Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Player In The World

• 05-12-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

We seem to have alot of discussion about whom is the better player so perhaps we could settle it.... perhaps.

Obviously every player can't be included so don't shoot the messenger!

Who Is The Best Player In The World? 173 votes

Lionel Messi
    0%
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    60%
    FenixPiEHelixT-b0n3Unearthlyevad_lhorgmayordenisziggythe1andonly1applehunterChardee MacDennisJazzyMr.Nice GuycashbackvestanpanceBogwhatawasterziedthAuversTonyD79 105 votes
    Gonzalo Higuain
    6%
    PHBCorkManelgriffJames FordeBrowney7Liam OWallyGUFCv3ttelCSFPauletaCoalBucketDivorce Referendum 12 votes
    Kaka
    0%
    Karim Benzema
    0%
    Xavi
    0%
    Andres Iniesta
    9%
    Chucky the treegimmickVysejdivisionqwertplaywertdfx-KenHyflahavaj1mcampo1Glico ManJax Teller3hn2givr7mx1scNamlubpeabutlerPinturicchioThe Floyd p 16 votes
    David Villa
    2%
    NozebleedCantGetNoSleepDegagWolf ClubMr. Rager 5 votes
    Wayne Rooney
    0%
    Dozen Wicked Words 1 vote
    Steven Gerrard
    1%
    Sligoredmle1324reverenddave 3 votes
    Didier Drogba
    0%
    DaNiEl1994 1 vote
    Nani
    0%
    Cesc Fabregas
    4%
    Peyton Manningxw2lj9uspm1eyhjaykay74CR 7maxxieJimmy IovineLe Kingtdv123 8 votes
    Fernando Torres
    3%
    TristramPierce_1991roryqMax Power1Col200sxx PyRo 6 votes
    Rafael Van Der Vaart
    1%
    [Deleted User]x43r0niallo27 3 votes
    Gareth Bale
    0%
    Wesley Sneijder
    2%
    Koldamacachishano_88Kells...Big Pussy Bonpensiero 5 votes
    Samuel Eto'o
    0%
    SligoBrewer 1 vote
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    0%
    Gianluigi Buffon
    0%
    Seaneh 1 vote
    Nemanja Vidic
    0%
    efb 1 vote
    Frank Lampard
    1%
    JordonvitoNemanja91Wolfe Tone 3 votes
    Carlos Tevez
    0%
    ItsAWindUp 1 vote
    Mesut Ozil
    0%
    Iago 1 vote
    Other (Please State)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Messi

//thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Assuming Milan win the league everyones favourite player Zlatan wins his 6th league in a row, doesnt that make him the greatest player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Cristiano Ronaldo
    I voted messi I was going to vote for Bale but it isn't fair to put him on the same list with these average players so I discounted him

/gets coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Cristiano Ronaldo
    I chose Messi. However, if I was a manager and you asked me to take a player of my choosing, I would pick Ronaldo. Reasons being that I dont think there is a whole lot between them and Ronaldo is not half as injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cristiano Ronaldo
    1. messi
    2. xavi
    3. iniesta

the rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Andres Iniesta
    Xavi, but Messi, Iniesta and Ronaldo are very close. Even though I chose Xavi, Messi will go on to be one of, if not the best player(s) of all time. Even though I don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wesley Sneijder
    Gareth Bale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Cesc Fabregas
    Nani is the clear winner everyone else is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Nani has 2 votes, what a joke :rolleyes:

Messi is the best right now and is possibly the greatest ever, it hurts me to say what about someone who is only 23 but he really is already up there with the greatest who have ever played the game. Xavi and Ronaldo not too far behind either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cristiano Ronaldo
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Xavi, but Messi, Iniesta and Ronaldo are very close. Even though I chose Xavi, Messi will go on to be one of, if not the best player(s) of all time. Even though I don't like him.

Baz do you mind me asking why?

I am a Messi fan obviously but i'd just like to know why you don't like him? People not liking Ronaldo i understand but not liking Messi is beyond me. What is it you don't like? Baz again i'm not picking on you're post i'd jsut like to know why you don't like him. IMO i can't understand how people don't like someone who plays the game as brilliantly as he does.

• Advertisement

Andres Iniesta
    MOG7 wrote: »
    Baz do you mind me asking why?

I am a Messi fan obviously but i'd just like to know why you don't like him? People not liking Ronaldo i understand but not liking Messi is beyond me. What is it you don't like? Baz again i'm not picking on you're post i'd jsut like to know why you don't like him. IMO i can't understand how people don't like someone who plays the game as brilliantly as he does.

I honestly can't explain it, tbh.:pac:
    No doubt he's an excellent player, but I dunno I think it's cause the bad side of him is overlooked simply because of that. If anyone else had have gone down like he did when Carvalho 'armed'(?) him they would have been ridiculed, but he was nearly given sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Xavi's comments on Messi are worth a mention:
    FIFA.com: Xavi, can you picture yourself winning the FIFA Ballon d’Or?
    Xavi: I’ll repeat what I’ve been telling everybody: I hope that a Spanish player wins it and if not, I hope it goes to my friend Leo Messi. He’s undisputably the best player in the world, and he’s going to win the Ballon d’Or several more times. But in World Cup years the tournament is a big factor, and Andres [Iniesta] and I won it, while La Albiceleste didn’t hit the heights expected of them.

Just how good is Messi?
    A player like him only comes around once every 50 years. The only reason the rest of us have any chance of winning this year is because the World Cup didn’t turn out too well for Argentina, because if it had, then it (the FIFA Ballon d’Or) would be no contest. In my view, Leo is now even better than [Diego] Maradona was. He’s going to be at the very top for many years to come, there’s nobody like him. He loves taking responsibility, he never hides away. And I’ve known him since he was a kid, I’ve watched him develop and I can say that he’s tremendously professional and has good people around him. He’s got all the ingredients for success.

I agree with him on the 50 years point. Some great players come along once in a generation. Others come along once in a lifetime. I think Messi is the latter. Much in the same way I feel sadness at not getting to see Maradona in his prime, I'm sure fans in the future will feel the same way about Messi. He just needs the World Cup win to cement it imo. The best player in the world, and of this century, is Lionel Messi and I don't think it's remotely close any more. The scary thing is I don't think he has reached the peak of his powers yet and I feel he has even more to give. Arguably Maradona was at his peak when he was 26 years old ('86). Messi is still only 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Cristiano Ronaldo
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Gonzalo Higuain
    I agree with him on the 50 years point. Some great players come along once in a generation. Others come along once in a lifetime. I think Messi is the latter. Much in the same way I feel sadness at not getting to see Maradona in his prime, I'm sure fans in the future will feel the same way about Messi. He just needs the World Cup win to cement it imo. The best player in the world, and of this century, is Lionel Messi and I don't think it's remotely close any more. The scary thing is I don't think he has reached the peak of his powers yet and I feel he has even more to give. Arguably Maradona was at his peak when he was 26 years old ('86). Messi is still only 23.

I'm not only referring to yourself, but who do people think Messi is once in a lifetime, etc. Cristiano Ronaldo became the fastest every player in Madrid history to get 50 goals, in 53 games. Alfredo Di Stefano took 55 and Ferenc Puskas 56. That is unbelievable.

BTW Puskas got 243 goals in 264 games in Spain. 617 goals in 622 games in total which included 374 in 357 in Hungary. Also the only player to get a hat-trick in 2 European Cup Finals.

It is amazing how he isn't up with Pele and Maradona in public consciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nemanja Vidic
    Where's Paul (He never said he could tackle) Scholes? The best player ever...

Andres Iniesta
    efb wrote: »

Where's the hilarious post referencing to Paul Scholes?
    Oh, it's on the first page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nemanja Vidic
    Yeah, he should be mentioned in every post, on every page!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Well I've seen Maradona in his prime and I've seen Messi in his career so far. Maradona is still the undiputed greatest of all time imo. Messi is up there already but he has to do it for a few more years. There is also the fact that he is doing it in a side that contains Xavi, Iniesta and then Eto'o/Ibra/Villa. While he is undoubtedly a magnificent footballer its a lot easier to look good with those players around you than it was for Maradona when he played for Napoli and Argentina.

Messi is the best player in the world right now for me followed by Xavi and Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Gonzalo Higuain
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I've seen Maradona in his prime and I've seen Messi in his career so far. Maradona is still the undiputed greatest of all time imo. Messi is up there already but he has to do it for a few more years. There is also the fact that he is doing it in a side that contains Xavi, Iniesta and then Eto'o/Ibra/Villa. While he is undoubtedly a magnificent footballer its a lot easier to look good with those players around you than it was for Maradona when he played for Napoli and Argentina.

Messi is the best player in the world right now for me followed by Xavi and Ronaldo.

Plus Messi didn't have a great world cup. I know Ronaldo didn't, i'm just comparing Messi to Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

CorkMan wrote: »
    Plus Messi didn't have a great world cup. I know Ronaldo didn't, i'm just comparing Messi to Maradona.

Messi had a good world cup,its just Argentina didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Nani has more votes than Ronaldo?? ...Aaand im done here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Nani lol. Messi by a distance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Na Na Na...

... nah, but seriously. This one is pretty clear cut at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wesley Sneijder
    Bale.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Cesc Fabregas
    Nani by some distance tbh.

Who is this Wesley Schneider fellow?

Poor thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Thanks for the laugh this morning Nani voters, just what I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Andres Iniesta
    No John O' Shea option = Thread Fail tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Are the Premiership players just added as a token gesture? Because nobody in the EPL comes even close to the top five to seven players from La Liga.

Messi is the best in the world in my eyes, but the likes of Ronaldo, Xavi, and Iniesta all come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Are the Premiership players just added as a token gesture? Because nobody in the EPL comes even close to the top five to seven players from La Liga.

Yawn. There's Serie A players in that list too, why not have a pop at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ronaldo is not half as injury prone.

Messi hasn't had an injury that has kept it out of action for more than 10 days in about 3.5 seasons mate. Nice try though.

Why not just start a Serie A XI vs La Liga XI vs EPL XI? :p hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Cristiano Ronaldo
    What is the point in these stupid threads with polls

Seems to be one appearing every day, they are pointless! My dog even knows that messi is the best player in the world, and why is under god is vidic / bale / nani ect even to be considered in the poll...

Pointless thread is pointless!!!! :confused:

Edit: and someone voted for rooney LMFAO!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Cristiano Ronaldo
    CorkMan wrote: »
    It is amazing how he isn't up with Pele and Maradona in public consciousness.
    My guess would be because Pelé and Maradona are seen as having led their sides to WC glory. In Pelé's case, twice. Also, they were both very public figures, they were willing to put there face out there. I don't know if this was or wasn't the case with Puskas. Pelé and Maradona were around when the WC was being shown on telly a lot more than 1954 or 1962.

Puskas only played in two WC's. The first, he led Hungary to the final but they lost. The second, he played for Spain who went out in the group stage.

Puskas also spent his entire club career playing in two isolated countries: Hungary and Spain. I imagine he'd be held in very high regard in both those countries.

The same argument could be made for Di Stefano. He is considered by many to be the best player Real ever had but is never mentioned in these "best ever" threads. With Di Stefano, he never played at a single WC so that ccould also have something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Andres Iniesta

Because Ibra is better than any player in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ok by no means is he the best player in the World but on current form Nasri is an awful lot better than many on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Because Ibra is better than any player in England.

The guy is a luxury cost Barcelona the European cup last season if they had still got Etho or had signed Villa a season earlier all that defending Inter did would have been in vain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cristiano Ronaldo

Because the best players from Serie A on that list are head and shoulders above the listed Premiership players as well.

Having the likes of Rooney, Gerrard etc on a Best Player in the world thread is a joke. They don't come close to that standard other than for the likes of Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp and the rest of the Sky exaggerate team and the dullards that buy into the crap they spout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Who the well voted for Zlatan Ibrahimovic :eek:

must be a joke:), good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Cristiano Ronaldo
    efb wrote: »

The other thread is a discussion about Scholes in his prime vs Xavi. Noone is saying he's the best in the world nowadays. Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rafael Cretaro

Andres Iniesta
    M5 wrote: »
    Who the well voted for Zlatan Ibrahimovic :eek:

must be a joke:), good one!

4 people voted for Nani and someone even voted for Rooney. Now that is a joke.

• Advertisement

Cristiano Ronaldo
    4 people voted for Nani and someone even voted for Rooney. Now that is a joke.
    People were jizzing their pants about Rooney last season. Why is it a joke to vote him as the best player in the world only eight months later?

Andres Iniesta
    People were jizzing their pants about Rooney last season. Why is it a joke to vote him as the best player in the world only eight months later?

He wasn't the best player in the world 8 months ago, he definitely isn't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

David Villa
    and why is under god is vidic / bale / nani ect even to be considered in the poll...

Well, some people admire the defensive side of the game more than the attacking side, and seeing how Vidic is among the worlds best defenders he merits being up there IMO. People were calling Gareth Bale the best player in the world after his 2 performances against Inter. And why not have Nani there? He's been arguebly Uniteds best player this year. Anyway, sorry it upset you so much.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Other:
    Mario Balotelli

It will be common knowledge in about 2 years.

Andres Iniesta
    Walter Samuel > Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Wheres glenn loovens ffs?:D

Cristiano Ronaldo
    He wasn't the best player in the world 8 months ago, he definitely isn't now.
    I agree. I'm just making the point that a lot of the selections in the poll are based on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wesley Sneijder
    Gareth Bale can cure diseases with his left foot. Messi can only score goals with his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I chose Messi. However, if I was a manager and you asked me to take a player of my choosing, I would pick Ronaldo. Reasons being that I dont think there is a whole lot between them and Ronaldo is not half as injury prone.

did you watch the match between Barce and Real last week?
    and Messi's not at all injury prone,if he's more injury prone than Ronaldo you're really splipping hairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Samir Nasri

• Advertisement
Advertisement