Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants parents landline number

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi

I am moving into a new house shortly and have paid my deposit. The landlord asked for me to send on a few details for the lease such as pps no and DOB. But he also asked for a landline number. We all just have our mobile number. He said he would like our parents ones just in case.

The problem with this is that im 27 and the other two are older than me. I have not lived at home for a long time and dont see why I would have to give any details like that for my own lease. If he wanted references or ID I would have no problem giving that.

Should I object to giving this? Fair enough if I was a first year student. I am a mature student and the others are full time workers.

Anyone ever got asked this before??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol no, I wouldn't give it anyway but I'd tell him or her the truth why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

rabbit.84 wrote: »
    Hi

I am moving into a new house shortly and have paid my deposit. The landlord asked for me to send on a few details for the lease such as pps no and DOB. But he also asked for a landline number. We all just have our mobile number. He said he would like our parents ones just in case.

The problem with this is that im 27 and the other two are older than me. I have not lived at home for a long time and dont see why I would have to give any details like that for my own lease. If he wanted references or ID I would have no problem giving that.

Should I object to giving this? Fair enough if I was a first year student. I am a mature student and the others are full time workers.

Anyone ever got asked this before??

Not a chance I'd give him my parent's number. My parents have nothing to do with where I live and the landlord would have no reason to have their number.

If he insists on having a landline number you could try signing up to a VoIP service that gives an inbound number and redirects it to your mobile. E.g Blueface.ie offer a Irish non-geo (076) number if you put 5 euro into a pay as you go account

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

I haven't rented in a long long time.
    PPS number:eek::eek::eek:
    Really?
    It seems like there's nothing private anymore.

Would the landlord give you his PPS and parents home phone number?

I understand he has a huge investment but i think thats going a bit far.
    Maybe there should be a better system in place for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

smurra3 wrote: »
    I haven't rented in a long long time.
    PPS number:eek::eek::eek:
    Really?
    It seems like there's nothing private anymore.

Would the landlord give you his PPS and parents home phone number?

I understand he has a huge investment but i think thats going a bit far.
    Maybe there should be a better system in place for this kind of thing.

You have to give your PPS number so he can register your tenancy with revenue / PRTB. You should also get his PPS number so you can sign up for rent relief etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Well im glad im not the only one who thought it was crazy. I will have to tell him no and see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If it's an issue move on. Very simple really. The landlord has outlined his terms if your not happy speak to him or go else where

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Oh.
    That makes sense.
    Well surely that should be enough.
    If you burn the place down all he has to do is give the PPS number to the guards.
    I don't think he needs much more personal information.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

matrim wrote: »
    You have to give your PPS number so he can register your tenancy with revenue / PRTB. You should also get his PPS number so you can sign up for rent relief etc.

Yea thats what I thought. I have no problems handing over my details, just not my parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why does he want your DoB?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why does he want your DoB?

PRTB registration Id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you were under 18 I could see the reasoning, but the fact that you're in your late 20s and s/he's asking for your parents' phone number seems a bit odd...

I'd just tell them that your parents have nothing to do with your lease and that because of that you won't be giving him their personal details. As the others have said, if s/he's not happy with that then you'll look elsewhere. There's lots of places to rent out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Contact details for Next of Kin? ? ? ?

I am renting a flat and way asked to provide NoK details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Just say your parents don't consent.

As for next of kin, that info can be obtained after the fact. I.e. if the very worst happened, you all died, the Gardaí would find that info. Otherwise your flatmates would be able to furnish the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

there's no way i'd give him their number, op

you may be a student, but you're a mature one, not some 18 yr old fresher who's gonna trash the place and do a runner, and the other tenants are a decent age too

i'd simply tell him your tenancy agreement has nothing to do with your parents and you see no reason to provide their number.

if he has an issue with that, go elsewhere.

Advertisement