Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 10/11 anime

Options
  • 04-12-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Well, the Winter anime season is nearly upon us.

Chartfag has stopped making the charts, which means the new source for charts is an Irish guy (and frequenter of boards.ie, though not the animu section) called Scamp

Winter-v3.jpg

My list
    Kimi no todoke - no brainer
    Wolverine -I didn't watch Ironman, but wolverine looks worth watching.
    Infinite stratos - sounds so bad, but that's why I have to watch it!
    Gosick - detective novels can be fun, I'll see where it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Iron man was good and was true to the comics even the wolverine that showed up in it look right but this one looks off from the trailers so i don't think it'll be to good.

Kimi no todoke was good but other than that not really anything i will be waiting for each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Beezlebub : Just cos I hear the manga is good i'll give it a shot.
    Gosick : Bones are animating it :) + I liked psychic detective this season so hopefully its something similar.
    Wolverine : I'll give it a try, I didnt watch Ironman but people have said its good so hopefully this is too.
    Infinite stratos : Mecha + Ecchi lol >> No other reason needed...
    Level E and Starry Eye also seem promising

Never seen Kimi no todoke but im a fan of production I.G's newer series Eden of the East is Kimi no todoke any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I see... absolutely nothing for me.

Except Black Lagoon.

Oh well, I do have a massive back-catalog of stuff to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Except Black Lagoon.

Oh well, I do have a massive back-catalog of stuff to watch.

Don't we all? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one, although Fractale looks interesting, and I'll look at some of I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother until I become ashamed of myself. And I'm also watching the first season of Kimi ni Todoke, so if I get through that at least there'll be a second season. Other than that, it's a big pile of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Konata wrote: »
    Don't we all? :/

Not anymore :pac:

I've pretty much watched everything I wanted to watch, just waiting on new releases now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Well I for one am willing to give some of these shows a chance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

This all looks pretty terrible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Gonna be a slow winter... The only one I know I'll watch is Kimi ni Todoke, first season was pretty decent I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Well I cannot see anything that appeals to me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Funky wrote: »
    Gonna be a slow winter... The only one I know I'll watch is Kimi ni Todoke, first season was pretty decent I thought.

Yep, I enjoyed it. Very good show. Can only go downhill from here on though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I want a good romantic comedy....dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

necro now that the series have started.

I watched Infinite Stratos there, it looked alright, your classic harem mecha (Not sure if harem mecha is done a lot, but harems definitely are, and mechas definitely are too), seemed interesting.

Gosick seems like a very good series, it's a detective series based in 1924 italy (well, they took out a chunk of italy and made up their own country, but whatever). Definitely gonna keep watching it.

I haven't seen anything else, any recommendations?

Starry Sky, saw a bit of it there on New Years. It's terrible

Just watched the first episode of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, looks like it could be pretty decent. Awesome animation by SHAFT as usual !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Saw freezing today, just more ****e.

All i'll be watching is wolverine, Kimi ni Todoke, beelzebub, hack// and black lagoon.

Well guys I’ve been watching alot of anime as the new season is upon us and here are my Impressions

Winter 2011 Anime Impressions

Beelzebub :
    Beelzebub is without a dought one of the strangest animes I’ve ever
    seen. It stars a bad-ass main character who can pwn almost everyone at his local
    highschool however before you can say “oh god another highschool anime” you are
    introduced to what can only be descibed as a baby pickachu (I know .. wtf!!) and it
    just gets crazier from there. The animation is very good and on a much higher level
    than either of studio perriots other animes hopefully it can continue that level of quality.
    Through in talk of demons, destruction of the human race, crazy unexplained
    powers, hot evil nannies, people that split in half and lots
    of awardness while the main character adjusts to the baby and you’ve got yourself
    an interesting anime. 8/10

Cardfight Vanguard :
    Cardfight Vanguard is your run of the mill card game anime
    the story is very generic > weak young boy turns out to be great at the card game.
    Omg I never saw it coming lol. The animation is horrendously bad in parts with
    some sort of odd outline on every character which is very distracting. The only
    real saving grace is that the card game is somewhat interesting but weather it will
    keep people interested past episode two I highly doubt. 3/10

Dragon Crisis :
    Dragon Crisis is a bit of a mixture of various types of anime, theres
    some harem, light ecchi and slice of life segments in episode 1. The story revolves
    around precious arifacts that contain magical power which does seem interesting
    but episode 1 focuses more on the dragon girl (seriously squid girl says hi). The animation
    Is very good and I’m glad that studio deen seems to be improving with every anime they release.
    I assume the anime will go either comedy/slice of life with the girl or turn into
    some sort of adventure anime to find the arifacts either way Im going to definately watch
    this one. 6/10

Freezing :
    Freezing is a ecchi battle anime from the looks of episode 1, not much
    else really to say about it.
    The animation is good though being on ATX’s SD channel
    the picture quality is quite bad on the captures + its framed mostly in 4:3 except for
    the OP and ED. The anime seems fairly unambitious but there is actually a complicated
    story behind the ecchi and panty shots weather the animators will let it shine through
    is yet to be seen 4/10

Gosick : Gosick is a detective anime though this time the detective is a cute loli with
    special deductive detective powers (you just cant say no to them vader lolis ^.^). Its
    animated by Bones so you know the animation is of the highest quality and will most
    likely stay that way which is awesome. Just give me moar >.< 8/10

Infinite Stratos :
    Infinite Stratos is bar none the most cliched title this season Its a harem
    anime and tbh if you’ve ever seen a harem anime before you know exactly what to expect.
    The childhood friend, the angry upperclass woman and basically every other girl in the
    school as the main character is the only guy who can pilot the mechs in the show >.<.
    On the positive side the animation is top-class making it very easy to watch and allowing
    you to forget the immensely cliched plotline. I love my Mech animes but ruining it
    with a overly cliched harem backdrop is agrivating though I will probably still watch
    for awile due to the nice animation 5/10

Level E :
    Level E is an anime that I just dont know what to think about it, the story
    looks like its going to be deep and involving and the animation is nice but the characters
    are just so boring (based on episode 1) and the story is slow paced that getting an
    image from episode 1 is kinda difficult but it looks like a promising show. 6/10

Oniichan no Koto :
    Oniichan no Koto is a incest anime very similar to kissxsis as the
    sister and brother and not blood related. The animation is good but a bit odd as the
    character designs are unusually drawn which I kinda like as it gives the anime an original
    touch. If your up for some Lol’s Id definately check it out though it is very similar to
    other incest animes so theres not going to be much different 6/10

Rio Rainbow Gate :
    I just dont even >.< 1/10 for the boobs and thats being genorous

Yumekui Merry :
    Yumekui Merry is kinda like japans take on inception lol, there are worlds in your dreams and beings that can travel between dreams / reality ( I assume thats what dreameaters are). The main character meets Merry after shes falls from a tree, she enters the kids dream which is filled with angry cat people and one badass cat which merry takes on very impressively I might add. The animation is very good every scene looks like it was painted and the artistic and character design are very original, also the story looks like it could be engaging this is one of my must watch animes 9/10

Kore wa Zombie desu ka :
    Last but not least Kore wa Zombie desu ka is the standout show
    of the season its funny , gorery and spectacular. The main character is a zombie so
    he’s basically invincible, the poor guy because of this is cursed by all kinds of injuries
    i.e broken arms, getting hit by cars and even getting sliced in half lolz, + its uncensored
    for 100% bloody goodnes (not for the weak). The animation is top notch aswell from
    episode 1 there is absolutely nothing that can mark this anime down 10/10 !!

Nice post, thanks dude. Hadn't heard about Yumeki Merry I'll check it out, had been planning on seeing if the Zombie one was any good.

Interesting on the last 2 as well, will check out :P

You should check out Madoka Magi to finish your collection :P

Im considering checking it out but im getting through my blurays I got for xmas too, eden of the east in 1080p is nice.

Wonder if Fractale and Wondering Son will be any good as they are the only ones who havent aired yet.

• Advertisement

They're both in the noitamina timeslot, which has a good track record, (eden of the east was aired there, in fact).

Fractale seems to have a really interesting plot; wondering son, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is amazing.

@ That Garda thing, wow, just wow. I feel obligated to watch whatever that's from now.

Edit: watching episode 1, within 10 seconds I notice that his juicebox has Bitter (Searbh) written on it. Wow, would've never have expected to have an anime based here and for it to use random Irish words.

Epic first post! Welcome to boards, even though I'm sure you've lurked for a while.

mike7184 wrote: »
    This all looks pretty terrible to me.

You watched any of it yet?

Anyone who hasn't watched Puella Magi Madoka I'd recommend checking it out. Three episodes so far and it's not looking like your standard magical girl anime. Good stuff.

A good time to take stock of some anime, sure.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    This is done by SHAFT (bakemonogatari, arakawa), which means every episode will feature a girl flicking her hair or somesuch in slow motion.
    Anyway yeah, the animation is class, they do the bad guys with cut outs (img) and it contrasts really well with the classic anime style. I also like how the lines in the girl's eyes are really obviously delineated, gives it a strong distinctive style.
    Plotwise, looking good. Basic premise is that you get a wish, and in exchange, have to kill bad guys, but is it all as it seems?
    I heartily approve of killing a main character 3 episodes in, even though you knew it was going to happen once she said "I can finally be happy" just before a fight.
    I wonder if madoke will use her wish to bring mami back to life?
    I think this is a must watch, but I'm a SHAFT fanboy just like funky9.

Gosick
    Gosick is a detective anime, and I really like it. The 1st 3 episodes all seem to be part of an arc, and I like the depth the story gets to. No action is insignificant, and I know that if I'd actually been paying attention, I might have solved when the protaganist does. The main character is very moe (img)
    I think it's someting worth watching if you like detective anime like Mushishi (GITS counts too, I suppose). I'll be watching this too.
    I really liked the 1st arc, how she deduced the woman was evil from the lighter bag and the small space pacing.
    I'm not really a fan of the guy, he pisses me off, it would be much cooler if she were on her own

Fractale
    It's about Ireland, thus a must watch.
    If it weren't about Ireland, I'd ignore it completely

IS: infinite stratos
    This is a harem mecha, really really bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Level E is allegedly good. I might give this a watch.

Also this Shaft! magical girl stuff. I hate magical girls, but Shaft! is hard to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Level E is quite funny, and the shaft magical girl show is fairly trippy.

Currently I'm watching Fractale, Shaft magical girl (that name...), and level E, I may pick up Wandering Son (though it's a bit angsty..., looks nice though). The rest seem to be regular mediocre anime, I could be wrong. Gosick might be okay.

I'd recommend giving Gosick a 3 episode look around at least, just so you can have an opinion on it.

The canal and stream I recognised from galway City, I'm not bothered getting a screencap, sorry. It's near the Roisin Dubh, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

So after a few episodes the two I've stuck to are Gosick and Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? - I've found both to be quite decent.

Have to catch up with Fractale.

Advertisement