Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passat - Opinions?

• 05-12-2010 12:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of picking up an old Passat (98-00), and was wondering what folks think of them generally? Was hoping to go with a tdi.

Also considering a Mondeo (00 onwards), or maybe a Focus. Budget's only 2k.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

they were the older type non pd tdi.. very good engine wouldnt bother with a 1.6 petrol.. very underpowered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You wont find a good Passat for that money. Maybe a good 1.6 focus.

Auctions are worth a visit. I got a 98 318 tds for 300 quid during the week tested and all!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You wont find a good Passat for that money. Maybe a good 1.6 focus.

Auctions are worth a visit. I got a 98 318 tds for 300 quid during the week tested and all!!
    Define a good Passat? I've seen a good few for that money tbh.

Define a good Passat? I've seen a good few for that money tbh.

The B5.5 are still a very good car and holding there value. I have seen 01 130bhp making 4k. Great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

was there a dual mass flywheel in those versions?

• Advertisement

was there a dual mass flywheel in those versions?

AFAIK No

The B5.5 are still a very good car and holding there value. I have seen 01 130bhp making 4k. Great car.
    B5.5 were made post '01 were they not? For my money I'd be looking at 98-00.

tbh you may well be right, I look at every single new ad that comes up on donedeal and the likes and I'm always skeptical of things that a little too cheap! It's a right pain in the arse, the first car I bought I didn't actually pick out, this is the first time I'm actually sourcing a car myself so it's a new process. :)

For instance this seems too good to be true. Seems a good bit underpriced to me!

B5.5 were made post '01 were they not? For my money I'd be looking at 98-00.

tbh you may well be right, I look at every single new ad that comes up on donedeal and the likes and I'm always skeptical of things that a little too cheap! It's a right pain in the arse, the first car I bought I didn't actually pick out, this is the first time I'm actually sourcing a car myself so it's a new process. :)

For instance this seems too good to be true. Seems a good bit

underpriced to me!

I think that Mondeo has had a hard life. Tbh youll find it hard to get a good B5 Passat at this stage.

I think that Mondeo has had a hard life. Tbh youll find it hard to get a good B5 Passat at this stage.
    What would you suggest? Open to all suggestions really, once it's reliable and economical.

What would you suggest? Open to all suggestions really, once it's reliable and economical.

mk2 8valve punto

• Advertisement

mk2 8valve punto
    Open to all suggestions except a punto. :D I've driven one for the last 6 years, would prefer something different, and bigger, as you can see with the interest in the Passat & Mondeo.

The sad thing is with a budget like that cars are very dear. I would be headin to the auction with a good mechanic. Either that or a 1.6 focus or Polo. Dont get a 1.4 whatever you do..

Anyway Im up since 4 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Open to all suggestions except a punto. :D I've driven one for the last 6 years, would prefer something different, and bigger, as you can see with the interest in the Passat & Mondeo.

well you did say reliable and economical:D what about a corolla?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Topdeck

I had a 00 tdi passat for a few months . nice to drive,very powerfull and economical but there was always something to be fixed .i would fix something and a few weeks later another thing needed doing. in the end i sold it . i would say it was a great car when it was new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I know it's the old reliable here but an early octavia? Same pre-PD engines.

Advertisement