Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting incoming line for Phonewatch & BB

• 04-12-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I've tried to find the answer to the following, but no joy. Hopefully, someone may be able to help.

I currently get BB from O2 (wireless dongle), but they are giving a really bad service lately, so looking at costs, NGB from Eircom with my phoneline looks like the best option. (for me anyway)

The problem is my Phonewatch. When it was installed, they didn't "split" the incoming line, and now Eircom want to rip me off for 100yoyos to split the line so the monitoring is not affected by the BB always on.

I'm fairly handly with a pliers and gaffer tape, and was wondering if this is something I can tackle myself, or is this split something that has to be done at an exchange / hole in the ground?

If anyone can suggest where I could get the famous splitter from (details of what I'm looking for etc), and any guidance as to the level of work involved I would be most grateful.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

i have the EPW installed and it's a little box they install beside/below the panel. I only paid 50 at the time of installation so i guess they are charging you extra cos it's a retro fit. As far as i'm aware only EPW can install these. Besides if you go tampering with their system it will more than likely render the equipment null and void...... be careful not to give them any excuses. check out the home & security section on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Thanks Doneglnordie

I did a bit more digging (in spite of the poor O2 service) last night, and managed to find details about the splitter I need. From what I can tell, it is used in-line to divide the signal and allow EPW to capture the line in case of emergency.

I got a name of a supplier in Dublin so I'll ring them Monday. I won't be changing the alarm system, rather the telephone line - a slim difference, but once I have it split, there should not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's just a regular DSL filter you need. Phonewatch connects to "Phone" port, never "modem" port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Psstttt F'ing €50 for a line splitter, you're having a larf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Are we talking about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/6P4C-RJ11-2-Way-Modular-Phone-Telephone-Wall-Splitter-/200540425984?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2eb1240f00

Broadband operates on a different band than the normal phone, henceforth the name. You can make phonecalls and be online at the same time using the same jack.

FYI - When you sign up for BB with any company they send you one of these here splitters for free (sometimes two or three of them sure).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CptSternn wrote: »
    Are we talking about one of these?.

No, that's just a line splitter. You need a DSL filter/splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Thanks guys - was on to a supplier in Dublin who's selling the DSL filter for 28 + vat + delivery. (no the Ebay type)

The guy did ask who was fitting it but said he didn't have a problem selling me one when I said I would be.

Advertisement