Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding the uni, social life and the pol+eco program

Options
  • 04-12-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

How is the university in general? Is it close to the city center? I heard that economics is suppose to be pretty good. How is the politics modules?
    Is it easy to get to know people? Is it a lot of student pubs? Does it exist many student societies?

A lot of questions. I just wanted to know a bit about the program, the uni and how it is standing in comparasion to TCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Well it's definitely better than Trinity anyway :)

Societies for everything you can think of. There are 3 student pubs on campus, all good fun generally. Economics is fun until quantitative stuff is brought in. Politics is interesting but the theory side can be a bit boring/wishy washy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Societies for everything you can think of. There are 3 student pubs on campus, all good fun generally. Economics is fun until quantitative stuff is brought in. Politics is interesting but the theory side can be a bit boring/wishy washy

3?

Also, forum bar is gone in the new year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

3????? Is there a secret one I don't know of :eek:

Forum Bar is closing in January by the way.....much preferred it to the Student Bar myself :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sports bar has been closed for years. And as is mentioned above, two is about to become one.

Sports bar was definitely open when I was in 1st year but I haven't been up that way since. Forum bar was grand in that it didn't have sh*t* music being blared out at all hours of the day but I've never had a class party there and based upon this, I'm assuming that it doesn't take drink tokens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

It does. Or did last year.

Why is it closing anyway? I'll have nowhere to play pool between (and during) lectures now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sports bar closed around 2004/2005 I think. The Student Centre bar is closing to facilitiate the construction of the student centre

Technically the common room in the arts building does serve pints but I wouldnt' call it a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It does. Or did last year.

Why is it closing anyway? I'll have nowhere to play pool between (and during) lectures now. :(

The trap under the arts block has plenty of pool tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 baldiessa

Haha, I've got the impression it's kind of a rivality between Trinity and UCD.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

I've some other questions: is it close to the city center? Is it easy to get to know people? Does it exist a college or simular student resident for students at UCD? I've heard Trinity hall is pretty good and wonder if it exist a counterpart at UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Apparently Elements got a license to let people drink in the place, but I don't think they'll be serving pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Technically the common room in the arts building does serve pints but I wouldnt' call it a pub

Is that the trap you are talking about?

The forum bar is re-opening next year, I hear when the new student centre is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

WeeBushy wrote: »

I still much prefer the atmosphere in the forum bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

unknown13 wrote: »
    Is that the trap you are talking about?

The forum bar is re-opening next year, I hear when the new student centre is finished.

No its on the first floor. Its at the front of the building where the tunnel to the admin building is. Its staff only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

baldiessa wrote: »
    Haha, I've got the impression it's kind of a rivality between Trinity and UCD.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

I've some other questions: is it close to the city center? Is it easy to get to know people? Does it exist a college or simular student resident for students at UCD? I've heard Trinity hall is pretty good and wonder if it exist a counterpart at UCD?

There are several student accomodation blocks, one has a meals plan.

It is easy to get to know people depending on the course. Some large courses like arts have been known to be difficult, but business courses like Commerce are broken into small calsses.

It is quite close to the city centre. About 15/20 minutes on a bus.

Residences in UCD are on par (Some parts better) with Trinity Hall, but they are actually on campus, Trinity Hall is not close to Trinity at all.
    Ruski wrote: »
    Apparently Elements got a license to let people drink in the place, but I don't think they'll be serving pints.

Apparently Elements has always had the license, just no one ever used it much.

They sold wine and beer last year with food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Sports bar closed around 2004/2005 I think. The Student Centre bar is closing to facilitiate the construction of the student centre

No its on the first floor. Its at the front of the building where the tunnel to the admin building is. Its staff only

You had me all excited for a minute there :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ruski wrote: »

Elements have had Champions League nights where they sell beer and you can watch the matches. As was said above, they always have had the licence. I have seen people drinking in there on other occasions too.

Since I think beer tastes like píss, I've never bothered to find out what type! :D

Once your not in Belgrove. The accomidation would be near par to Trinity hall. Trinity hall is nice but it is miles from campus. Trinity hall is in Rathgar and it is about 15 mins walk to the nearest LUAS stop. UCD is lucky that it has the 145 and 46a buses stopping outside its front door, which come very regularly. It will actually be quicker to get into town from a UCD residence than Trinity Hall.

Elements have had Champions League nights where they sell beer and you can watch the matches. As was said above, they always have had the licence. I have seen people drinking in there on other occasions too.

Since I think beer tastes like píss, I've never bothered to find out what type! :D

Miller normally and they had Heineken the last time they were selling beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

WeeBushy wrote: »

Plenty of sh*te pool tables with a horrific slant and which like to steal your money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Plenty of sh*te pool tables with a horrific slant and which like to steal your money?

That's your excuse at being crap at pool, eh? ;)

Ah no you're right, there are a few dodgy tables there. And I haven't been down there in a while, so I'm sure they're even worse now. Actually thinking about it, I don't think I've been there in over a year... I wish I was back in undergrad. Masters suck :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm not at UCD but we have a UCD lecturer for Political Theory at NUIM and it's incredibly dull and feels totally irrelevant to modern politics.

I realise this is kind of pointless info...maybe check out the other modules to see that they're not all theory based though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ya, loike I mean Trinity is so bad that it's sometimes called Pearse Street IT. Gawd.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'm not at UCD but we have a UCD lecturer for Political Theory at NUIM and it's incredibly dull and feels totally irrelevant to modern politics.

I realise this is kind of pointless info...maybe check out the other modules to see that they're not all theory based though.

What's the lecturers name? I did Pol Theory in UCD and it was painfully boring

Ya, loike I mean Trinity is so bad that it's sometimes called Pearse Street IT. Gawd.

Trinners is for sinners lololololz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 baldiessa

How do I apply to pol+eco, I mean it seems like you're suppose to apply to this joint art degree but how do I point out that I specificly want to do pol+eco when it is only room for 5 letters in applying box? Or do I have to wait (if I'll get accepted) to pick out which degree I want to do?

What's the lecturers name? I did Pol Theory in UCD and it was painfully boring

Which one there is three. A women, older man and younger man.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Which one there is three. A women, older man and younger man.

There is the grey haired woman Iseult, then Finaly and I can't remember the third one. I may be possibly confusing the lecturers with my comparative class, I know Hardiman definitely had something to do with comparative also. Either way, painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

There is the grey haired woman Iseult, then Finaly and I can't remember the third one. I may be possibly confusing the lecturers with my comparative class, I know Hardiman definitely had something to do with comparative also. Either way, painful!

I hated that course. I have Iseult this year for a similar course about different thinkers and I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The one I have in NUIM is Brid O'Rourke.

Advertisement