Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body punches mma

• 05-12-2010 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Just wondering lads how important do you feel body punches are in mma?
    I don't see much fights being ended this way or fighters employing this as a weapon much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

I'd take head shots all day over body shots. Pain seems to linger a lot longer from body shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

i agree with gitb1 100 percent, accurate body shots inflict a lot of pain. they may look under utilised in mma, but remember not everyone in mma is a striker and u need to be a good striker to land effective, accurate body shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Do liver shots/kicks count?
    Sweet jesus theyre horrible :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

thatll be the vagus nerve, terrible terrible pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Do liver shots/kicks count?
    Sweet jesus theyre horrible :(

What is the ruling on liver shots? Are they legal under all classes because they can really do some serious damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

digme wrote: »
    Just wondering lads how important do you feel body punches are in mma?
    I don't see much fights being ended this way or fighters employing this as a weapon much.

True very few fights are ended with body shots.
    But not every strike in MMA is suppose to be a knock out. Leg kicks don't end many fights, but that win plenty of fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Mellor wrote: »
    True very few fights are ended with body shots.
    But not every strike in MMA is suppose to be a knock out. Leg kicks don't end many fights, but that win plenty of fights
    not according to most mma judges (shogun vs macheda 1)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I know you said body punches but Dennis Siver has won 2 fights with a body kick in the last while.

As a more recent case Nam Pham used a lot of body uppercuts during the ultimare fighter. Very effective.

• Advertisement

not according to most mma judges (shogun vs macheda 1)

No, not according to people like Cecil Peeples. I believe he actually said as much after the fight. But if you are suggesting that their opinion is related on the actual effectiveness of leg kicks then you frankly don't know very much about leg kicks or MMA in general.
    Maybe you were just making an observtion (or a joke) on thier opinion and you don't agree. But if you actually think that I'd be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No, not according to people like Cecil Peeples. I believe he actually said as much after the fight. But if you are suggesting that their opinion is related on the actual effectiveness of leg kicks then you frankly don't know very much about leg kicks or MMA in general.
    Maybe you were just making an observtion (or a joke) on thier opinion and you don't agree. But if you actually think that I'd be worried.

Ehhhh you realise Raze actually is a fighter?

Ehhhh you realise Raze actually is a fighter?
    lol, Yeah I do, which is why I didn't just say;
    "you know nothing" but said "if you actually think that"

Because i'm quite sure that he doesn't agree with the judges and was just pointing something out. But maybe he does, in which case i'd be worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I was making an observation on their stupidity, I believe that he said that leg kicks don't finish fights which is a joke. Leg kicks are grand for about 2 in the same spot, after that you fecking start to notice them.

Exactly, knew it wasn't your opinion. I'll try dig up his quote, its pretty lol
    Anyone who has gotten a few, or hell even watch a fight where they are utilized should know their usefulness.

Off the top of my head, Forrect v Rampage for the LHW title. Poor Quinton would barely walk in the second

Emm I will give 50 euro to anyone who can take a leg kick from Pat Barry and walk the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Poor ol Gary Goodridge has taken more than his fair share of beatings over the years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

From watching alot of mma i have the feeling that body shots for the first round is a nice tactic and then work on ground game or knockout for the last 2 rounds.Just got the impression that was a fairly safe tactic.
    If you can wind them out with shots or tire the legs/arms with kicks it might be alot easier to finish later on with submission or knockout i would imagine.
    But then thats just my imagination lol
    I dont know from personal experience, a few striaghts down the middle(busted nose) might be just as effective for disturbing their breathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Are liver punches ala Bas Rutten still allowed in MMA?

Other than Bas, I don't recall any other MMA fighter using them. I'm wondering if it's just that they're very difficult to execute properly or if they are just too dangerous. Bas had Jason DeLucia doubled up in pain after a vicious liver shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Are liver punches ala Bas Rutten still allowed in MMA?

Only if you shout "DANG-GA-DA-DANG!" when your throwing them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

FWIW - my opinion is , the knee to the body has replaced the body punch, a lot faster, you give away a lot less when throwing it and it's a hell of a lot more effective.

FWIW - my opinion is , the knee to the body has replaced the body punch, a lot faster, you give away a lot less when throwing it and it's a hell of a lot more effective.
    I agree.
    body shots: Long range are kicks, mid range punches and close/clinch range knees

Purposely targeting the body mid range is too risky, leaving yourself open to big counters. It's fine for a counter but if you decide to work the body you are better off clinching, pressing the cage or doing it on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Quality technical strikers will target the body, both to hurt and also bring the hands down for head shots.

Good examples are Sam stout, Hominick and too a lesser extent Horodecki. These guys throw them because they are not clean 1 punch hitters and need to vary their attacks.

It is rare to find a power puncher that maintains their form and technique as they are hunting for that 1 headshot. Bas was an exception to this. Thiago Alves is also an exception although he punctuates his combinations with leg kicks rather than body shots but the logic still applies.

Basically not enough quality strikers in MMA.

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

I agree.
    body shots: Long range are kicks, mid range punches and close/clinch range knees

Purposely targeting the body mid range is too risky, leaving yourself open to big counters. It's fine for a counter but if you decide to work the body you are better off clinching, pressing the cage or doing it on the ground.

Would see that a bit differently Mellor. In my opinion it depends on the way you target the body. Long range kicks to the body are a very quick way to find yourself on your back. Mid range body shots with no setup = Liddell v Rampage 2 but with a correct setup can be extremely effective. Close range knees are also a quick way to the mat unless your working off a very strong under/over game and can jack up your underhook.

My 2 cents

Oisin

Advertisement