Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Getting Employment in Aus

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey All, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm thinking of moving to Australia in the New Year but am unsure about my employment prospects. My situation is as follows:
    • I'm in my mid-twenties.
    • I have 2 years experience working in an IT Consultant/Business Analyst style role in Ireland.
    • I have not applied for any visas before.
    I want to work in a similar job if I move to Australia, or at least a role that will further my career (i.e. I'm not interested in a career break).

What are my options? Is there any possibility of me finding a job before I move? If so, how should I go about this? What type of visa should I apply for? Is a 1 year WHV sufficient? I don't think I will have enough points to gain a skilled migration visa (not enough experience yet).

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You can come over on a WHV and try for contracting roles. You might get lucky but it's a bit of a risk. What were you consulting in/with? There are certain areas that are in demand. PM me if you don't want to give details online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

2 years really isnt that much experience to guarantee contracting work in Oz...Do you have sufficient work in Ireland at the moment? My best advice would be to get 4/5 years under your belt before heading down that road

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

In a similar place as the OP so subscribed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FakeSheikh

Cheers for the responses lads, much appreciated, even if things aren't sounding too promising at the moment.

I am currently in steady employment at the moment in Ireland. Part of the reason I am thinking of leaving is because a lot of the skills I am acquiring seem to be very specific to this job alone. Thus I am hoping to try something different for a while (even a new Junior or entry-level position) and expand my skill set.

Aside from this, there is also the simple desire to leave Dublin and try living somewhere new, while I am still young and free enough to do so. Sticking with my present job might be the safest option, but it's not a prospect that appeals to me right now, when the temperature is -10 degrees outside, and the central heating is broken in my house!

This may be unrealistic, but I was hoping to be out in Australia, with employment secured, within the first half of 2011. Is there anything I can try?

Advertisement