Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner Staters??

Options
  • 04-12-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Ok,
    For the first time I am doing christmas dinner for my family, 7 adults and 4 kids. Mains will be turkey and ham so thats sorted.
    I need some inspiration for starters. I'm allergic to shellfish, so the traditional prawn cocktail is out. I'll we being having smoked salmon and brown bread as a kinda canapé so dont want salmon either.
    Any ideas boardies??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Dow99 wrote: »
    Ok,
    For the first time I am doing christmas dinner for my family, 7 adults and 4 kids. Mains will be turkey and ham so thats sorted.
    I need some inspiration for starters. I'm allergic to shellfish, so the traditional prawn cocktail is out. I'll we being having smoked salmon and brown bread as a kinda canapé so dont want salmon either.
    Any ideas boardies??

7 adults is a toughie (kids will be fine).Melon and Parma ham (bit old school but simple enough for the numbers). I have loads of ideas which I think would be great for 4 or so but 7 is a different story. Check out www.bbcgoodfood.com for festive starters and it might give you some ideas. If I think of anything outside of the melon and ham I will update!!!

Soup is always a runner but not for all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

given the amount of food that is consumed at christmas day - melon might be old school but it is nice and refreshing, one of your 5 a day, easy to plate up, and can be done in advance leaving you time to either take care of mains or even better, spend time with your guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Not feeling it with the melon, prefect for the kids I agree. As I'm allergic to shellfish I've always been left with melon while the others munch on prawn cocktail.

I'm going to have my sister's help so it'll be broken up nicely between us so 7 really isnt that daunting, so kenco fire ahead with your suggestions as if it was a dinner for 4 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

What about a bacon (lardon) and avocado salad (tomato, rocket, pepper). Else a smoked chicken salad (can be served cold)

Easy to prepare and nice and light with the rich food that will follow.

Its also yum.

Dow99 wrote: »
    Not feeling it with the melon, prefect for the kids I agree. As I'm allergic to shellfish I've always been left with melon while the others munch on prawn cocktail.

I'm going to have my sister's help so it'll be broken up nicely between us so 7 really isnt that daunting, so kenco fire ahead with your suggestions as if it was a dinner for 4 people.

I did this last year and it was good and actually quite light;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4494/asparagus-mozzarella-and-prosciutto-parcels

Grilled goats cheese with pine nuts, rocket salad and coulis is also quite tasty and again not too heavy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How about deviled eggs?

http://www.deviledeggs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have tried all of the following over the years:

- Egg mayonaise, salad
    - Black pudding, salad
    - Garlic Mushroom, salad

All are really quick and easy to prepare on a day that you will be busy doing other things. My fav is the Clonakilty black pudding with a simple salad and brown soda on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Creamy Mushroom Vol Au Vents with a rocket salad, easy to make and deeelish and definitely old school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Turkey Giblet soup! You can make it on Christmas eve and just heat it up when it's time to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

A soup would be perfect. Could be made the day before and just needs to be warmed through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Last year for the same sort of numbers we did an anti-pasti type selection. It doesn't require much preperation and with the variety you can be sure there will be something for everyone.

Parma Ham
    Cheeses
    Bread
    Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad
    Prawns with chilli and garlic
    Bruschetta

trackguy wrote: »
    Last year for the same sort of numbers we did an anti-pasti type selection. It doesn't require much preperation and with the variety you can be sure there will be something for everyone.

Parma Ham
    Cheeses
    Bread
    Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad
    Prawns with chilli and garlic
    Bruschetta

Good option but would personally leave out the cheese as it might make the dish a little too heavy as a starter

murphym7 wrote: »
    I have tried all of the following over the years:

- Egg mayonaise, salad
    - Black pudding, salad
    - Garlic Mushroom, salad

All are really quick and easy to prepare on a day that you will be busy doing other things. My fav is the Clonakilty black pudding with a simple salad and brown soda on the side.

Likely to do black pud with scallops and fried apple this year but the op is not a shellfish fan. If going with just the back pudding I would serve with pan fried apple wedges and a rocket salad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Black pudding with topped with stewed apple wrapped in puff pastry

Thai fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce

Brie wrapped in parma ham and cooked in balsamic vinegar

Roasted red pepper and garlic soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I made chicken liver pate for our starter last year and will be doing the same this year as it was such a hit. Use any basic recipe for it (I'm sure there's loads on BBC website) and add a dash of brandy/ whiskey and some orange zest. Serve with a nice bit of bread and that's all you need.

My niece spilled her glass of wine into the pate last year and some of it soaked in... tasted better the next day so give that a go too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love To Cook

I'm planning on doing vol au vents filled with Camembert, sundried tomato and caramelised onion. Easy to make ahead and freeze

Advertisement