Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the way forward for domestic football ?

• 05-12-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Certainly this is something I would have ideas on.I know a couple of years ago plans were put forward by Platinum One to have an All Ireland League.While that is the minimum I would like to see happen, my preference would be for a professional league system involving Ireland and Scotland to be set up.We are a small country with football not being the national game unfortunately so it would be very difficult, impossible almost,to sustain a top quality league championship from within our own borders.Scotland for their part,though having the advantage of football being their national game,aren’t big enough and don’t have enough quality professional clubs for a really good league.Both countries need a competitive environment for their teams.So for that reason it makes sense for two relatively small countries to pool their resources in order to challenge successfully the bigger boys.

Just to elaborate further on this.I would envisage that a radical overhaul of the existing club structure in the Republic,and in the North too for that matter,would need to take place,both on and off the field.I’m thinking here of regional superclubs with good facilities,coaching etc. We couldn’t enter a competition such as this with ‘glorified amateur clubs’ and expect to do well.Merging of existing clubs and their resources would probably need to take place and see them starting life under new names.Whether that is something LOI fans would be unhappy with I don’t know ? Going back to the issue of coaching for a moment.If on a longterm basis we did have strong professional teams here at home and weren’t relying on England to employ all of our footballers,it could offer the opportunity to break away from the type of football played cross-channel and look more towards places like Spain and France.Bring in professional coaches from countries in mainland Europe and develop a new style of football.An Irish version of the Continental game ? Don’t get me wrong I like English football(Liverpool fan for better or worse !)but I think our links to the English game and footballing culture are more of a hindrance than a help.

So that’s what I think.Let me know your opinions and whether you agree/disagree.You know the drill :).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Try and emphasize the importance of solvency for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just no to everything.

You want to make regional superclubs, throwing away the great histories of clubs like Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers etc. Ridiculous.

wexfordia wrote: »

Just to elaborate further on this.I would envisage that a radical overhaul of the existing club structure in the Republic,and in the North too for that matter,would need to take place,both on and off the field.I’m thinking here of regional superclubs with good facilities,coaching etc. We couldn’t enter a competition such as this with ‘glorified amateur clubs’ and expect to do well.Merging of existing clubs and their resources would probably need to take place and see them starting life under new names.Whether that is something LOI fans would be unhappy with I don’t know ?

Just had a read through your post and the bit I've quoted stands out.

Absolutely no way that's going to happen and no good reason for it either. Your asking lifelong fans of clubs to just forget about their history and shack up with their rivals? Having a rivalry is one of the best things about supporting a team and you ain't gonna get Rovers and Bohs fans shouting for the same team anytime soon and nor should they.

Have a read about MK Dons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only thing wrong with our league is attendances, the football is as good as our level allows.

Our clubs have strict rules to adher to which they dont and are usually punished, English clubs are allowed run up stupid debt and it seems only the tax office over there controls who exists and who doesnt.

Our way forward is clear and defined we create players for the national team thats what every league in the world is there for. We are actually doing it now, in the near future we will have more Ex LOI players in the national squad then english players and imo thats a success the PL fans mightnt like it but tough our national team will actually represent ireland.

Other than that nice stadiums for all would be nice but unlikely. We certainly wont be building one seemingly St Michaels needs more houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

All-Ireland league would result in disaster, imo.
    Regional superclubs? You can see the likes of Bohs, Pats and Rovers fans merging together?

We'd need an overhaul of the youth system to inplement continental football, too many Daddy coaches that know shag all about anything other than United and Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So you want to get rid of all existing fans in a hope that your new superclubs will get all the Premier league fans to stop supporting their teams and support yours instead?

Basically everyone in the country needs to pick a new team to support under your plan?

Where are you planning on getting the funding for this by the way? Are you going to bankroll each club? Going to need to pay big wages to convince superstars to leave their English clubs.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Our clubs have strict rules to adher to which they dont and are usually punished, English clubs are allowed run up stupid debt and it seems only the tax office over there controls who exists and who doesnt.

That's pot kettle for the most part. Has every club in the Premier Division had a solvency issue in the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

So would any of you actually like to see us form a league with Scotland ? It seems the issue of club mergers is the biggest issue with you.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbh, as sad as it is, this country would have more domestic soccer fans if it was to rebrand the league and create regional teams and disband the current clubs. Sad but true imo.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    That's pot kettle for the most part. Has every club in the Premier Division had a solvency issue in the last few years?

Define solvency? Only your club in england is a good business model but what has that won you? As a fan you want your team to buy the best player and win things. I would love St Pats not to have to depend on our benefactor and survive without but its not possible.

We chased the dollar and lost as our footballing decisions were stupid. We are the equivalent of Roman buying chelsea and getting Phil Brown to manage them with limitless funds.

Like for Like we mirror england (not just in football) and our clubs actually get punished for it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tbh, as sad as it is, this country would have more domestic soccer fans if it was to rebrand the league and create regional teams and disband the current clubs. Sad but true imo.

You mean that professional clubs would be set up from scratch and start afresh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Only thing wrong with our league is attendances, the football is as good as our level allows.

Bullsh*t. Disorganisation at club and national level are continually holding this country back. Look at Galway United as a perfect example, no proper youth infrastructure and in spite of this they are at total logger heads with the local youth setups.

People who follow Dublin clubs really aren't aware of the regional divide here, but the west has a fraction of the footballing infrastructure. I know of some kids who've commuted from the likes of Limerick or Galway just to train with Dublin clubs, that's insane! I totally understand how fans may feel about this, but we really do have to pool our resources if we are to maxmise the development of our football here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think the only way forward is a 16 team league with a first division of something similar. It should be FAI policy in trying to get good clubs in every city ie Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny. Then in every borough ie Drogheda, Sligo, Dundalk, Clonmel and Wexford.
    It should be FAI policy to give them real good stadia.
    Just one or two stands 2-6000 capacity of the stadium.
    Cheap prices (tenner an adult).
    Give it the 'local' feel. Make it feel like supporting Wexford or Clonmel whilst being from there is nearly a must. You have to start picking up local talent. Too many young lads from Rural Ireland with not a team within miles. Only option is to go abroad. We need more teams to keep them here.
    The teams that are already here should be relocated to big areas like
    Bohs to Blanch, Spingal to Swords. If they already have a stadium in a good area like Dundalk do it should be majorily redeveloped. People in this day and age will only watch LOI in a good stand and at a cheap price.
    Professional football IS sustainable but at a much lower cost. No more 3,500k a week contracts. The off season is also too long. November, December, January, February and the start of March. The season should be a month longer especially with all the fixtur congestion due to there being so many different trophies ( League, Cup, League cup, Leinster senior league, Setanta and for some Europe).
    Ní neart go cur le cheile.

Bullsh*t. Disorganisation at club and national level are continually holding this country back. Look at Galway United as a perfect example, no proper youth infrastructure and in spite of this they are at total logger heads with the local youth setups.

People who follow Dublin clubs really aren't aware of the regional divide here, but the west has a fraction of the footballing infrastructure. I know of some kids who've commuted from the likes of Limerick or Galway just to train with Dublin clubs, that's insane! I totally understand how fans may feel about this, but we really do have to pool our resources if we are to maxmise the development of our football here.

Same problem here tbh, the clubs that can get you a plane ticket to england are the prefered choice of most parents Crumlin, Cherry orchard etc they have full time paid coaches and show up at the parents house with a picture of Robbie Keane/Stokes in a Crumlin/Cherrier jersey and new pair of boots for the kid.

My son is on the FAI emerging talent* program and all i want him to do is play for pats :D Seeing the reality 1st hand is that the pats program wasnt good enough to coach him to the next level. The others with their full time coaches and complete disregard for the kid are right for his coaching but they really do not give a **** about the kid all they care about is getting him on a plane and getting paid, its actualy sickening.

The divide between LOI and Junior football will never be bridged as along as the junior clubs are in it for the money. LOI clubs in it for the player and then the money.

* i know many people on here slate the FAI but this **** is ****ing unreal, kids learn to play ball with the best available coaches, 90% of englands finest irish players came tru it.

* i know many people on here slate the FAI but this **** is ****ing unreal, kids learn to play ball with the best available coaches, 90% of englands finest irish players came tru it.

It has been around five years at most mate :confused:

Define solvency? Only your club in england is a good business model but what has that won you? As a fan you want your team to buy the best player and win things. I would love St Pats not to have to depend on our benefactor and survive without but its not possible.

We chased the dollar and lost as our footballing decisions were stupid. We are the equivalent of Roman buying chelsea and getting Phil Brown to manage them with limitless funds.

Like for Like we mirror england (not just in football) and our clubs actually get punished for it.

Solvency is trading within your means; clubs in the UK and Ireland seem to have problems with the concept. Do clubs really get punished for it though? No team has fallen greater than one division. Outside of Dublin City Franchise and Kilkenny City no clubs have folded. Derry will be back in the Premier Division next year; Shamrock Rovers won the title last year after being in Examinership only 5 years ago. Shels seem to be the only club that has suffered in terms of time spent out of the Premier Division.

You've mentioned the Arsenal business model and a lack of success with trophies; I'd argue the model itself is success - that you can build a sustainable competitive football team without incurring huge losses and mounting debt. I started supporting Arsenal the way most kids did; family friend bought my allegiances with a jersey and I wanted to be different to my United/Liverpool supporting mates. I come from a rural area where Galway United are the nearest LOI team and they're an hours drive away from me. I'd have loved to have supported them and gone to matches but it just simply wasn't an option for me. The first 8 months of this year I was living in Glasnevin and I went to a good few Bohs games in Dalymount - they were within my reach and it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Basically LOI clubs need to create a sustainable model whereby they focus on developing youth. The European Dream to get to the Champions League Group Stages [which destroyed Shels] needs to be forgotten about. Ireland is a small country that has 4 sports competing for attention so it'll always be hard to get and keep youngsters. The method seems to be that we send them over aged 16 and they either disappear or come back to the LOI. I'd like to see more in the lines of what happened with Kevin Doyle - give a young guy a chance and let him progress onto England if it happens. I'd like to see in 10 years time [as mentioned by another poster] that every member of the Republic's first XI started off at an LOI club.

The LOI does a bit right too; the Friday evening kick-offs and summer football are a great idea. The likes of Kevin Doyle and Keith Fahey will give it more exposure. MNS on RTE is very good too [so long as ****ing Roddy Collins isn't on it!]. It's not all bad; there is hope.

It has been around five years at most mate :confused:

Program is running for years, roy keane was on it ffs seriously how old are you?
    Solvency is trading within your means; clubs in the UK and Ireland seem to have problems with the concept. Do clubs really get punished for it though? No team has fallen greater than one division. Outside of Dublin City Franchise and Kilkenny City no clubs have folded. Derry will be back in the Premier Division next year; Shamrock Rovers won the title last year after being in Examinership only 5 years ago. Shels seem to be the only club that has suffered in terms of time spent out of the Premier Division.

You've mentioned the Arsenal business model and a lack of success with trophies; I'd argue the model itself is success - that you can build a sustainable competitive football team without incurring huge losses and mounting debt. I started supporting Arsenal the way most kids did; family friend bought my allegiances with a jersey and I wanted to be different to my United/Liverpool supporting mates. I come from a rural area where Galway United are the nearest LOI team and they're an hours drive away from me. I'd have loved to have supported them and gone to matches but it just simply wasn't an option for me. The first 8 months of this year I was living in Glasnevin and I went to a good few Bohs games in Dalymount - they were within my reach and it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Basically LOI clubs need to create a sustainable model whereby they focus on developing youth. The European Dream to get to the Champions League Group Stages [which destroyed Shels] needs to be forgotten about. Ireland is a small country that has 4 sports competing for attention so it'll always be hard to get and keep youngsters. The method seems to be that we send them over aged 16 and they either disappear or come back to the LOI. I'd like to see more in the lines of what happened with Kevin Doyle - give a young guy a chance and let him progress onto England if it happens. I'd like to see in 10 years time [as mentioned by another poster] that every member of the Republic's first XI started off at an LOI club.

The LOI does a bit right too; the Friday evening kick-offs and summer football are a great idea. The likes of Kevin Doyle and Keith Fahey will give it more exposure. MNS on RTE is very good too [so long as ****ing Roddy Collins isn't on it!]. It's not all bad; there is hope.

Your spot on but we cant compete with the golden ticket to england, but people forget we are doing the above we provide a "game" for lads coming back from england and provide them a platform to get back if they are arsed. noone ever questions if they are good enough we all know they are.

Its all about knowing your place and atm we placed very well for english clubs to rape us of our talent, i dont see this a bad thing as we get the players back from them and get them playing ball and getting paid for it. its a vicious circle but one that works english clubs more likely to take a punt on an irish player than a scottsch player and they have a full time pro league.

Program is running for years, roy keane was on it ffs seriously how old are you?

Your spot on but we cant compete with the golden ticket to england, but people forget we are doing the above we provide a "game" for lads coming back from england and provide them a platform to get back if they are arsed. noone ever questions if they are good enough we all know they are.

Keith Fahey is a prime example of that. I'm well open to correction on this too but did Wes Hoolahan spend anytime in England when he was a youngster? I know he was with Shels alright but was he always LOI up to his move to England? Doing very well with Norwich now.
    Its all about knowing your place and atm we placed very well for english clubs to rape us of our talent, i dont see this a bad thing as we get the players back from them and get them playing ball and getting paid for it. its a vicious circle but one that works english clubs more likely to take a punt on an irish player than a scottsch player and they have a full time pro league.

English clubs will get who they want because they have the money. What I'd much rather see someone like Bohs do for example is instead of spending x amount on Rafa Cretaro spend it on your coaching system. Start getting into schools and building a bond with the community. Start getting kids wanting to kick a football rather than pick up a hurl.

It's an idealists strategy admittedly but I do think the Kevin Doyle template is what we should be aiming for.

It's an idealists strategy admittedly but I do think the Kevin Doyle template is what we should be aiming for.

Picked the wrong player for your template.

Doyle played for a Wexford youth team Dolan was a mate of Wallace , Wallace wanted to buy Pats and make something of them. Doyle signed for Pats but Wallace deal fell tru as Dolan was a snidey **** and only interested in himself and about to be sacked by Pats.

Dolan went to Cork and did well brought Doyle (obviously talented) then was sacked by them, but informed his brother at Reading about Doyle and the fact he had 2 contracts with Cork entitling them to peanuts. Dolan Snidey **** knew this and Doyle went to Reading and was seemingly good enough for Ireland the day his plane landed.

In fairness we got 7 grand out of that deal and it was always obvious the lad had talent and was good enough for any league.

But therein lies the problem even at our level people look out for themselves and how much cash they can make, Bray manager is banned by FIFA as acting as an agent :|

• Advertisement

Old enough to be offered a spot on it when it began. Roughly 4 or 5 years ago.

Old enough to be offered a spot on it when it began. Roughly 4 or 5 years ago.

Keane did it in Collinstown Park with Neilstown Rangers with Brian Kerr before he went to Forest.

He wasnt the 1st and certainly wont be the last. Rangers dont exist anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All the reformation in the world isn't going to solve a thing when you have people that actually travel over to see teams in the championship and League one before attending games here.

Everything else other than getting people coming and watching domestic teams is cosmetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Certainly this is something I would have ideas on.I know a couple of years ago plans were put forward by Platinum One to have an All Ireland League.While that is the minimum I would like to see happen, my preference would be for a professional league system involving Ireland and Scotland to be set up.
    I stopped reading after this... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why would we want to set up a league with Northern Ireland and Scotland?
    Why would they want to be in a league with us?
    And why oh why would all three associations risk their places in UEFAto do this?
    You can't just go around merging leagues to make the sport more attractive or competitive, you have to put in hard work aat grassroots level for years to do that.

The whole idea stinks of the immediate success culture that is in football at the moment.

I stopped reading after this... :rolleyes:

Well if you stopped reading after the first few sentences then how are you in a position to give your opinion on the content of my original thread ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Because usually when someone mentions cross border leagues, they also mention regional super clubs and the existing clubs and fans abandoning their history and heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bray manager is banned by FIFA as acting as an agent :|
    I'm really interested in this. Where did you hear that?

I'm a Bray fan and I can't stand the twat but I've never heard that about him.

On the All-Ireland league, when this was mentioned before someone brought up the issue that apparently a pre-requisite for having a national team is having a national league.

Therefore, if we merged the LOI with the IL, we'd have to merge both national teams and I don't see people on either side giving in on that, considering our national teams are the most high-profile part of our respective associations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Well if you stopped reading after the first few sentences then how are you in a position to give your opinion on the content of my original thread ?? :rolleyes:

Too many clubs in England, lets merge the Liverpool clubs, call the new team the Everton Reds. Would you have any interest in what I have to say in the next couple of paragraphs?

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Too many clubs in England, lets merge the Liverpool clubs, call the new team the Everton Reds. Would you have any interest in what I have to say in the next couple of paragraphs?

I would read everything the person had to say & consider it before making a judgement.Perhaps the same courtesy could be extended to me ??

I'm really interested in this. Where did you hear that?

I'm a Bray fan and I can't stand the twat but I've never heard that about him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1052374/John-Terrys-manager-Aaron-Lincoln-blacklisted-FAs-agents-crackdown.html

Dont believe it was rescinded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

One of the problems the LOI has is that entire counties have no interest or connection to a club. Its like a dublin league plus a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Try and emphasize the importance of solvency for a start.

As opposed to what other football league, or indeed other Irish sport?

While at least the OP is making an effort to come up with an idea, its flawed at a number of levels, as seen above.

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with the LoI other than it doesn't get the punters through the door the product deserves. Any changes are cosmetic - if people won't go to see Bohs they certainly won't go to see a 'superclub'. Dublin City killed that idea.

Rovers are the template, whether other clubs will admit it or not. Working in partnership with the local council, 5,000 at most games and have tied into the local grassroots and schools. To the point where local barbers list the "Gary Twigg" haircut on their price list. Why all LoI clubs don't do this, or prioritise resources to do this, is a question for them.

The idea that as a league clubs are worse run than other leagues or Irish sports is a curious one. Even the Man Uniteds of the world have financial issues in the current climate. The whole of the English pyramid has clubs in recievership, doing deals with the Brit taxman etc. Its not unique to the LoI and its disingenuous to claim otherwise

I personally would like to see an All Ireland League and believe it will happen, but will people suddenly flock to games in numbers to see Dungannon over Cork?

The last major reform Delaney has on his list is the fracture between the LoI and, for want of a better expression, grassroots. There are too many coaches out there who either through well intentions or plain bungs, push kids into overseas trials as if its the be all and end all. We need all high potential kids playing with their clubs and also doing the elite FAI courses, not being whisked off aged 13 overseas. Structure that into the LoI clubs, as is starting to happen, and if the kids are good enough they go at 20 to England for a fee with a few years as a pro behind them. No coincidence that the best Irish players coming through all did this - Doyle, Fahey, Long, Meyler, Hoolihan etc.

Dempsey wrote: »
    One of the problems the LOI has is that entire counties have no interest or connection to a club. Its like a dublin league plus a few others

So they pick a club in a different country instead? Don't buy it.

• Advertisement

So they pick a club in a different country instead? Don't buy it.

Hasnt stopped it happening though

These clubs need to be catching kids around the country before they get interested in clubs in other leagues imo which isnt happening outside their local areas.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Hasnt stopped it happening though

These clubs need to be catching kids around the country before they get interested in clubs in other leagues imo which isnt happening outside their local areas.

As may be, but Rovers have supporters clubs in Wexford, Trim, Mullingar etc.

I find the idea that a kid in Mayo refuses to support Galway or Sligo because they are from a different county and goes and follows a team in a different country instead.

I find the idea that a kid in Mayo refuses to support Galway or Sligo because they are from a different county and goes and follows a team in a different country instead.

Its pretty easy to understand to be fair. A kid living in Mayo is about an hour at the least from either Galway United or Sligo Rovers. Not feasible for them unless by chance they've a willing parent. Far easier for them to support a team in a league that is easily accessible via Sky and has most of the glamour names in football outside of the Spanish big two. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is; money wins out.

Its pretty easy to understand to be fair. A kid living in Mayo is about an hour at the least from either Galway United or Sligo Rovers. Not feasible for them unless by chance they've a willing parent. Far easier for them to support a team in a league that is easily accessible via Sky and has most of the glamour names in football outside of the Spanish big two. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is; money wins out.

They would have the same issue if Castlebar Celtic took the step up to the Loi, which is quite possible. Westport to Castlebar is the same trek.

Its got nothing to do with geography. Its got everything to do with ease of access / consumption. Hopefully we will see a change in that when the weekly live games start on RTE next season.

I think Ireland is parochial in that sense.People sometimes confuse the soccer teams with that of the GAA structure and therefore think it's wrong to support a team from outside their area.

• Advertisement

I think Ireland is parochial in that sense.People sometimes confuse the soccer teams with that of the GAA structure and therefore think it's wrong to support a team from outside their area.

... so support a team from outside the country instead...?

Its not a valid excuse. Loads go from Mayo to follow Sligo, Meath to follow Drogs, Armagh to follow Dundalk etc.

Most young people from Laois couldn't be arsed about LoI because there are no teams near us. Kildare were, but when I was younger Laois and Kildare played against eachother a few times in big enough games in GAA so I had a large dislike for Kildare, so I was gonna be supporting them in soccer.
    The midlands need a LoI team fairly badly, imo, as the nearest LoI teams are in Dublin. Rovers are probably the closest team to me, so technically they're my local team.:pac:

baz2009 wrote: »
    Most young people from Laois couldn't be arsed about LoI because there are no teams near us. Kildare were, but when I was younger Laois and Kildare played against eachother a few times in big enough games in GAA so I had a large dislike for Kildare, so I was gonna be supporting them in soccer.
    The midlands need a LoI team fairly badly, imo, as the nearest LoI teams are in Dublin. Rovers are probably the closest team to me, so technically they're my local team.:pac:

Athlone? Longford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Athlone? Longford?

But that's not exactly supporting a local team. I think it's a tad ironic to lambast people for supporting an English team over a local alternative, and then to suggest that they should support a team outside of their locality, to which they might have absolutely no ties to, just because its Irish.

Einhard wrote: »
    But that's not exactly supporting a local team. I think it's a tad ironic to lambast people for supporting an English team over a local alternative, and then to suggest that they should support a team outside of their locality, to which they might have absolutely no ties to, just because its Irish.

I am saying its a nonsense excuse. "I have no affinity with my nearest professional team because its not near enough, so I support a team in a different country".

Do me a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I am saying its a nonsense excuse. "I have no affinity with my nearest professional team because its not near enough, so I support a team in a different country".

More like "I have no affinity with my nearest professional team because it has no connection with my community or locality, so I support the team of my family/friends/favourite player"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Do me a favour.

I think it would be silly if it was the only reason for not supporting an Irish team. But most people, myself included, have various reasons for supporting English football teams, and like all such things, they're generally emotional, rather than logical. I really don't see how I, living in the south east, should have any more affinity with, say, Finn Harps than with Liverpool. Indeed, goven local rivalry etc, the idea of shouting for a Waterford or an Offaly team would be anathema to most people I know!

ONYD, I think you have a detached reality of what actually happens.

What you may think as acceptable means nothing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

no, roy keane was on one of the fas/ fai run footballing coarses?!! these have been running for years. the players taking part in this do it 4or5 days a week and get paid by fas. they actually play in the universities and colleges leagues and cups now.

the fai development squads or FAI emerging talent programe as it is known aswell has only been around for 6 or 7 years. they are for players who are good but just not international standard yet and its trying to make sure that none of these players get left behind from being late bloomers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

So that’s what I think.Let me know your opinions and whether you agree/disagree.You know the drill :).

Do you support any LOI clubs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement