Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No receipt but still under warranty

Options
  • 05-12-2010 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

I bought a laptop a year ago well about 2 weeks under a year and the laptop charging slot just broke, it doesn't look too serious but I need it fixed, where would I go, to power city or get in contact with Toshiba? I have no receipt but does that matter, it should still be in warranty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you can prove to Power City that you bought it there, no receipt is necessary. In general, Power City ask for your name/address/phone when you buy something for this very reason - they can look up the transaction on their computer without you needing a receipt.

You should never have to go back to a manufacturer in that sort of time frame, always deal with the retailer.

That said, I fund it a bit suspicious for a charging slot to "just break" without there being some sort of fault on the user's behalf, but that's for Power City to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

alpha2010 wrote: »
    it doesn't look too serious
    Depends on the laptop. With some laptops, it's a simple part that needs replacing, with others, the motherboard needs to be replaced. The former is cheap, the latter is dear.

There is a very very very very slim possibility that the fault is a manufacturing fault, but 90% of the cases I've seen where the connection doesn't work, it's due to the pin being bent by accidental user misuse.

If it's a manufacturing fault, the manufacture covers it, otherwise you'll be billed. It really is that simple.

=-=

Bring it back to the retailer. The manufacture would go by when the laptop was made, and if it was sitting on Power City's shelf for a month or two, that warranty will probably have expire, and they'll ask for proof of purchase. As said, Power City may have you in the system, so I'd say go with the retailer. Also, it's easier for them to package it correctly, and send it back. If you were to send it back improperly packaged to the manufacture, you'd be responsible for the packaging.

I have seen people return laptops in a plastic bag. Laptop + plastic bag + courier van = huge damage by the time it gets to the manufacture.

So yeah, bring it back to the retailer.

Advertisement