Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO Advice for noobs top ten.

Options
  • 04-12-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Actually its top five

http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/2010/09/5-ridiculous-seo-myths-spread-in-2010-by-web-designers-bloggers-and-journalists.html

gist of it top ten is
    1. Meta keywords matter for SEO via Mens News Daily

They don’t. SEO practicioners have been saying this for years and Google itself as well as as other search engines have confirmed: Meta keywords are dead as a SEO tactic. Even the meta description does not actually help you to rank better it can only make people click your your result.

2. You need to “submit your site to social bookmarking sites“ (like Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon) via 1stWebdesigner and Helium

First off you don’t submit to social bookmarking sites. Social bookmarking is guess what, about bookmarking! So you actually bookmark a site or rather a page as is more often the case. I use Delicious every day for that purpose like most other people. You can encourage people to bookmark you by different means but submitting your site like it’s a directory or something is SPAM.

Then Digg, Reddit and StumbleUpon are not bookmarking at all. The 1stWebdesigner author doesn’t even mention Delicious. Digg and Reddit are social news and StumbleUpon is social browsing/social discovery. On all of these sites ”submission of sites” for SEO reasons is frowned upon and that’s certainly not the way SEO works there. SEO on Digg means a clever linkbait headline or striking infographic. Digg ignores such submissions but on Reddit and StumbleUpon you get downright banned for “submitting s” as if it was a directory.

3. SEO is only about “top positions” via Webdesignerdepot
    4. “SEO is evil” via Business Insider
    5. Local SEO is not SEO via Worcester Business Journal

more at the link im not going to c and p the whole lot here.

Anyway this is for people like me starting with an interest in seo,
    I think I knew most of it, but its just to reinforce it in my own mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

The meta description tag is actually quite important because it's the text that can appear in the Google results page. If the copy is well crafted, it can attract people into your site.

Advertisement