Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Qatar - In winter?

• 04-12-2010 7:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

http://english.aljazeera.net/sport/2010/2010/12/201012414282409180.html
    Franz Beckenbauer, member of Fifa executive committee has said Qatar could be allowed to host 2022 World Cup in winter.

A German football great and Fifa executive committee member has said the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be played in January and February, when the temperatures in the Gulf state are more moderate.

Franz Beckenbauer said it would be possible to make a one-time change to European league fixtures to allow for the World Cup to be played in winter.

The World Cup is traditionally held during the northern hemisphere's summer months after the end of the domestic league competitions.

Qatar, which beat bid rivals Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States, said it would deploy climate-control technology to keep the temperature on the pitch to 27 degrees Celsius while outside it could get to a scorching 50 degrees.

Qatar, having never qualified for the World Cup finals, was picked by world soccer's governing body on Thursday to stage the 2022 tournament, a first both for the Middle East and for an Arab country.

It will also be the smallest nation ever to host the World Cup.

Cost-saving proposal

Beckenbauer told Saturday's Bild newspaper this would be a cheaper solution then air conditioning all stadiums during summer heat that exceeds 40 Celsius.

"One should think about another solution. In January and February you have comfortable 25 degrees there," he said. "Qatar won the vote and deserves a fair chance as the first host from the Middle East."

Beckenbauer also said it was a mistake to choose World Cup hosts for 2018 and 2022 at the same time.

Beckenbauer said he was surprised by the early eliminations of Australia as a candidate for the 2022 World Cup and England for the 2018 tournament.

England got the best marks in Fifa's own evaluation report ahead of the vote, but still lost in the first round of voting.

Beckenbauer, who won the 1974 World Cup as West Germany captain and also coached his nation to the 1990 title, declined to reveal how he voted.

He has said previously that he intends to step down from Fifa's executive committee in March for family reasons.

This would be awful! A World Cup has to be in Summer, end of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

There is zero chance of this happening. Champions League is too big a money spinner for Uefa and the Big Clubs in Europe for them to allow Blatter to mess with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Be bad enough watching them complaing of the heat over there whilst watching it during a crappy Irish summer but to watch it during a -6 winter would just be criminal!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And so the Qatar World Cup starts to unravel, just 2 days after it was awarded.

Thanks Sepp

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shows what a ridiculous decision this was in the first place when a member of the executive committee is coming out with this. Not going to happen obviously, but it is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How the fcuk do they plan on keeping an entire stadium 23 degrees colder than outside air temperature?

What an absolutely idiotic idea to have a WC in this kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cost-saving proposal

Beckenbauer told Saturday's Bild newspaper this would be a cheaper solution then air conditioning all stadiums during summer heat that exceeds 40 Celsius.

If they were interested in keeping costs low Fifa wouldnt have awarded the tournament to a country which needs to build almost all the stadia from scratch.
    Any country that wont regularly use the stadia after a World Cup shouldn't be entitled to host it in my opinion,its a disgraceful waste of money .

They are also the highest CO2 and water users in the world per capita - and 5 of the stadia are in the same city - can you imagine the wars that could happen there - it is pretty difficult to get a drink there

At least SA can play rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Hopefully Team America will "liberate" Qatar over the next few years and USA or Australia get the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If they were interested in keeping costs low Fifa wouldnt have awarded the tournament to a country which needs to build almost all the stadia from scratch.
    Any country that wont regularly use the stadia after a World Cup shouldn't be entitled to host it in my opinion,its a disgraceful waste of money .

The majority of the stadiums which will be dismantled and sent to developing countries who can not afford this type of infrastructure. This was one of the key factors in FIFA awarding the WC to Qatar.

The WC needs to be held in the summer. if the cooling project fails FIFA have England and USA as emergency backups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

tbh, the quality would be a lot higher if it was in Winter because the players wouldn't be coming off a full season and would probably have more energy and fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

How the fcuk do they plan on keeping an entire stadium 23 degrees colder than outside air temperature?

What an absolutely idiotic idea to have a WC in this kip
    Your an expert on Qatar yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The paranoid side of me tell's me that FIFA know all to well they are'nt going to host the World Cup in Qatar and they will announce the tournament is to be played in the USA (the big future money market) in and around the year 2019 because Qatar can't guarentee the players safety because of the heat on matchday. It would have looked bad if they picked the USA outright so soon after 1994 World Cup. England have blown any chance they may have had of hosting 2022 as a back up nation because of the bitterness towards the 2018 decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Mister men wrote: »
    The paranoid side of me tell's me that FIFA know all to well they are'nt going to host the World Cup in Qatar and they will announce the tournament is to be played in the USA (the big future money market) in and around the year 2019 because Qatar can't guarentee the players safety because of the heat on matchday. It would have looked bad if they picked the USA outright so soon after 1994 World Cup. England have blown any chance they may have had of hosting 2022 as a back up nation because of the bitterness towards the 2018 decision.

FIFA will be very very reluctant to switch hosts now they've decided on one. It would generate awful publicity for them and switch media attention away from the hosts to the incompetence of their executive council, which is exactly what they don't want given the shadows hanging over them. The only way I could see FIFA switch hosts at this stage is if there were civil war or a natural disaster.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't be bothered about a tournament in Winter. It would mean the players would be going into it at their peak fitness rather than at the end of a season when fatigue is setting in. And it means they are then guaranteed a proper Summer break which is a good thing. I actually think it would make for a better tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

A lot of National Associations and Continental Confederations will be very pissed off at having to reorganize their Leagues and Cups.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't be bothered about a tournament in Winter. It would mean the players would be going into it at their peak fitness rather than at the end of a season when fatigue is setting in. And it means they are then guaranteed a proper Summer break which is a good thing. I actually think it would make for a better tournament.
    Not really, they would have to fulfill the fixtures in their domestic leagues.

A lot of National Associations and Continental Confederations will be very pissed off at having to reorganize their Leagues and Cups.

Of course, but at the same time every player would have to face the extra long calender and the pre-season preparations would be adjusted accordingly.

What you usually have is every player arriving back to training on the 1st of July, bar those who play in the world cup, who might be given a week or two extra. The result is that because the internationals come back in a staggered fashion, the clubs schedule doesn't suit every player and additional strains can arise because it may be asking too much too soon of some players. Think Van Persie and Cesc for Arsenal this season, who both went to the world cup playing through injury and both have had a turbulent start to the season as a result.

At least this way you'd have every player on the same calender, so clubs would be forced to adjust their preseason schedules so that players get sufficient rest.

What would be at risk would be those god awful money making tours to the U.S and Asia, so the big clubs might lose out on a couple of quid, but the rest shouldn't be too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

FIFA will be very very reluctant to switch hosts now they've decided on one. It would generate awful publicity for them and switch media attention away from the hosts to the incompetence of their executive council, which is exactly what they don't want given the shadows hanging over them. The only way I could see FIFA switch hosts at this stage is if there were civil war or a natural disaster.

Have done it in the past with Colombia in 1986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

FIFA won't have to worry about building the stadiums. Furthermore, Qatar is not short of a buck or two - the highest GDP per capita in the world. The scaremongering about a World Cup taking place in 12 years is just silly, something similar to the lead up to this year's World Cup. Yes, Qatar have no World Cup pedigree, but the US had only qualified for one WC in the the 50 years before 1994. Little acorns and all that.

Ireland was in the top 10 GDP per capita in the world last year, we probably should bid for 2026, I have always said a Champions League final in Thurles would be amazing, maybe we should just aim higher.

And it would be great to see these riot police bateing the heads off a few Serbians in the square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ireland was in the top 10 GDP per capita in the world last year, we probably should bid for 2026

You should probably ask Brussels first. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That would upset the leagues big time changing it to winter. Would have the season starting in october or something like.

Some talks (conspiracy talk) that Brazil wont be ready so America/england could host the 2014 wc.

As said, conspiracy talks so i dont know.

titan18 wrote: »
    Have done it in the past with Colombia in 1986

Largely because of political instability and corruption, Columbia simply couldn't afford to build the infrastracture they promised FIFA.

It also helped that the organiser of Mexico's World Cup bid for '86 was a vice president of FIFA who also happened to own the television company who sold the rights for the tournament. Also this seemingly kick started the whole 'official partnership' model the World Cup uses today to maxmimise their profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

holding the wc in quatar is a joke, what else can be said....

AC'in the stadia wont work as you cant combat natural Perspiration and humidity, the players will be bolloxed.

Quatar, has anyone even any idea what teams play there or what their league is called.

if anything if confirms FIFA as being utter nobs on a global stage...

nice one Herr Blatter, what a disgrace you are to the game

at least there will be grand stadia in quatar for stoning of women afterwards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's a stupid, arse about face idea from Beckenbauer who has a position of authority in FIFA. If the country can't host the tournament at that time of year then the tournament shouldn't have been awarded to them. Simple.

Even if they do manage to make these air con stadiums work (which they probably will) it's going to be a horrific waste of money and CO2.

Slow clap for Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ireland was in the top 10 GDP per capita in the world last year, we probably should bid for 2026, I have always said a Champions League final in Thurles would be amazing, maybe we should just aim higher.

And it would be great to see these riot police bateing the heads off a few Serbians in the square

Not all Serbs are bad and trust me don't call them Serbian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

FIFA and Qatar have talked about an energy efficient World Cup, well they are deluded. Air conditioning costs a lot and uses a lot of energy, it takes a lot of energy to cool a small room 5 degrees never mind an open air stadium that you have to cool 25+ degrees.

Never mind the construction of these stadiums, the dismantling of these stadiums and then the transport of these stadiums to poor countries and then you have to construct them again. No energy wasted there I see!

Waste of money/energy and not energy efficient at all.

Also if they do actually cool the stadiums, I have my doubts, who's going to block out the sun?

mr_burns-of-japan.gif?w=319&h=400

I may be not roasting but sitting in the sun is no fun and is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As already said Qatar know all the stadiums won't be used after the WC so the upper tiers are designed to be removed to be transported to developing nations.
    They are also the highest CO2 and water users in the world per capita - and 5 of the stadia are in the same city - can you imagine the wars that could happen there - it is pretty difficult to get a drink there

At least SA can play rugby

"At least SA can play rugby" :confused: What?
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    That would upset the leagues big time changing it to winter. Would have the season starting in october or something like.

Some talks (conspiracy talk) that Brazil wont be ready so America/england could host the 2014 wc.

As said, conspiracy talks so i dont know.

Yes the news is that Brazil will not be ready, it is still 3 and a half years away and the talk is they have not started to build some airports that are needed for the World Cup, i don't even know what the story is with the stadiums, hopefully they can get it sorted in time because i'd love to see a WC in Brazil a lot more than to see it moved to USA or England.
    holding the wc in quatar is a joke, what else can be said....

AC'in the stadia wont work as you cant combat natural Perspiration and humidity, the players will be bolloxed.

Quatar, has anyone even any idea what teams play there or what their league is called.

if anything if confirms FIFA as being utter nobs on a global stage...

nice one Herr Blatter, what a disgrace you are to the game

at least there will be grand stadia in quatar for stoning of women afterwards.....

Again it is Qatar, not Quatar. As was already said in the thread so many times it is not about football in Qatar, it is about football in the middle east and exploiting a huge market that is there.

I agree that Fifa are nobs and that Blatter and all of the Fifa committee is a disgrace but i would still rather see a WC hosted in Russia over England and in Qatar over the USA, it is the World Cup at the end of the day and i would rather see the game developed in those countries than a country like England that already has everything it needs in the football world, is there any way a World Cup in England would benefit them football wise? People don't seem to realise how big this is for Russia. The only country i feel sorry for in the whole thing is Australia as they had a decent bid and it has not been hosted on that continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MOG7 wrote: »
    As already said Qatar know all the stadiums won't be used after the WC so the upper tiers are designed to be removed to be transported to developing nations.

"At least SA can play rugby" :confused: What?

Yes the news is that Brazil will not be ready, it is still 3 and a half years away and the talk is they have not started to build some airports that are needed for the World Cup, i don't even know what the story is with the stadiums, hopefully they can get it sorted in time because i'd love to see a WC in Brazil a lot more than to see it moved to USA or England.

Again it is Qatar, not Quatar. As was already said in the thread so many times it is not about football in Qatar, it is about football in the middle east and exploiting a huge market that is there.

I agree that Fifa are nobs and that Blatter and all of the Fifa committee is a disgrace but i would still rather see a WC hosted in Russia over England and in Qatar over the USA, it is the World Cup at the end of the day and i would rather see the game developed in those countries than a country like England that already has everything it needs in the football world, is there any way a World Cup in England would benefit them football wise? People don't seem to realise how big this is for Russia. The only country i feel sorry for in the whole thing is Australia as they had a decent bid and it has not been hosted on that continent.

sorry, there is a grammar forum that a way..>>>

most peeps here are not too inclinde to bitch about typos unless u use txt spk so 2 spk

Not all Serbs are bad and trust me don't call them Serbian
    I know they are not all bad but their football fans have a thoroughly deserved terrible reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

sorry, there is a grammar forum that a way..>>>

most peeps here are not too inclinde to bitch about typos unless u use txt spk so 2 spk

What, because you cant spell a simple 5 lettered word? He was right to correct you so why don't you leave out the petty comments and concentrate on your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Re-organising the winter leagues wouldn't be too hard.

All the major summer leagues (Russia, MLS, Japan, South Korea, the South American ones, the Scandinavian ones) have to insert a summer break for the Euros or the WC when it's played in the summer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility to have one in the major European leagues.

As it is, Germany and Holland have a winter break, afaik, and it wouldn't do any harm for England and Scotland to have one either, given the number of postponements this year. There's been heavy snowfall in Spain this week too.

Its just a matter of who has bigger balls: FIFA or the top Euro leagues. Considering how Blatter fauns over the Premiership, I have a feeling he won't allow it but it shouldn't e completely dismissed. It's a workable suggestion.

Or the likes of the French, Spanish, English and Italian leagues should listen to Blatter's suggestion that the top division have no more than 18 teams in it. This would lower the number of games from 38 to 34 and it'd be a lot easier to move the calendar around.

EDIT: The 2002 WC went ahead in the middle of both the Korean and Japanese leagues and, iirc, it was very close to the monsoon season. I think there's an argument to move the WC if the weather dictates it.

I think Japan and Korea was about 10 days earlier than usual iirc - final was 1/2 July instead of 12/13 usually for this reason, I might be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The final was on the 30th June. The tournament started on the 31st May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i dont see what the harm is really? they wont have to reorganise their leagues, just that year organise them differently.

I think alot of people hear are forgetting most countries have a winter break already! so its not really much of a problem. Great idea i think!
    Fromvert wrote: »
    FIFA and Qatar have talked about an energy efficient World Cup, well they are deluded. Air conditioning costs a lot and uses a lot of energy, it takes a lot of energy to cool a small room 5 degrees never mind an open air stadium that you have to cool 25+ degrees.

Never mind the construction of these stadiums, the dismantling of these stadiums and then the transport of these stadiums to poor countries and then you have to construct them again. No energy wasted there I see!

Waste of money/energy and not energy efficient at all.

Also if they do actually cool the stadiums, I have my doubts, who's going to block out the sun?
    You and alot of other posters havent been listening to the media recently so, an irish company is doing the air con and are using solar panels and are carbon neutral so no massive waste of energy :confused:
    winter 2022 watching the world cup in 20degree heat in some of the best stadiums ever built with stadiums all in close reach. I can't wait for this :D

Advertisement