Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neuroscience in ucd???????

Options
  • 04-12-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hello, so I'm filling out my cao form soon and I'm just wondering if anybody knows anything about neuroscience in ucd??? Like what it's like, what it covers, if it's interesting?? Has anybody gone on to do medicine from it??

I ask because I'll probably have that or biomedical science down as my third or fourth choice on the form, but I cant decide which I prefer. :(

Thanks for your help :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

If you are going to do neuroscience do it because you want to/have an interest...not because you think it will get you into medicine.

For some reason people seem to think it's a backdoor to medicine. It's not! It isn't going to qualify you for graduate medicine any better than any other science course. I know people who have gone from Engineering into GEM. It's harder, sure, but all you need is a 2:1 Bachelor's degree and a good GAMSAT score.

So to reiterate, do Neuroscience if you are interested. Don't otherwise. Also, certainly do not accept a place on a science course with the attitude "this isn't what I wanted...I should be in medicine". I've seen a lot of people do that. It doesn't serve them well and lecturers don't appreciate it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

If you are going to do neuroscience do it because you want to/have an interest...not because you think it will get you into medicine.

For some reason people seem to think it's a backdoor to medicine. It's not! It isn't going to qualify you for graduate medicine any better than any other science course. I know people who have gone from Engineering into GEM. It's harder, sure, but all you need is a 2:1 Bachelor's degree and a good GAMSAT score.

So to reiterate, do Neuroscience if you are interested. Don't otherwise. Also, certainly do not accept a place on a science course with the attitude "this isn't what I wanted...I should be in medicine". I've seen a lot of people do that. It doesn't serve them well and lecturers don't appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Ya thanks but thats why Im asking what it's like? to see if it would suit my preferences and if it's a course I would be generally interested in, to elaborate I never identified it as a back door to medicine, and also I'd be quite happy to do undenominated science, because I want to do medicine doesn't mean I wouldn't be overjoyed with any offer I receive? :rolleyes:

Mmmmkay you seem to be getting a little testy with me stating the facts but perhaps I took up the tone of your original post wrong. So I'll try to be more helpful:

This says everything you need to know about Neuro specifically:

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

All undergrad science degrees are run the same way in UCD....first yr basically undenominated so Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology. If you get the points for Neuro in LC you won't be in competition with the rest of the yr for getting into your desired degree program in second yr.

2nd and 3rd yr is Biochem, Pharmacology, Genetics, Physiology and other random stuff like Membrane Biology and Neuronal development that will be specific to Neuro. 4th yr you'll do a 12 week dissertation---either lab based, literature review or something clinical based---as well as a shedload of taught modules. You get an opportunity to do Erasmus (study abroad) in 3rd yr as with all UCD degrees.

As for people going on to do Medicine - about 6 in this year's class (first graduates from the course) had planned to. Haven't heard much about them since. I think a lot of them are taking the yr off to study for the GAMSAT.

If you have further specific questions about Neuro email John O'Connor, the course co-ordinator:

john.oconnor@ucd.ie

He's a nice guy but call him Dr O'Connor...it's only good manners when dealing with someone academically more senior, something you'll learn all about in college.

Neuro is specific...be prepared for that. If you want to learn all about different body system do something like Physiology!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Neuro is specific...be prepared for that. If you want to learn all about different body system do something like Physiology!

Exactly this. You could consider Anatomy in NUI Galway as well, which is through Undenominated Science.

Also RE: Biomedical Science. I don't know too much about it. The University calls it an "interdisciplinary degree" which isn't necessarily a good thing...you could end up learning less than if you did a good solid, well established degree. Again the guy who runs that (Bill Watson) is a pretty sound guy according to reports.
    He can answer any questions you have.

To sum up, my advice would be to really think about what you want to do in 4 or 5 years time and try to do something that will keep your options open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Also RE: Biomedical Science. I don't know too much about it. The University calls it an "interdisciplinary degree" which isn't necessarily a good thing...you could end up learning less than if you did a good solid, well established degree. Again the guy who runs that (Bill Watson) is a pretty sound guy according to reports.
    He can answer any questions you have.

To sum up, my advice would be to really think about what you want to do in 4 or 5 years time and try to do something that will keep your options open.

Thanks a million for all the help that's really insightful :) Sorry if I seemed kinda pissed in my earlier post, but I just thought you took my post the wrong way! I think I will be opting for something like undenminated science just for a broader look at things cus I'm fairly certain I won't get medicine first time round and I'd rather do a course I'd still enjoy than repeat. But thank you, I'll definitely still be looking at neuroscience because from what I've seen it's interesting but then again I've seen f*** all to know properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Just make sure you put Medicine as your first choice if that's really what you want to do!

Advertisement