Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too early to start viewing places?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I will be moving county from the first week of January, but with Christmas etc getting in the way, and being in a completely different county at present, I had been thinking of going to view some places around the 17th/18th dec. Is this too early given that I am not ready to move in until say January 4th or so? If Christmas was not in the way I definitely would leave it until nearer the end of the month but I figure arranging viewings may be very difficult Christmas week? Ideally I suppose I'd pay a non-refundable holding deposit from the 17th say and then start paying rent from the 3rd of Jan or so. Does anyone know if this would typically be very unacceptable to a landlord? Would they only want sombody who will move in and start paying rent straight away? Sorry if it's a stupid question - I have never rented before. :o:o

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Typically (from my experience anyway) they will hold the place for you for a week, maybe two, if you can provide references from previous landlord and/or pay part or all of the deposit (basically show you are serious and not intending to dick them around). It depends on where the place is and what kind of money they are looking for. Some places are very popular and the landlord will have no problems getting someone in straight away so they might not be bothered waiting a fortnight for you. Other places are harder to rent and the landlord would most likely be glad to wait a fortnight if it means getting in a tenant.

What with it being over Christmas the landlord might be glad to get a tenent sorted before Christmas to move in straight after. I suppose all you can do is ask them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

things generally go very quiet in the run up to xmas for sales and lettings, so i cant see it being a problem, if was any other time of year landlords might be hesitant, as the previous poster said all you can do is ask and make arrangements from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks guys that's what I was hoping. I mean I imagine if a place is not rented by say 20th December, they probably wouldn't be inundated with viewers until january anyway and the chance oif renting it before then would be quite low, so may not mind as much.

I guess I just wanted some feedback before picking a date and booking a hotel to stay in for when I travel down to view some places and if it was way too early, i could have left it a few days later or so.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will be quiet this month and it may suit some people to give viewings, but may not suit others who are in the middle of doing their Christmas thing.

If paying money, get a receipt. If paying a deposit, make sure it is stated as the security deposit (usually refundable), not a booking deposit (usually **not** refundable). If you want to take a place there and then, agree what date the rent is payable from and get a copy of the contract. **Read** the contract and do not be forced into signing it immediately - if you have to, ask for an hour and go get a cup of coffee and read it.

Advertisement