Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

logging in

Options
  • 28-11-2004 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

wots the crack with you have 5 chances to log in or your ip will be banned for 15 minutes, this isnt a bank, so whats with all the silly security, I would hazad a guess that a very large amount of the users mon to fri are workers behind a poxy server, ie in theory one person could effectively disable boards for everybody behind a poxy by attempting to log in wrongly evry 15 mins, i think its a needless feature that should be turned off
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

wots the crack with you have 5 chances to log in or your ip will be banned for 15 minutes, this isnt a bank, so whats with all the silly security, I would hazad a guess that a very large amount of the users mon to fri are workers behind a poxy server, ie in theory one person could effectively disable boards for everybody behind a poxy by attempting to log in wrongly evry 15 mins, i think its a needless feature that should be turned off
    Jesus, you'd want to have some boring-ass job to try that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What's the deal with having to try and log in 5 times.....

John

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First post here requesting a security thing to be turned off.... yeah.

Look. A Flying Pig ----> *insert ascii art of flying pig. I'm too lazy to do it*

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Holy ****, I just saw one heading toward heathrow.... the 18:40 Glasgow to heathrow if I'm not mistaken.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

wots the crack with you have 5 chances to log in or your ip will be banned for 15 minutes

It's a new feature of vBulletin 3.
    , this isnt a bank, so whats with all the silly security,

Actually, it is a bank. Feel free to PM DeVore regarding our competitive savings and loan options.

Did you get locked out of your regular account and register a new one to post this?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lump wrote:
    What's the deal with having to try and log in 5 times.....

John
    I concur.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK....once we can forgive, twice even if you were out drinking last night and your hands are shaking, three times is an extreme rarity, any more than that and you've forgotten your password. Give it up.

And 15 minutes? Go get a cup of coffee ffs. It's not like you have to fill out a form in triplicate and wait 6-8 weeks to be issued a new password..

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 helpdogscat

ecksor wrote:
    Did you get locked out of your regular account and register a new one to post this?

no, just registered in the wee small hours with a few sails to the wind and next day vainly attempts to remember password and hits the big 5 ahh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

save your password in a word document if you are the only one that uses the computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

i think its a needless feature that should be turned off

Is that so?

Look what I got when I checked my mail today from yesterday evening

wolfman,

Your account on boards.ie/vbulletin has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: ***.***.***.***

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/login.php?do=lostpw

All the best,
    boards.ie/vbulletin team

It just happens that when I do a whois look up, the IP address does not belong to any ISP I use, so it was obviously an attempt by somebody to get into my account here on Boards.

I have contacted the company in question with all relevant details and they will look after it from here, but I for one, would NOT like to see this feature done away with

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Here's your flying pig DeVore:

..._____ ____
    .....`----,\....)
    ....`--==\\.../
    ..... `--==\\/
    ......-~~~~-.Y|\\_
    ......@_/........./...66\_
    ......... |....\....\...._(")
    ...........\.../-|.||'--'