Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Swords

Options
  • 05-12-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

So myself and the OH are thinking about moving out of the city centre and Swords is a possibility.

Does anyone have any advice on areas to go for/avoid? We're not pushy on whether its an apartment or a house, once its decent in condition and price.

All and any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Swords is very far away,you know how much a cab is to swords from town or from anywhere? Bloody lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Inbox wrote: »
    Swords is very far away,you know how much a cab is to swords from town or from anywhere? Bloody lots.

Well I work in Swords and my other half has a car. There's also public transport, including nitelinks, so taxis aren't really an issue. I've also got plenty of taxis in the past from where I live now to Swords and I wouldn't call less than €25 "bloody lots".

Thanks for the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ah sure if you work there that's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

:D to the poster saying it's VERY far away.

Walking distance to the town would be handy. Most of the newer developments like Applewood, Swords Manor and Boroimhe are a good bit away but all have shops beside them.

Somewhere like Cianlea or Ardcian would be pretty suitable. I think they're quiet enough estates.

There's apartments above The Pavilions and also behind The Plaza if you want to be smack bang in the centre.

If you maybe post up a few places you've looked at it will be easier to say if it's a good or bad place to live.

Thanks Larianne. The looking hasnt really started in earnest yet as we're still undecided.

How far of a walk would it be from Applewood to the Main Street?

• Advertisement

I'd say 15 minutes depending on what part you live in. There's other newer estates around that area but I don't know the names of them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Hows it going Chinafoot. Myself and the missus moved from the city centre to Swords about a year ago and we're up in Ridgewood which I'm led to believe would be considered the fringe of Swords? It still only takes me 20 minutes to walk to Main Street, although, I wouldn't fancy it in this weather.

We were right in the city centre so we deliberated long and hard about moving out here.To be perfectly honest whether or not you love it or hate it will come down to your personality.

I'd lived in town for long enough to know the upside and the downside. The appeal of paying €5-6 a pint, standing in queues and paying into overpriced clubs and pubs had long worn off. However, if you're one of these people (and I do know them and they still baffle me to this day but each to their own) who is mad for going into town on really regular basis then (unless you have plenty of €€€ spare) Swords might not be for you. Some people are just obsessed with going into town every weekend no matter where they live in the city.

You can write off €50-60 on taxis before you start any night out. If you plan on doing that twice a weekend, four times a month then you're spending a fair few smackers before having a drink. Barring going out if you are a person who has to have every variation of every type of shop right on your doorstep then you'll struggle too. In town you have 30 shops to look for clothes, 25 book stores, 40 home appliance stores within a small radius and easily accessible but obviously its not the same here

Personally I think it's fine out here. I've not really had any problems (barring one with a slutty neighbour but thats a long one!) at all. There are loads of amenities. We do the bulk of our shopping in the Pavillions which is a ten minute drive away. You have cinema, clothes shop, record shops, newsagents etc.. etc... etc.. and also Airside for your hardware(ish) needs. There are nice places to eat in the village and some decent places to go on a night out.

It has everything you need. It's just if you are used to living in town it's a bit of a culture shock. Going from being able to walk everywhere to needing to take a (short) car journey instead to the amenities.

Hand on heart here the only thing I struggled with to begin with was not being able to see my friends as much. I only know a couple of people living out this way so meeting your mates during the week is hard. After the initial 'come out and check out the appartment/house' phase it's hard to see people as regularly. Trekking out to Swords, or you trekking back to town, isn't exactly handy after you've worked a 9-5, come home, had a shower, made the dinner etc...

That would be the only downside for me. To be really honest I still do miss seeing my friends as much now. Myself and the OH still don't really know anyone out here. Living in an appartment might be a factor. I don't know if living in a house would make it easier to get to know other people on the road/block/estate.

If there's anything else I could help you with or you'd like to know about, having done pretty much exactly what you are doing (moving to Swords from the City Centre with the OH), then feel free to ask.

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd say 15 minutes depending on what part you live in. There's other newer estates around that area but I don't know the names of them. :o

Ah right, thats not much at all. Thought it would be much further. Thanks.
    SwdDub wrote: »
    Hows it going Chinafoot. Myself and the missus moved from the city centre to Swords about a year ago ....

If there's anything else I could help you with or you'd like to know about, having done pretty much exactly what you are doing (moving to Swords from the City Centre with the OH), then feel free to ask.

Thanks for that!

Well I've been living in the city centre for almost 4 years now, I am originally from Balbriggan and the city centre really isn't for me. I have never really enjoyed living here. We do have friends that we would go for regular drinks with in tow (once every 2 weeks really) but we're both perfectly happy to use public transport. God knows I did it for long enough when I lived in Balbriggan :)

Thanks for your post, plenty to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Ah well if you're from Balbriggan (and enjoyed living there) then you know the score already. I'm not here long enough to tell you if there any areas to avoid living in. That would be the only concern you should have left I'd reckon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd double the time to walk from Applewoods to Swords Main Street to be honest, I live halfway between the two and it easily takes me 15 mins at a fast clip to hit the Main Street in fifteen minutes.

I'm not a fan of applewood, it's fairly high density, they do have a great Chinese and Spar, but there are always kids/teenagers hanging around and I tend to feel intimidated by them, same with the main Street after about ten at night especially after about ten o'clock on the main Street.

I've not gotten to know anyone apart from my neighbours but to be honest I've not made any effort apart from being online here :D

That said I love living in Swords, I love the closeness of Malahide and Howth for different reasons, Malahide Castle for a picnic on a summer day, then being able to explore Lusk, Balbriggan and Donabate.

It's also only an hour from Newry if I want to head up there.

There are loads of decent shops, Aldi and Lidl are only down the road in Ashbourne, and there are some lovely restaurants both in Swords, Howth, Malahide, and Ashbourne, haven't gotten to the more northern area yet :)

Rents here are low compared to a lot of areas in Dublin, if you lived close to Swords Main Street you'd have easy access to the Swords Express.

JC's the local supermarket has a great butchers especially if you're a learner cook.

You've easy access to Motorways, the airport is close by too.

For nights out, if you want to go into town and save, do a rota where one of you doesn't drink, my OH doesn't drink so he drives, but tbh it's rare we'd head into town, last time was last New Years, when we had to drive home in that awful snow!

If you do want to get involved in the community there is loads going on, I've seen a choir I want to join, gotten to know people in Howth through book sales, found a great mechanic through friends, it is a lovely community even though I'm not that involved.

Apart from the intimidating hordes of teenagers I mentioned, I've nothing but positive things to say about living in Swords!

*OH I forgot the traffic between now and Xmas, but that's the hazard of living near a large shopping Centre :)"

Good luck hunting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 m.anna

Hey, I'm moving to Swords end of Februay (work reasons).
    Can you tell me if Swords is safe place to walk in the evenings? I walk a lot and in Galway I'm not afraid to have a late evening walk on my own.
    I'll be looking for a place somewhere walking distance from Swords Business Park.

What about bus service? I hate driving and I'd rathe avoid buying car, especially living away from home. Is there a good bus service to get to shopping centre and to the airport (to catch bus home on Friday evening?).

m.anna wrote: »
    Hey, I'm moving to Swords end of Februay (work reasons).
    Can you tell me if Swords is safe place to walk in the evenings? I walk a lot and in Galway I'm not afraid to have a late evening walk on my own.
    I'll be looking for a place somewhere walking distance from Swords Business Park.

What about bus service? I hate driving and I'd rathe avoid buying car, especially living away from home. Is there a good bus service to get to shopping centre and to the airport (to catch bus home on Friday evening?).

I've never felt unsafe walking around Swords at night. Just have to be careful like anywhere else. Although saying that makes it sound unsafe when its not!

Yes, there are plenty of buses from the Main Street. You don't wait longer than 10-15 minutes during the week. For the airport bus, 41, it's regular enough or you could get the UrBus which also goes to the airport. Or there's a less regular 102 that goes from the top end of Main Street, outside Penneys, to the Airport.

Larianne - many thanks! I still can't get used to the thought I have to move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you're looking for somewhere for a recreational walk, the estuary is beautiful and is a very popular spot for a walk at weekends and in the bright evenings. It's just beyond Swords business park.
    I've lived in Swords since I got married almost 28 years ago and I love it.

If you're looking for somewhere for a recreational walk, the estuary is beautiful and is a very popular spot for a walk at weekends and in the bright evenings. It's just beyond Swords business park.
    I've lived in Swords since I got married almost 28 years ago and I love it.

That's great to know. Thanks.

Signing the lease tomorrow for a lovely place in Applewood. Thanks for all the advice folks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Good luck!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Good Luck, I was up there for a year. Really nice area....... only one thing to watch out for is the car clampers....Make sure you display the tag they give you with the lease or that any visitors don't park in the wrong spot.
    Apart from that is great.

Advertisement