Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or Go?

Options
  • 05-12-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I took my user name off for this for hope of not getting recognised.

I am well aware that people have it tougher than me during today's Irish economy but I still hope that some users out there can give me some advice.

I am strongly thinkin of emmigrating to New Zealand hoping to get a better life for myself away from here. However, I am in a dilemma as I am in a very good job and I really dont know what is the best move for me. I, up until recently, have loved my job and its a good job in today's climate but I dread going in there of late for many reasons that I cannot go into here. I am not happy and it feels like my life is going nowhere and slipping by without having done anything to show for it. I work long hours because of the cutbacks and the work is always growing to fill the shoes of people leaving, pay has been drastically cut and the work is getting harder and more stressful because of it. I know I shouldnt really complain because of all the people being in worse shoes than me....but Im deeply unhappy here.

I work long hours as I say, I come home (im in mid twenties and cannot afford to move out of home) where it just me and basically my mother. I have no quality of life, and am exhausted all the time. My relationship is becoming strained with her and some friends.

So recently I have felt very strongly about emmigrating. From some friends that have encouraged me to go, did point out that I am in a good place to do this, I have no bills persay, I live at home, Im in mid twenties, single and have no responsibilities. And that is all very well and true....

However my trouble is that I am scared to make the final committment and go. If I tell my bosses that I want a career break, there is the possiblity that I wont get my job back, I havent really lived away from home before and am afraid that I will not be happy there either. I suppose it comes down to the question, is it a good step or not.

Im not sure if I have explained my problem very well or if anyone could help, but if anyone can shed some light, or even redirect me to the right forum incase I posted this in the wrong place, I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am totally confused, stay and stick it out and try and be happy....or go, not know the big world take the risk with my job and either have made the right choice and enjoy or come home crashed and burned.

Please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you don't go, you'll be forever wondering if you should have.

You still qualify for the WHV, but won't soon. Go, and give it a try. Stick it out until the jobs situation here gets better. Then you'll be able to make a decision about where to go next.

(and besides, there's someone else here who'll be very glad to get your job!)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Will you be travelling alone or have you friends that can go with you, if you are alone I would imagine it would be more difficult on a personal level. All you can do in work is ask, from my own experiences companies currently appear to be willing to give career breaks because it would get an employee off the wage books during a difficult time and they would not have to pay a redundancy, when you come back (hopefully when times are better here) they will have an employee that does not require training and will be able to immediately start working as you would have the experience to do so.

As JustMary said you will probably regret it if you don't do it, living out of home should be ok as I'm sure you are independent enough at this stage, you should try and save money before you go and also try and have a job ready when you get there.

Good luck with it

Advertisement