Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Cut Back An Ash Tree But......................

Options
  • 05-12-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Last spring, I cut back an ash tree growing at the end of our garden. I was afraid that the roots would buckle my patio, etc.

I just left the trunk and three large limbs growing up out of it.

Every so often, green shoots would sprout from the three limbs and I would pull them off.

I went on holidays for a month during the summer and, when I got back, new shoots had really taken off. I left them grow and the tree really came back to life.

My question..... Can I do anything to prevent the ash tree from producing more shoots if I cut off the existing ones, or should I just go ahead and chop it down completely?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hardwood trees will grow back from a stump. you can cut it down, but unless you're happy with it constantly regenerating, you need to kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

hardwood trees will grow back from a stump. you can cut it down, but unless you're happy with it constantly regenerating, you need to kill it.

Thanks, Magic. I was hoping that someone would tell me that there was something I could paint onto the bark, etc., to stop it sprouting.

Looks like I'll be able to make a few hurleys so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bore a few deep holes into the trunk and pour in weedkiller or diesel....no more growth, happy out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't pour in diesel. get a proper herbicide which will denature and won't poison the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably have to chop it down because most of the roots are under the patio and herbicide/weedkiller wouldn't get at the roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 wrecks1971

Cut it back when it starts to grow again, bore a few holes into stump and put some roundup into the fresh cut. Also apply roundup to any new growth that pops out. You wont kill in one magic spray, it`ll probably take a few sprays. This chemical is translocating (it`ll travel through the plants system and kill everything). Timing is important as chemical only works when plant is growing.

Advertisement