Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams

Options
  • 04-12-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Being a 1st year was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what actually happens at the RDS?
    How long before the exam should we be there? Is there assigned seating? Is it just people doing your course that will be in the exam hall?
    Any info appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

the exams are in the rds, big room with a couple of thousand people. it is assigned seating and you should leave enough time to find your seat. i try and get to my seat about 10 mins before the exam starts and i get to the rds about 30 mins before so that i can go over stuff. you leave your bags outside but make sure you bring you valubles in. there actually quite fun exams. make sure your read the updated exam regulations and bring your student card, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

frser32 wrote: »
    Being a 1st year was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what actually happens at the RDS?
    How long before the exam should we be there? Is there assigned seating? Is it just people doing your course that will be in the exam hall?

You should be there around 15 mins before really. Yes there is assigned seating. There will be boards up showing peoples names and seat number. So your number there and once the hall opens find your seat. There are places to put your bags etc - think it cost a euro. There are maybe 1000 ppl in the hall so different courses etc. Your row will be ppl from your course though afaik.

Its all easy to find etc so don't be worried about it.

edit - was watching tv there so didn't notice someone else had answered. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

There will be couple of hundred people in the exam hall, doing different exams, but you will be in sections so you will be around people in your course. You have to check a board beforehand as you enter the RDS to get your table number, give yourself 10mins to do this.

Make sure you listen out for the announcer before exams. He is an absolute legend and always eases my nerves by making the whole room laugh with some bizzare random fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Make sure you listen out for the announcer before exams. He is an absolute legend and always eases my nerves by making the whole room laugh with some bizzare random fact.

This alone is the most important reason not to miss an exam. :pac:

Some of his lines are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Overature wrote: »
    the exams are in the rds, big room with a couple of thousand people. it is assigned seating and you should leave enough time to find your seat. i try and get to my seat about 10 mins before the exam starts and i get to the rds about 30 mins before so that i can go over stuff. you leave your bags outside but make sure you bring you valubles in. there actually quite fun exams. make sure your read the updated exam regulations and bring your student card, good luck

Whoa are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah there's usually about 1500-2000 in each exam session.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Note that the Winter exams are split over two halls: the Main Hall, and Industries Hall, for which you go back out the door and to the right. The exams office is at the far end of Industries Hall - that's where you go if you forget your card on the desk etc.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Early exams can be freezing, and in the later ones the hall can get pretty warm. Best to wear a few layers to be on the safe side. Nothing like cold hand when furiously trying to finish an answer when the invigilator is standing over you trying to get your script.

Also, I find ear plugs to be handy. I find it distracting when they make announcements about mistakes in some other paper, or that squeeky chair/desk in front of you... helps keep out the noise of 2000 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Whoa are you serious?

The Main exam hall is bigger than the pitch at Croke Park. You will only notice your class mates around you anyway so it won't bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The Main exam hall is bigger than the pitch at Croke Park. You will only notice your class mates around you anyway so it won't bother you.

Classic announcer guy announcement. ;)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Classic announcer guy announcement. ;)

Or maybe it is a post giving people who have never been in the exam hall an idea of the size of the hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

It deffo isn't that big!

edit: yeah just had a look at Google Earth and the main hall isn't even near as big as the rugby pitch at the RDS.

Jello wrote: »
    It deffo isn't that big!

edit: yeah just had a look at Google Earth and the main hall isn't even near as big as the rugby pitch at the RDS.

Are you questioning Mr. A Hunter :mad::mad::mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Croker is 144.5 m x 88m

and the RDS Main Hall is 74m x 49m

Now time to do some study

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Do not bring bananas.

They will be supplied in abundance

I was actually mistakenly referring to the Simmonscourt Exam Hall. I was mainly trying to freak out first years. Pedants ruined the joke. Damn you all! :pac:

Simmonscourt exam hall is 91 m, Croke Park is 88m before anybody butts in!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Is there usually parking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Mardy Bum wrote: »

From last year: "No electronic calculators are allowed in the exam hall".

That one got a right laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Victoria. wrote:
    Is there usually parking there?

Yes, you'll have to pay though. IIRC it's usually €20 for a two week parking ticket (which you buy online) or you pay €5 for the day at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Is there a bus that goes to the RDS straight from UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Is there a bus that goes to the RDS straight from UCD?

Usually yes - about every 30 mins iirc. Think its free too.

Yup. The SU lays it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

On a side note, if you are relying on coffee to give you a boost before the exam, I wouldn't depend on the little portable coffee shop-cafe thing they have going on. It is a bit mucky :(.
    For your first exam, it might be a help to go a little earlier than 15 minutes before you enter the exam hall. It is nice to calm down a bit, and get used to the place, plus I always seem to have brilliant chats with people in my course that calm me down before an exam.
    If you have no choice but to arrive really early for an exam (for example, you are taking a bus trip down on the day of the exam, or your transport arrangements mean you will be there well in advance), there is a supervised study area you can go to.
    I would recommend putting your bag etc. in the cloak rool area (it's just a cordoned off patch of the hall), at a cost of a euro. You can keep it behind a curtain or something, but you could have a laptop or that with you, so better be safe than sorry. If you need to give a coat in to the cloak room, put it in your bag because they will charge you another euro otherwise.
    If you need to be back at UCD shortly after the exam, don't hesitate in going outside of the bus. IT fills up quite quickly, so best to either get one well before your exam, or get to the stop early, if you think there is a chance it could be full.
    As per what UCD says,remember your student card etc. Also remember to take it off the desk when you are done (IT can be a hassle to have to walk back for it- trust me I know).
    Somebody on this thread mentioned that the temperature can be variable in the RDS- this is very true. Be prepared to deal with freezing cold, or boiling heat, depending on the situation.
    There will be security type people there to direct you where to go if you can't follow a group of people.I worried so mush about getting lost on my way to the hall, but even I could figure it out :)
    The SU give out pens, pencils and bananas before exams, though who knows if they can afford that this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This alone is the most important reason not to miss an exam. :pac:

At one exam he informed everyone in the hall that we were the largest crowd ever to sit an exam! So proud of that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Also: spare a thought for the poor souls who have to read your handwriting and try to find you some marks:

phd120310s.gif
    (from PhD Comics)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

frser32 wrote: »

It's very comparable to this actually:P;

Those little white fluffy yolks are actually students.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

Watch out for the pervy invigilators... They will rate you out of 10 and the discuss you and that rating with the other invigilators...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Watch out for the pervy invigilators... They will rate you out of 10 and the discuss you and that rating with the other invigilators...

That ratings out of 20 but don't beat yourself up about it :p

• Advertisement

Do I get any input on my rating or is it just up to the invigilators? :pac:

Advertisement