Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My GP is retiring - any GP recommendations?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi folks,

I'm a mid-20s male looking for a new GP in Cork City, the location isn't highly important but somewhere near Bishopstown might be good.

And preferably not one that's near retirement :)

I'm also looking for someone that's approachable in regards to mental health issues (not saying I'm a basket case but when your previous GP basically recommends you go to the pub after starting a conversation about a bad day you know it's time to switch).

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Dr. Healy opposite Supervalu near the Lough. Great GP who knows his stuff (and knows that you know your 'stuff' better than anyone so isn't as dismissive of your concerns as other GPs might be!). I don't think he's got any retirement plans (please - NO!) and he's well up on mental health issues (beyond the usual, here have some pills line that some GPs have).

I'm sure you'll be spoilt for choice once this thread gets going ;)

Doctor Healy, last time I saw Doctor Healy was in the AIB in Ballyphehane last summer, was waiting for the manager and this dude started looking at me, I was thinking to myself what the feck is this chap looking at, sort of recognised him. Then he says are you James Beecher, I am says I are you Doctor Healy. I am he says, hadn't seen him since I was about 14 I think, had a nice yet sad chat with him, very nice dude he is, fingers crossed I won't see him anytime soon either (in his professional capacity anyway).

He's great though, my Mum had huge time for him and he was great to her, he also has done wonders for Daddy RJ, yearly check ups which resulted in Dad getting an angiogram and then a stent and being diagnosed with diabetes before he had any noticable symptoms. Top Doc in fairness, very pro active in his job. He'd have to be the guts of 55 or 60 now though. (apologies if you're not at least 55 doc, if you are younger you'd really want to get on the L'oreal stuff :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Couldn't agree more Dr Healy is a superb doctor and a down to earth gentleman, great with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Damarthy

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Have you a preference for a male doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Damarthy

Yeah a little bit, though I wouldn't rule out anyone if they came highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Dan Hinds in Bishopstown is very approachable and understanding.

Advertisement