Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 04-12-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Serious question, I lost a land permission today because of complaint from neighbours, not that I was firing in their direction. It’s a pity as I have only a few permissions, and there are generally rabbit or hare [when in season] there.

Anyway there is a history here, about 3 months prior a similar thing happen about three months ago, he even got a nearby caravan park, started by the landowner’s son in law. He rang around all the local houses; I have to walk down a small lane to access that part of my permission. Remember I have no car, so I generally walk or use one of the bikes to get me to my starting point and go on foot from there.

Landowner is a gent; sadly the son-in law is a thug and a bully, trying to provoke me etc. Anyway the result of that was the landowner asked me to stay away until the park closed. His son in law started a series of phone calls that had him pestered.

So I pop in to see him last week and ask if it was ok to start again, fire away he told me. I was out last week no problems, out again this morning. Then I hear voices about 4 fields away, so as far as I was concerned time to move on. Now the only was out was to move towards those voices, as I got close it was two women and two kids with labs. The dog where quite aggressive, but I kept my distance until the where on their leashes. Only words spoken where by me; “Sorry to meet you under such circumstances.” If I have a gun with me and I see somebody I always wave and try to be very polite. All I got off them was aggressive looks.

So I’m out of the field now, next the son in law skids to a halt and starts shouting at me, I stepped back to place the rifle on the ground a good distance away from the two of us, bolt was out and it was unloaded. Anyway very aggressively I was getting a lot of guff of him, threats to call the law etc. I had now right to be there etc, jumps out of the van. So I told him of the talk I had with the landowner, he was trying to provoke me, but I deal with much more serious people in work daily. Tried to pull me on point of law which he was wrong on and I directed him to where he would see that. He called the landowner as he did not believe me about the talk I had with him. There is no need to give you a word for word account, but he was trying to intimidate and provoke me, that just was not going to happen, I stayed clear focused and the strongest thing I said was “if you want to continue to speak to me, you will adjust your tone”.

Anyway landowner turns up a gent, but from what I can gather the other chap called all the people in the locality, and they where in turn getting on to him. So I lost my permission. As I said the landowner is a gent, I told him my case was in the next field and once I got that I would never be on him land again, I told him I was sorry for the calls he was getting, we shook hands and that was that.

Now I just called him not to try get permission again, I just want to let him know my side of the story, because god only knows what the other chap was saying. Just to put out I may pass some houses to access that area, but I’m moving away from them then, not firing in their direction. \hope that makes a bit of sense

Anyway sorry for the long post, but I’m interested in peoples opinions on this.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Sounds like the innocent party as in you is feeling the brunt of this, just cos the lad in the van doesnt agree with shooting or whatever his reasons are.

But since the landowner holds the shooting rights, why should you be told off by another fella?

On a more positive note, just to save yourself the hassle there is 1,000's of acres of land about, I know your limited due to not having a car but there is surely other kind farmers about that would not mind your presence and wont be dictated by a ranting fairy in a van giving you abuse for no reason. If your based in North Cork id happily help you get land, dont like seeing a keen sportsman being left out in the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

MarkD. wrote: »
    Sounds like the innocent party as in you is feeling the brunt of this, just cos the lad in the van doesnt agree with shooting or whatever his reasons are.

But since the landowner holds the shooting rights, why should you be told off by another fella?

On a more positive note, just to save yourself the hassle there is 1,000's of acres of land about, I know your limited due to not having a car but there is surely other kind farmers about that would not mind your presence and wont be dictated by a ranting fairy in a van giving you abuse for no reason. If your based in North Cork id happily help you get land, dont like seeing a keen sportsman being left out in the cold

Cheers mate, but the big one is the hassle he caused the landowner and he is his son in law. It took me three years to get permissions up here, I only moved up here six so bewteen commuting to work etc I don't know many other land owners. Cheers for the offer but I'm in Louth, my .17 is being call a high powered sniper rifle by this chap:rolleyes: I'm just interested in what the lads here see and their thoughts as I'm still learning, so if more info is needed ask away.

But fcuk it it's not the end of the world, but I liked that permission.

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers mate, but the big one is the hassle he caused the landowner and he is his son in law. It took me three years to get permissions up here, I only moved up here six so bewteen commuting to work etc I don't know many other land owners. Cheers for the offer but I'm in Louth, my .17 is being call a high powered sniper rifle by this chap:rolleyes: I'm just interested in what the lads here see and their thoughts as I'm still learning, so if more info is needed ask away.

But fcuk it it's not the end of the world, but I liked that permission.

Cheers again

Ya I get what your saying now about permissions. As far as I can see the son in law fella does not have a leg to stand on because you did notting wrong. You were on the right side of the law. So dont get worried about what he's accusing you of. Tomorrow is a new day so maybe call to a few other farmers and just be nice to them ask them about pest control etc etc

MarkD. wrote: »
    Ya I get what your saying now about permissions. As far as I can see the son in law fella does not have a leg to stand on because you did notting wrong. You were on the right side of the law. So dont get worried about what he's accusing you of. Tomorrow is a new day so maybe call to a few other farmers and just be nice to them ask them about pest control etc etc

It strange up here as they don't know me I usually get turned away, but I am making new contacts slowly, so something else will turn up. I drop the the farmer down a bottle during the week, as his hand was forced in it, and as I said he is a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

what happened there is a sickener
    the son in law is obviously a dick
    but he would be in the ear of the landowner and theres nothing you can do about that
    i would make sure that the landowner knew the truth
    keep on going and try round up a few more permissions ,put that one behind ya

• Advertisement

endasmail wrote: »
    what happened there is a sickener
    the son in law is obviously a dick
    but he would be in the ear of the landowner and theres nothing you can do about that
    i would make sure that the landowner knew the truth
    keep on going and try round up a few more permissions ,put that one behind ya

Dick is correct, but I phoned the landower tonight telling him I was not seeking permission, but wanted him to hear my side of the story. I'll drop him off a bottle of something when it cools down, I hold no ill feeling towards him.

Just have get on with it. Cheers mate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Unfortunately you have no recourse as the shooting rights have been revoked by the land owner, and by your post it seems unjustly so.

I would drop by the landowner to give your side of the story and clear the air as it were. Also as you said to show no hard feelings.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

that sucks big time. that lads son in law is a feckin nob head. feckin idiot probably saw a scope on the rifle and automatically thought "o sh1t that lads got a sniper rifle", its happened to me but luckily the lads who's land i shoot on know what the rifle is, so they don't listen to other muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Seems like you're screwed to be honest. From what you tell us it appears the land owner, gent or not, doesn't have the will to tell the knob son in law to PFO & mind his own business. I think I would wear a black armband if a daughter of mine married someone like him :eek: That or run him outta town on a rail :P

Cheers lads, yeah part of it is the scope and the mod= sniper rifle or whatever your want to incert. The difficult part now is try to get more land, but that will happen I hope.

• Advertisement

Can I just add a big thank you to the people who PMed with advice and support around this. Cheers Lads

Advertisement