Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1gb/s broadband to be trialled in UK.

• 04-12-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

BT are to run trials of 1gb broadband in UK,with a pledge to continue high speed rollouts nationwide.Will we ever see a commitment to do similar here? The NBS was/is a copout and smacks of going for the cheapest option which has proved to be the poorest.Ireland's broadband infrastructure is pitiful,all it needs is a scan through this forum to see the near endless problems we have.Now that the country is broke and we missed our chance in the boom years to build a broadband network for the future I doubt we'll see any investment for a long time.UPC is doing it's bit but is limited to urban areas and a select few at that.
    Link to article here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a291334/bt-to-trial-1gbps-broadband-next-year.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

probably not without FTTH (fibre to the home) and since we're totally fecked for the next, ooh *forever* i wouldn't hold your breath. :(

of course there's the chance that UPC will keep expanding to cover more of the country and eventually when EuroDOCSIS4.0 comes out, that'll probably be capable of gigabit speeds (being as v3 is good up to 400mbits) so who really knows. :confused: maybe, eventually i guess. it just depends on how long 'ever' is or how long you plan on living. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

no word about price ,the most important factor !!

rolion wrote: »
    no word about price ,the most important factor !!
    how many spare internal organs have you got? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

vibe666 wrote: »
    how many spare internal organs have you got? :D

enough to move the whole country bband over and connect it to 1Gb UK line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

id be happy with 1meg...if i could get it

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    enough to move the whole country bband over and connect it to 1Gb UK line...
    that might not be such a bad idea. i wonder how many cables we could run to the UK before boats started running into them? :D

whilst we're doing that, maybe we can run some power cables over to a few street lamps over there and siphon off some electricity to save some money on our own power bills? :D

Advertisement