Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless option ?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys, at the minute my pc is hard wired for my broadband access, but i am thinking of going for a wireless access option, opinions please on if a wireless dongle or if a fitting a pci card for wireless access would be best.
    as always thanks in advance for any replies,

apophis :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Anyone with an opinion on this please, i would appreciate some help please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Apparently wireless is a big no-no for online gaming, just so you know.

I'm not 100% sure about the pros of an internal card over a USB dongle other than the fact that its internal. Then again, those TPLink dongles are actually quite fetching... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

homeplug is a popular way of going 'wireless' :D

something like this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've recently changed from cabled to wireless pci. I'm quite happy with the performance of the card insofar as I haven't noticed any difference over what I was used to.

I'm sure there are major pros and cons to both pci and usb. The obvious con for pci is that it isn't as flexible as usb. Once it's in the machine it's not quick to take out. This said, I wouldn't be surprised if the range on usb isn't as far as an optimality positioned wireless pci (that's speculation, btw).

After a quick look at responses to the pci v usb question on-lin, it seems that pci is generally receiving more favourable results. All this is depending on the products, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

thanks for the info guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

My pc is on the floor and i have a habit of kicking the usb wireless dongle :o I'd go for the pci version. You probably already know that your speed will be reduced and it does effect your on line gaming if you swich from your wire setup. Ideally i'd prefer to be wired up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A-Links high end Wireless PCI cards are actually very good. Had one in my PC for a while, hardly any ping difference and no cut outs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I opted for a TP-link wireless-n PCI card and it's great, despite the PC being cornered on three sides on the floor. Went for PCI over USB as I don't believe that a dongle could provide decent throughput at n-speeds, all things considered.

Advertisement