
    if one went then the second can follow quickly.just change the bulbs and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Always check the fuses first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

dips and beams should have seperate fuses.. iirc on my car (seat leon) there are four fuses.. 1 for diped and 1 for main on each side... it is quiet possible for both dips to fail at once.. have seen it happen a few times.. usually with h4 bulbs do (bulbs with dip and main beam in one bulb) not sure what setup is in your car do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you sure both were working up to now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sean1141 wrote: »
    dips and beams should have seperate fuses.. iirc on my car (seat leon) there are four fuses.. 1 for diped and 1 for main on each side... it is quiet possible for both dips to fail at once.. have seen it happen a few times.. usually with h4 bulbs do (bulbs with dip and main beam in one bulb) not sure what setup is in your car do

afaik dips and beams are seperate in a C5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just go to your boot and get the spare bulbs to change them. Once thats done and the fuse is checked you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Do the simple checks first, grab a multimeter (Or borrow one, they're only about 15 euro for a basic one) - and check the resistance through the bulbs. Doesn't matter what value you get as long as you get a value. If the value is 1, then you've a blown bulb.

Check that first before doing anything. Oh, and if you do take the bulb out to check it, don't touch the glass, hold it with a cloth or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Bulbs, amazing the number of people driving around with one dip or 1 high beam. Then when the other one goes, they have "no lights". (Obviously!!) :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good point, I'll try changing the bulbs, the fuses are fine though.
    Also the side lights and the main dipped beams are gone at at the same time.
    And my local grease monkey is off over the weekend, naturally!
    Arse!
    I'll swing by Halfords and buy a set of bulbs.

Gods, I wish I didn't own a Citroen!
    I'm buying an old Almera next time, easy to fix, slow to break, and it has suspension normal people can understand, not to mention a handbrake attached to the back, like it should be... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

So all of your front lights have failed..??
    How about the tail lights..??
    If all have failed then its either your comms unit (Stalk on steering wheel) or a bsi problem. (bsi controls all your lights,clocking,wipers etc.
    Are your indicators..wipers,horn working...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Good point, I'll try changing the bulbs, the fuses are fine though.
    Also the side lights and the main dipped beams are gone at at the same time.
    And my local grease monkey is off over the weekend, naturally!
    Arse!
    I'll swing by Halfords and buy a set of bulbs.

Gods, I wish I didn't own a Citroen!
    I'm buying an old Almera next time, easy to fix, slow to break, and it has suspension normal people can understand, not to mention a handbrake attached to the back, like it should be... :(

Read this thread and do more Googling if you believe an old (pre-2006) Almera will solve your headlamp problems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Row wrote: »
    So all of your front lights have failed..??
    How about the tail lights..??
    If all have failed then its either your comms unit (Stalk on steering wheel) or a bsi problem. (bsi controls all your lights,clocking,wipers etc.
    Are your indicators..wipers,horn working...?

Seems his beams are working but the dips and the sidelights have gone, all at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I turn on lights the dash light comes on as does the light to say the dipped headlights are on, the tail lights are on too, but no actual headlights are on. Then, flicking the light stalk, the high beams come on, as normal.
    The fuses are fine, its either bulbs or something serious, bugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stekelly wrote: »
    Just go to your boot and get the spare bulbs to change them. Once thats done and the fuse is checked you should be grand.

...I see what you did there.... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Just fitted new bulbs and still no joy, arse.
    Going to have to quiz mechanic in the morning

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just fitted new bulbs and still no joy, arse.
    Going to have to quiz mechanic in the morning

Does sound like either (1) a faulty comms unit or (2)a fault within the bsi.(3)a connection/wiring problem.

(1)Maybe fiddle with the light switch and get someone to keep an eye on the low beams while you do this.

(2)maybe remove the lower panel knee level and see can you see a black box around 6inchs square with small fuses on it...this is you bsi.
    check these fuses and maybe tap the bsi as some of the relays within the bsi maybe sticking.

(3)Check the light fitting connections where the plug connects onto the bulb..if you have a bad connection then you will have no lights.
    if you have a mulitmeter check for supply voltage when the low beams are turned on.
    Tbh this would be the first thing to check...:)
    Best of luck with it.

Checked the wiring diagrams for the C5 and the dipped beam is feed from fuse 9&10 (engine bay fusebox) check for 12volts each side of these fuses when the dipped beam switch is turned on...if you have no voltage both sides of fuse 9&10 then has to be a faulty coms switch or a fault within the bsi itself....if you have voltage both sides of fuse 9&10 then it must be a wiring/connector fault.

Turns out one of the dips blew and took the relay with it, so more new bulbs, new relay, all is well, thank the gods.
    Stuck with the C5 a while longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The COMMS2000 lives on for another while.......only a matter of time before the indicators turn on the lights, or the wipers decide for themselves whether it's raining or not.:D

Advertisement