Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transwoman brutally assaulted, police say attacker put victim in their place.

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is seriously shocking, the link contains a pretty horrible image that is very disturbing.
    The assailant hit Akasha and pulled out her hair as he pulled her through the door into the store. The man then shoved his hand in her mouth with his thumb, tore three of her teeth out of socket, and broke her jaw as he forced Akasha to the ground. The assailant then stood up and walked into the store to shop as Kohl's staff stood idly by greeting other shoppers.
    the picture shows the damage of what he did to her, and it is seriously disturbing

http://grand-divisions.blogspot.com/2010/12/transwoman-assaulted-at-kohls.html

:(:mad:

I don't think I really have the words to say how angry and disgusted this makes me feel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Links234 wrote: »
    Ok, this is seriously shocking, the link contains a pretty horrible image that is very disturbing.
    The two shocking things about this incident are the attack, and how the treatment she received from the police and the shop changed utterly when it was learned that she is transgender.

It looks like the attack itself had nothing to do with her being transgender. Her gender identity didn't seem to come into play until the cops asked her for her i.d., which was a male i.d. As soon as she did so, the cops started to ignore her, minimise what happened, and give her the general run-around.

As for the store employees - they just watched the attack, and have also been dismissive and insensitive, though the latter parts of the article seems to suggest that might be changing (no doubt the fact that they have liability has something to do with that).

:( :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Firstly, people stood around and watched as she was being assaulted, then her case was completely dismissed when she was found to be trans. Seriously, what the fúck. From what I read, we still have a long way to come as far as recognition goes if this is what happens and this is how we are treated by the Authorities, who are obliged to do something regardless.

Advertisement