Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA World Cup UK World Cup Bid - Not a soccer fan but England shoulda got it.

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a soccer fan in any real sense but I always fancied going to the World Cup at least for 1 game.

I know the English can be annoying with their we invented the game and we are going to win the World Cup everytime but you could imagine all the happy smiley faces if they were to host the competition.

Another example of World Cup cheating -like what happened us at the "hands" of the French.

So for all the British/English out there - I'm with ya - you was robbed and I feel your pain. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wouldn't say they were completely robbed, but Qatar getting the 2022 WC is probably what's winding them up just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Why would FIFA want a world cup in England. Having it in Russia expands a growing market and having it in the middle east opens up a whole new market. England has no room for growth so there is nothing to gain because football in the uk cant get any bigger.

While FIFA is a nonprofit organisation it is still a business, the more money it makes the more money it's CEO makes and isn't the aim of FIFA to spread football around the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

South Africa was fairly inaccessable -and Russia & Qatar.As Miley used to say "Well Holy God".

Anyway, its like the Eurovision -partisan and Ireland does not even have a vote.

I didn't watch that either. I didn't watch any World Cup Games either last time -no pizzazz..

The English take their football seriously and should be a host country. Its only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

CDfm wrote: »
    The English take their football seriously and should be a host country. Its only fair.

LOL. The Russians don't?

I don't understand that argument at all. You realise the aim of FIFA is to increase the market for football around the world?

It may act as a nonprofit organisation but it's a business with CEO's who want even bigger wages.

You're just a romanticising a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I don't understand that argument at all. You realise the aim of FIFA is to increase the market for football around the world?

It may act as a nonprofit organisation but it's a business with CEO's who want even bigger wages.

That's not true though.
    FIFA, world football’s governing body, made the decision despite the England 2018 team claiming that it could host the “most commercially successful World Cup ever”.

England’s bid scored 100% across the board for ticketing, TV and media rights, sponsorship, hospitality and merchandise/licensing, better than any rivals, including Russia, according to management consultants McKinsey.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/sectors/sport/england-2018-world-cup-bid-fails/3021270.article

You are correct in saying that it is a business and a corrupt one at that. You only need to look at the pricing of tickets especially in the recent world cup in South Africa. Those were exactly encouraging those of lower income from poorer backgrounds to attend the games. The Russian bid of itself is just a little suspicious but the fact that Qatar will host the following world cup is the final straw for a lot of people. Giving it to any of the other countries would have had a much bigger impact than giving it to Qatar. Fifa are a commercial organisation and they will always favor the route that will give them the most money. If you look at the ranking system it is frequently used to keep the larger and more commercially successful teams at the world cup or other championships.

I don't understand that argument at all.

No its a happy thing.

I think they should have gotten it and it would have given a huge feelgood factor to England and here.

Whats wrong with romantising something people have an emotional attachment to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvT50eGKQrqaZ1cdbFP-x2YqpXRQMAFS9Ezz57ecOu3VsW7UwTKw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

england is inaccessible if you kite in russia. Besides the english would just riot. Soccer scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

It's about development.
    Russia will pull the finger out and build a lot of new stadia ahead of 2018.
    Plus it will leave a legacy in that country for football as in 2002 and 2010.
    England - football couldn't be any more popular than it is already.
    Makes sense to me.

Plus a nice contribution to Blatter's pension was well appreciated I am sure. :D

ted1 wrote: »
    england is inaccessible if you kite in russia. Besides the english would just riot. Soccer scum.

And the Russians don't :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's about development.
    Russia will pull the finger out and build a lot of new stadia ahead of 2018.
    Plus it will leave a legacy in that country for football as in 2002 and 2010.
    England - football couldn't be any more popular than it is already.
    Makes sense to me.

Plus a nice contribution to Blatter's pension was well appreciated I am sure. :D
    Blatter is President for Life, so there'll be no need for a pension and the 2022 final will be between Adidas and Nike.

I don't see the 2018 leaving any legacy among the vast majority of people in Russia, i.e those who aren't mafioso or oligarchs. They won't even be able to afford to go to any of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

They got 2 votes and one of them was their own. Instead of trying to play FIFA's corrupt schmooze fest, which they clearly aren't very good at, the likes of the English FA should be exposing FIFA for sham it is. Rip it up and start again.

Blatter is President for Life, so there'll be no need for a pension and the 2022 final will be between Adidas and Nike.

A President for Life - now thats dictatorship terretory.:eek:

Rubik. wrote: »
    They got 2 votes and one of them was their own. Instead of trying to play FIFA's corrupt schmooze fest, which they clearly aren't very good at, the likes of the English FA should be exposing FIFA for sham it is. Rip it up and start again.

Its like X-factor World Cup or an I'm the World Cup Get me Out of Here.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    That's not true though.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/sectors/sport/england-2018-world-cup-bid-fails/3021270.article

You are correct in saying that it is a business and a corrupt one at that. You only need to look at the pricing of tickets especially in the recent world cup in South Africa. Those were exactly encouraging those of lower income from poorer backgrounds to attend the games. The Russian bid of itself is just a little suspicious but the fact that Qatar will host the following world cup is the final straw for a lot of people. Giving it to any of the other countries would have had a much bigger impact than giving it to Qatar. Fifa are a commercial organisation and they will always favor the route that will give them the most money. If you look at the ranking system it is frequently used to keep the larger and more commercially successful teams at the world cup or other championships.

First off that's just a CLAIM made by england. I wasn't talking about just during the world cup I was talking about the entire middle east who might start to take an interest in football.

No its a happy thing.

I think they should have gotten it and it would have given a huge feelgood factor to England and here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvT50eGKQrqaZ1cdbFP-x2YqpXRQMAFS9Ezz57ecOu3VsW7UwTKw
    Why should FIFA make decisions based on what makes England feel good. They're a business. Do Topaz lower the price of petrol because it would make us feel good?:D
    It doesn't lead to logical arguments instead we end up with emotional arguments like "The world cup should be England because I really wanted it to be"

A President for Life - now thats dictatorship terretory.:eek:

Its like X-factor World Cup or an I'm the World Cup Get me Out of Here.
    It's a private company not a government, it is only in control of people who willingly put themselves under their control or governments who put their people under the control of FIFA's rules but that is still done with the will of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Why give it to Russia and Qatar? Spread the game bollix. Reward the racists. Reward their human rights record. These countries should have to sort themselves out before getting the world cup.

England's football hooliganism is nothing compared to what it used to be. Where is their reward for their improvements? Without those english fans, the premier league would be nothing. It all started with them. Where is their reward for being so loyal and passionate about their football? Sure give it to Qatar, spread the game, wonderful. Infuriating. Corrupt.

Hate or Love the english, they deserve something.

Like another poster said, rip it up and start again. Fifa is evil to the core and i'm ashamed that men like them run the game i love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

lol why do england and their fans deserve a world cup?

Gerty wrote: »
    Why give it to Russia and Qatar? Spread the game bollix. Reward the racists.

Hate or Love the english, they deserve something.

Exactly what I think

It doesn't lead to logical arguments instead we end up with emotional arguments like "The world cup should be England because I really wanted it to be"
    It's a private company not a government, it is only in control of people who willingly put themselves under their control or governments who put their people under the control of FIFA's rules but that is still done with the will of the people.

Like any entertainment it is about the fans too - English fans are passionate about football but were not always passionate about the international game.

It is becoming WWE -with these choices but WWE goes to the fans.

So yes the English fans deserve the spectacle for their support and the choices of South Africa, Russia & Qatar are extreme.

Its not just the English fans but the northern european fans who would enjoy it.

Gerty wrote: »
    These countries should have to sort themselves out before getting the world cup. .
    lol you realise Qatar has one of the highest standard of living in the world?:D

• Advertisement

Exactly what I think

Like any entertainment it is about the fans too - English fans are passionate about football but were not always passionate about the international game.

It is becoming WWE -with these choices but WWE goes to the fans.

So yes the English fans deserve the spectacle for their support and the choices of South Africa, Russia & Qatar are extreme.

Its not just the English fans but the northern european fans who would enjoy it.

You realise that sort of thinking would mean it hardly ever left Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

lol you realise Qatar has one of the highest standard of living in the world?:D

We're not talking about standard of living here. It's the right to live how you want. For example, 'A man convicted of having sexual relations with another man older than 16 is subject to a sentence of seven years in prison under section 285 of the criminal law. There were an unknown number of cases before the courts during the year. There were no lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) organizations in the country.'- That was 2009

You realise that sort of thinking would mean it hardly ever left Europe?

I know and Columbus would never have discovered America or man would not have landed on the moon. ;)

It isn't selfish to want it in our neighbouring country for a cheap trip to a world cup game. So it may benefit me too & lots of other Irish people.

Hey, and,there is the fun aspect you don't get with the Olympics which is so serious.
    BCC4LYFE wrote: »
    lol why do england and their fans deserve a world cup?

The World Cup is the dogs anatomical appendage of sporting competitions. I don't see why the British fans & people don't have the opportunity to stage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The World Cup is the dogs anatomical appendage of sporting competitions. I don't see why the British fans & people don't have the opportunity to stage it.
    There's always something corporate-smelling when it comes to FIFA; two countries with more than their fair share of oligarchs and representations of the 'nouveau riche' that are currently destroying the English domestic game get the World Cup in the same day.

I'd like to think it's because of the negative reaction to Germany getting the World Cup over South Africa in 2006 that the opportunity is spreading out to countries in the east, but I doubt it.

When you look at it, France, Italy and Germany have staged it twice, Sweden, Switzerland and England have staged it once; that's alot of tournaments for one small corner of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Does anyone think Ireland should host the worldcup??

We have more/bigger/better stadiums than quatar.

Better weather for it.

More accomidating to fans. (the women especially)

We are bigger than quatar.

No?? Me either so why the **** should quatar get it?

There's always something corporate-smelling when it comes to FIFA; two countries with more than their fair share of oligarchs and representations of the 'nouveau riche' that are currently destroying the English domestic game get the World Cup in the same day.

I'd like to think it's because of the negative reaction to Germany getting the World Cup over South Africa in 2006 that the opportunity is spreading out to countries in the east, but I doubt it.

When you look at it, France, Italy and Germany have staged it twice, Sweden, Switzerland and England have staged it once; that's alot of tournaments for one small corner of the world.
    4 out of 6 are world cup winners with a history of football

Very good point and England have not held it since 1966 so for a major footballing nation they should have a reasonable expectation of hosting it.
    4 out of 6 are world cup winners with a history of football

Like it or not , you could stage the next world cup in England and it would accomodate it with great facilities.

There is something almost childlike in the English belief that they can win the World Cup and get robbed every time. The enthusiasm would be infectious and teams would love to play new Wembley or Old Trafford.

It would be a deadly buzz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

What about the fact that Qatar does not admit Israelis? Sure they said they would let the team participate should it qualify but what about the fans?

Sport is meant to transcend boundaries, this stinks of cushie pay offs

Very good point and England have not held it since 1966 so for a major footballing nation they should have a reasonable expectation of hosting it.

Like it or not , you could stage the next world cup in England and it would accomodate it with great facilities.

There is something almost childlike in the English belief that they can win the World Cup and get robbed every time. The enthusiasm would be infectious and teams would love to play new Wembley or Old Trafford.

It would be a deadly buzz :D
    To be fair to england think of it this way, they got the highest marks out of all the bids.

It'd be like going for a job, being the best candidate in every criteria they're looking for, but the job going to the flat chested ugly one who promised she'd get a tit job and some plastic surgery down the line

• Advertisement

What about the fact that Qatar does not admit Israelis? Sure they said they would let the team participate should it qualify but what about the fans?

Sport is meant to transcend boundaries, this stinks of cushie pay offs

Its 41 C/ 106 F 48/ 115 during the summer and its not exactly las vegas.Its a desert peninsula.

I don't know what people did in South Africa or how they spent their time but this place will be highly regulated.

What about all the fans -it will be expensive to get there and stay there.

but the job going to the flat chested ugly one who promised she'd get a tit job and some plastic surgery down the line

Pete Burns for Miss World :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement