Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Do I get any input on my rating or is it just up to the invigilators? :pac:

Sexier attire will boost your score (so long as you're not morbidly obese anyway) ;)

Oh yeah, be prepared to be a little daunted by the sheer size of the exam hall at first. Once you find your seat and you're surrounded by people you know it's fine, but walking into the hall for the first time is pretty spectacular :eek:

Also, as someone else mentioned - wear layers. Lots and lots of layers. You can always strip some off if it gets too warm but I've found any morning exams I had were bitterly cold. Fingerless gloves are a handy thing to have ;). Also, leave your phone outside the exam hall. I think they're getting stricter now so you can't just leave it off and on the floor anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Watch out for the pervy invigilators... They will rate you out of 10 and the discuss you and that rating with the other invigilators...

Are you a pervy invigilator? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Would people rely on the UCD shuttle bus starting to run at 8 30 am on the first day of exams for an exam at 9am?

valor wrote: »
    Would people rely on the UCD shuttle bus starting to run at 8 30 am on the first day of exams for an exam at 9am?

If it is your first exam in the RDS, I would get over a little earlier to familiarize yourself with the set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

no ive been there a bunch, just wondering about the reliability of that bus

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take the chance as it can fill up quickly. But that is probably just me being ultra cautious about getting there on time. But I only used it once, so I am not exactly the person to be spouting on about it!

I always preferred walking over when I lived in campus in UCD. Cleared my head and I felt fresh as a daisy doing the exam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wouldn't take the chance as it can fill up quickly. But that is probably just me being ultra cautious about getting there on time. But I only used it once, so I am not exactly the person to be spouting on about it!

I always preferred walking over when I lived in campus in UCD. Cleared my head and I felt fresh as a daisy doing the exam.

I plan to do this as well! How long, approximately, does it take to walk from UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 catchthepigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Guys, where abouts in the number 10 bus stop on campus?

Well the 10 is gone now... But it's been replaced by the 39a, which stops beside Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can you trust anyone else to get you there on time? Buses can fill up, or just not appear at all, so walking is a good idea for that reason alone. I allow an hour for the walk, which leaves plenty of time for a coffee, loo or anything else.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    Can you trust anyone else to get you there on time? Buses can fill up, or just not appear at all, so walking is a good idea for that reason alone. I allow an hour for the walk, which leaves plenty of time for a coffee, loo or anything else.
    Yeah but I don't know how to get there, so I have to depend on the bus. At least for the first exam. Then I could probably walk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Guys, where abouts in the number 10 bus stop on campus?

The "number 10" stop (which is actually the 39a/2/3/17 stop - there is no 10 anymore, sadly) is the one directly across from the Quinn school of business, beside the exit from the Engineering car park.

Edit: Had this tab open for a while, didn't realise there had been about 5 posts in between :o

Yeah but I don't know how to get there, so I have to depend on the bus. At least for the first exam. Then I could probably walk.
    Walk down the N11 until you get passed the Dublin Bus Depot, where there is a junction. Turn right at this junction, keep walking up Anglesea road and you will arrive at the RDS. Haven't a notion how long it takes.

If you are going out the Clonskeagh entrance (Wynnsward drive), turn right then turn right again on Beach Hill road (along a river). You will emerge at the N11 beside the Dublin Bus Depot. Cross straight over the N11 and walk up Anglesea Road to the RDS. I'll be walking too, but don't know how long it takes - if you leave an hour before, you should be ok, providing you don't get lost! Can't see it taking much longer than 40-45 minutes though!

The "number 10" stop (which is actually the 39a/2/3/17 stop - there is no 10 anymore, sadly) is the one directly across from the Quinn school of business, beside the exit from the Engineering car park.

Edit: Had this tab open for a while, didn't realise there had been about 5 posts in between :o
    Ah, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, so to find your exam go up to J109. Find your name on the list with whatever room you're in that day. Walk around on your own in the empty shell that is the arts block during exam time. Sit on the floor do some last minute reading. Don't have any pre-exam banter with your mates. Don't have any pre exam invigilator banter. Sit in a freezing room on your own typing. Finish the exam in a third of the time it should take cause you're not writing. Leave. Have none of the post exam banter with mates. Go home. Repeat 5 times.

I wouldn't choose to not type exams. But its ****ing lonely as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

You can get directions on Google Maps but walking to RDS from UCD is v. straightforward 30-35 mins.
    Head out of front gate, turn left towards town. You will pass RTE mast on right, then Teresian School on left. When you come to first church you can see (Donnybrook Church) on your right, cross the road and take the left fork onto Anglesea Road. The RDS is very close to the end of this road, on your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm pretty sure it's going to take a lot longer than normal due to the ice slowing you down...

I'm pretty sure it's going to take a lot longer than normal due to the ice slowing you down...

Yeah this could be true if it is the same weather for the exams. Ordinarily it takes 35-45 minutes depending on how fast you are. But if the paths are very, very icy, walking might not actually be a good idea.

Anybody that is going to walk, I'd advise you to walk it as a test-walk the day before your exam. Then time how long it takes you and work from there. Always allow for added time that you will face walking down Anglesea Road when the footpath is full of people just finished exams walking in the opposite direction. Walking down Nutley Lane is another option for any potential walkers.

And here is a Google Map for anybody too lazy to search for it themselves :pac: That map is from Health Sciences, so basically use whatever exit you want to get onto the N11 from UCD.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=Custom+House,+Dublin+1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how much it costs to park at the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

FewToLose wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how much it costs to park at the RDS?

€5 for 1 day.
    €15 for 3 consecutive days
    €20 for the duration of the exams

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/Car%20parking.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Anyone else doing 20th Century History [2nd year]? Tough going preparing for it? I'm freaking out a bit.

Sorry to ask a question below another question. But does anyone know what number the bus that goes to the RDS tommorow will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sorry to ask a question below another question. But does anyone know what number the bus that goes to the RDS tommorow will be?

Won't be a numbered bus. Usually a white bus in the car park outside Glenomena...at least it was last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Guest11

Can students leave once they are finished or do you have to stay in for the full duration?

You've to stay at least 30 mins AFAIK and can't leave in the last 10. Most invigilators are easy-going enough though and will probably let you leave whenever you stick up your hand.

You can't leave for the first hour. Reason being that an early exit prevents a late comer from entering (possibility of cheating). You can't leave for the last 10 minutes as well for obvious reasons.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/examregulations.pdf

In my experience (and knowing people who have invigilated) they are strict about not letting people leave inside these times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Guest11

cool thanks

Well we're almost there. Tomorrow is the first day of exams... There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Best of luck everyone, I hope they go well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

WeeBushy wrote: »
    €5 for 1 day.
    €15 for 3 consecutive days
    €20 for the duration of the exams

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/Car%20parking.pdf

Wow, like, who pays for 3 consecutive days? Surely thats well silly...

Gluck all.

Advertisement