Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pets in theology

• 05-12-2010 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

As I write this I'm in a hotel room in Switzerland, and the one I love is sleeping outdoors in Taiwan. I am really upset about this. My dog is 4 months old. She's good for nothing except loyalty, companionship and fun. She has always slept in my bedroom, but she will be in the care of someone else for a few weeks while I'm away. Anyway, I visited some beautiful churches here today, and said some prayers and lot some candles for someone to watch over her and help her not to be scared, lonely or confused and for her to not forget me.

So I've just been thinking about Christian theology and animals. Has much been said on the subject of pets? I know people always say their dog is the cutest dog in the world, but believe me, in my case it's actually true. For example, if I live forever in heaven, I want her with me. If when I get to the gates of heaven and PDN and Fanny Cradock tell me they put a 'lock' on my dog and didn't allow her to enter, I swear to God I will descend into the world of the damned to find her, much like Robin Williams in that movie, only, you know, better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Animals dont have souls so nope, no heaven for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a pet owner myself, I'd be fairly sympathetic to the OP's concern.
    The issue is deal with in respect to the Church's teaching in http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/pets_in_heaven.htm
    Whilst the article concludes that due to doctrine human's immortal soul, heaven would not have pets - however, my own personal reckoning is that St. Francis, the patron of pets, would seem forlorn without animals in heaven as he called them our "brothers and sisters".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

marty1985 wrote: »
    So I've just been thinking about Christian theology and animals. Has much been said on the subject of pets?

I'm not so sure that moderation duties are transferable beyond this world :pac:

Oddly enough, I was thinking of my dog only today. I think your question is one that remains very much open to debate. Do animals have souls? Do they have spirits? Is there a difference between the two? I'm not aware of any definitive answers to these questions. Therefore, I suspect that exposure to pets might influence personal opinions.

My hope would be that if God went to the bother of creating something, that something (be it dog or whatever) would persist (probably the wrong word) after death in some form or other. This might lead us into difficult questions about the fate of pathogens and whatnot. But, nevertheless, it remains my hope that the good things in life are good in and of themselves and will continue into the next life.

BTW, I don't think that the Christian hope rests in living forever in heaven. Such a thing sounds terribly dull or worse. But that's another conversation...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

krudler wrote: »

Slow down there, mister. God created both man and animals, and you may not get into heaven because all of us are fallen beings, and sin. My beautiful dog (pics upon request) never sinned, never chose wrong over right. Animals are not fallen beings. Scriptures don't address the issue, so you shouldn't be so sure.

But I agree with Fanny and Manach that pet lovers will be more open to the idea.

What Krudler meant to say was "I'm an atheist an I don't believe in souls or heaven" but instead he opted for something a that would stir up a little more trouble. I'd ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What Krudler meant to say was "I'm an atheist an I don't believe in souls or heaven" but instead he opted for something a that would stir up a little more trouble. I'd ignore him.

It's bad enough when atheists feel that they need to answer questions on behalf of Christians. It's worse when their answers are wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that any animals were evicted from Eden other than the serpent. To all intents and purposes the Garden still exists but is barred from our view and guarded by an Archangel lest we try to get back and and find the Tree of Life.

Nor do we have much idea of what Heaven is like so it is entirely possible that there are pets there - dogs, horses, cats, God knows what.
    Certainly from Apocalypse\Revelation we know that there are animals there - lion like, calf like, eagle like and horses so there would appear to be no grounds for supposing a Heaven without animals.

PDN wrote: »
    It's bad enough when atheists feel that they need to answer questions on behalf of Christians. It's worse when their answers are wrong.

Isnt having a soul what supposedly separates us from the animals?

so do you believe a dog has a soul? what about an ant? or a slug?

Isnt having a soul what supposedly separates us from the animals?
    No. A soul (nephesh in Hebrew) simply refers to a living creature.
    so do you believe a dog has a soul? what about an ant? or a slug?
    This is going to get very boring if you keep asking the same question about every creature known to man.

This is going to get very boring if you keep asking the same question about every creature known to man.

Its a yes or no question, do you believe an animal has a soul?

• Advertisement

Its a yes or no question, do you believe an animal has a soul?

Yes, I do. Animals are living creatures and, as such, possess some sort of a will and 'mind'.

Now, in future, please bear in mind that is it is unhelpful and misleading when atheists try to answer questions in this forum that are being asked of Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 H1ppy

Atheist here. Am I allowed into this discussion?

H1ppy wrote: »
    Atheist here. Am I allowed into this discussion?

Absolutely, so long as you don't pretend to answer on behalf of Christians and getting it spectacularly wrong. :)

As long as you stick by the charter - which is encompassed concisely by Wheaton's Law.

OK, charter read and agreed to. Wheatons Law likewise. :)

To start out with, my lack of faith in an immortal soul or the supernatural stems in no small degree from my acceptance of the theory of evolution as scientific fact demonstrated through massive amounts of overwhelmingly convincing evidence. It is from this starting point that the reasoning follows: germs and things don't have souls, ants don't have souls, mice don't have souls, cats and dogs don't have souls, monkey's don't have souls, species of African Ape don't have souls. Humans are a species of African Ape. Humans don't have souls. Needless to say, very early on I relinquished the idea of a young earth as espoused in Genisis in favour of an old one, and the rest seemed to follow quite naturally.

The whole idea of evolution is that complexity follows from simplicity. It's a powerful argument, that I cannot refute for my own part, that a creator would be extremely complex, and must be explained by means of a more simple origin. That is, in a nutshell, why I don't believe in God. Obviously it's way more complicated than that and involves a whole lifetime of reflection, contemplation, reading, and repeating.

This is not meant outright to be an attack or what-have-you against anyone's faith. It would be dishonest of me to try to give the impression that I wouldn't consider myself to be doing anyone a favour in divesting them of their faith, but that's not what this is directly, I'm just trying to illustrate my own point of view honestly. It's inevitable that it may seem like an attack on faith or the idea of faith if it is completely honest.

As I hope I have illustrated, it's quite a neat little logical bundle to be of the 'belief', although technically, like all honest atheists I think, belief is the wrong word, and it's really just the possibility held to be most probable, that if all living organisms lack a soul, from microbe to man, then there is no confusion over who gets into heaven and who doesn't. Believe it or not, as a child I used to experience existential worry over the seperation I would have to endure from my beloved pets, whom, like the OP, I knew to be without sin and as deserving of everlasting happiness as any person I knew. I no longer suffer from this worry, but in it's place I have to learn to accept the notion that all things end, they, as I, and all that I will ever know and love. There is still, of course, the existential worry over the reality of oblivion, but at least notions of cosmic injustice, a lack of mercy for beloved pets, of fretting over where to draw the line of belief in souls between one species and the next, are done away with, and only the ultimate question of finding peace with the notion of real mortality remains.

To start out with, my lack of faith in an immortal soul or the supernatural stems in no small degree from my acceptance of the theory of evolution as scientific fact demonstrated through massive amounts of overwhelmingly convincing evidence.

What has evolution got to do with anything? I accept there are things called souls (and perhaps we should discuss the difference between a soul and a spirit). I also accept evolution. I'm hardly the only Christian to hold this position.

The whole idea of evolution is that complexity follows from simplicity. It's a powerful argument, that I cannot refute for my own part, that a creator would be extremely complex, and must be explained by means of a more simple origin. That is, in a nutshell, why I don't believe in God.

I'm not sure it is correct to say that complexity follows from simplicity. It is certainly not a necessity. If I use my imagination to create a character in a story is that not a case of complexity producing simplicity? My mind is greater than that which I imagined.

In the case of God, the orthodox understanding is that there is no regress to something before God. In other words, once can't go back further than God because God is uncreated. Stating otherwise means that we aren't talking about the same thing and you might be better off talking to a theist of a different variety.

As for the dogmatic assertion that a creator must be more complex than it's creation, well, I don't see why we should believe that this is necessarily true. I can at lest imagine a machine that give rise to a more complex machine. Or parents who produce progeny that are demonstrably superior in all manner of areas.

Besides all this, Thomas Aquinas suggested that God is not complex but simple. If one considers this to be true, or even just logically consistent, I'm unsure what this does to your objections to Christianity.

But all this is rather off topic, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

To start out with, my lack of faith in an immortal soul or the supernatural stems in no small degree from my acceptance of the theory of evolution as scientific fact demonstrated through massive amounts of overwhelmingly convincing evidence. It is from this starting point that the reasoning follows: germs and things don't have souls, ants don't have souls, mice don't have souls, cats and dogs don't have souls, monkey's don't have souls, species of African Ape don't have souls. Humans are a species of African Ape. Humans don't have souls. Needless to say, very early on I relinquished the idea of a young earth as espoused in Genisis in favour of an old one, and the rest seemed to follow quite naturally.

The whole idea of evolution is that complexity follows from simplicity. It's a powerful argument, that I cannot refute for my own part, that a creator would be extremely complex, and must be explained by means of a more simple origin. That is, in a nutshell, why I don't believe in God. Obviously it's way more complicated than that and involves a whole lifetime of reflection, contemplation, reading, and repeating.

This is not meant outright to be an attack or what-have-you against anyone's faith. It would be dishonest of me to try to give the impression that I wouldn't consider myself to be doing anyone a favour in divesting them of their faith, but that's not what this is directly, I'm just trying to illustrate my own point of view honestly. It's inevitable that it may seem like an attack on faith or the idea of faith if it is completely honest.

As I hope I have illustrated, it's quite a neat little logical bundle to be of the 'belief', although technically, like all honest atheists I think, belief is the wrong word, and it's really just the possibility held to be most probable, that if all living organisms lack a soul, from microbe to man, then there is no confusion over who gets into heaven and who doesn't. Believe it or not, as a child I used to experience existential worry over the seperation I would have to endure from my beloved pets, whom, like the OP, I knew to be without sin and as deserving of everlasting happiness as any person I knew. I no longer suffer from this worry, but in it's place I have to learn to accept the notion that all things end, they, as I, and all that I will ever know and love. There is still, of course, the existential worry over the reality of oblivion, but at least notions of cosmic injustice, a lack of mercy for beloved pets, of fretting over where to draw the line of belief in souls between one species and the next, are done away with, and only the ultimate question of finding peace with the notion of real mortality remains.

Maybe you don't understand what a soul is in Christian theology? A soul is simply that which sets animals apart from vegetables. It refers to the mind and emotions and will of a creature. As the owner of a dog (a rather stupid and neurotic border collie) I am pretty sure that he has a mind and a will - and his moods strongly suggest he has emotions. And, I'm pretty sure, a belief in evolution should not stop anyone from believing that we possess a mind, will and emotions - a soul.

That which we believe is unique to man is the spirit, the part of us that was created to share communion with God.

Also, it might be worth pointing out that historical Christianity does not believe in the popular notion (derived more from popular folk religion than from the Bible) of heaven as some sort of otherworldly place where disembodied spirits float around for all eternity.

The historical Christian teaching is that we will be resurrected in new bodies, that there will be a new heaven and a new earth, and that we will live on into eternity in a bodily reality in God's presence. If animals are going to be present in this experience (and I don't think the Bible tells us one way or another whether they will or not) then it would not be necessary for them to have a spirit.

So it would be honest of you to consider yourself to be doing us a favour by divesting us of our faith indirectly?

Or have I parsed that incorrectly? Maybe you meant something different.

Oh boy, where to start?! :o

I certainly don't want to end up trolling unintentionally, even though I disagree with everything so far posited in response to my previous post.

And I didn't really want to come in here and start debating theology, it's just that the pet thing struck a chord. I had simply hoped to provide the OP with another perspective on the separation scenario they introduced.

Just to summarise really quickly, and probably leave out a lot of important stuff, I think the idea of animals having souls in Christian theology is a fairly modern phenomenon, and quite a departure from traditional teachings and interpretations of doctrine.

Observe PDN's definition of a soul:

"Maybe you don't understand what a soul is in Christian theology? A soul is simply that which sets animals apart from vegetables."

I guess I understand a soul in terms of Christian theology as much as any lay Christian, being that I was one for 12-16 years (that's leaving out the first 4 years of life during which I wouldn't really have had the capacity to consider things reflectively, and providing for a gradual fading out of faith from my world-view over the ages of 16-20). And my understanding of that concept, fashioned as it was from an entire education in the Church sponsored national curriculum, which is to say religion class and some other classes delivered by brothers and priests, and weekly attendance at mass, and discussions at home with parents and family members of a Christian persuasion also, probably not unlike most Christians upbringings within the religion, and so what I would consider to be not unwell informed, was that humans had them, and plants and animals didn't, and that they amounted to more than the sum of the electrical activity of neurons in a brain, the firing patterns of which resulted in a mind, or 'soul'. I presume this is what's meant by the above statement that "A soul is simply that which sets animals apart from vegetables." Is that a statement all other persons in here concur with, or is there disagreement as to what actually constitutes the definition of a soul? Because I would imagine that that's somewhat important in determining if animals have them.

I would agree that if the mind, as defined above, is the soul, then yes, animals have them and that includes humans, but I wouldn't call that an immortal soul, having no evidence that there is a continuation of this pattern in any recognisable form after the expiration of the medium - brain death. I would just say that in that case soul is just another name for mind, which does not continue to exist after death.

Festus:

I think you are indeed reading that somewhat incorrectly. I would consider it not a bad thing to talk someone out of their faith, directly or indirectly, if they had the constitution to deal with life without it. It would be dishonest to try to give the impression that I would consider it a bad thing to have done that, even if my intention in a given conversation was to do something other than that. I realise that's still a bit convoluted.

Going back to PDN:

There seems to be a lot of complicated figuring in whether animals have a soul but no spirit, both, neither, what humans have in comparison to that, what you need to get into heaven, what heaven is, where and when you get there, what form you take, what's there as well as humans, etc. What's the OP's view on this? Is it in concordance?

If you'll forgive me, all of these considerations and definitions seem to be rather arbitrary. There seem to be a lot of labels going around without clear definitions, making discussion difficult.

Your comments about historical interpretations versus popular ones are interesting. To me they illustrate a divergence that seems to have no clear criteria on either side for deciding which is true, if either. If the popular interpretation is that spirits float around in heaven, or on white clouds in robes strumming harps like the comic book illustrations, what's to indicate this is incorrect other than a differing interpretation of scripture. It sounds like just different phrases in the Bible being taken literally or metaphorically on different sides, but no clear indicator of which is the correct decision on what's literal and what's metaphorical. And if faith is the final arbiter, who's faith is to be trusted? Say I believed that (which I don't of course), and you believed the idea of new bodies, eternal physical existence etc, and we're at loggerheads over it. Can you see that there is no way to demonstrate one theory's supremacy over the other? And to bring it back to the topic, my own view is that this inability to decide or agree on definitions and criteria etc presents problems in addressing the OP's original concerns.

Plowman:

I know what you're saying, not too many fundie's round these parts. But I did indicate that that was only skimming the surface, and that it was considerations of such things as evolution over a lifetime that has resulted in my held views. I was just trying to add some colour to the character of my position. And like all atheists, my belief is a belief insofar as a consideration of a probability to be by far the most likely of all possibilities whose truth value is ultimately unknowable can be considered to be a belief. Calling it a belief just makes it easier to write more sentences about it in less time, but it should be read as shorthand for the above.

Considerations of evolution and faith might be tangential in this discussion but I think are quite relevant, since it resonates with the idea of whether animals have a soul, which leads us to consider which animals do and which don't - do microbes, bacteria? Will there be germs in heaven? If so, why? What value to their existence. Can they even appreciate their own existence with whatever they have that corresponds to a mind in us? Is a calculator more 'conscious' than a bacterium? Should it have a soul and live in heaven? (I'm not trying to be facetious here, sorry if it sounds that way.) No need to answer any of these directly, they're just to illustrate.

And I'm sure some Christians will say animals don't have souls, but believe in evolution, so how to reconcile the introduction of the soul into the human species when there is no sharp line between our species and those that came before, for no mother ever gives birth to a creature of another species; evolution happens slowly and gradually over great swathes of time, and only after (usually) thousands of generations could a new species that would be unable to breed with its forbears (were they to live at the same time) be said to exist. But at no time was there a generation that was a different species and could not interbreed with its parent’s generation. Ring species illustrate this point particularly well.

So when I think of things like this, and souls and animals, I wonder, would there be Neanderthals in Heaven? Homo erectus spirits? Not necessarily direct ancestors of ours I'm aware, but illustrative of the concept under consideration. Christians who believe in evolution, but not that animals have souls, spirits, what-have-you, basically an immortal preservation of individual identity by any other name, would presumably have to reconcile this issue of where and when the soul entered into the human line. Naturally I don't have to reconcile this issue personally, because my own considered position is that it never did.

Anyway, that's why evolution :)

Fanny:

When I say complexity necessarily follows simplicity, I mean it in a way that is best understood in terms of building, or building blocks. To make a complicated castle, it usually helps, indeed is quite necessary, to begin simply by laying one block of stone on the ground, followed by another, and another, in steps simple relative to the complexity of the final whole, rather than try to lay all blocks simultaneously and arrive at the complex final whole in one step.

Biological evolution follows this pattern elegantly, starting from simple origins of replicating molecules with organisms getting progressively more complex with subsequent generations, the reason being mutations conferring advantageous variations from the original being selected for by survival rates and those advantageous characteristics being propagated to future generations, with occasional further advantageous mutations being added and increasing the complexity of the resulting organisms as time goes by. Naturally disadvantageous mutations also happen and are selected against by the same mechanism so do not propagate. Just to diverge a little I feel compelled to point out the beautiful elegance of this mechanism, which operates entirely unguided and yet results in the appearance of exquisitely designed organisms of inestimable complexity, like your good selves and I.

"In the case of God, the orthodox understanding is that there is no regress to something before God. In other words, once can't go back further than God because God is uncreated."

I must risk being rude here and simply point out that I hold the orthodox understanding to be wholly wrong. To say that there is 'nothing' before God, and that he exists outside of our normal causal conversational rules, is to sabotage the discussion. This is why I've gone through the whole rigmarole of saying why and how complexity follows simplicity, not verse-vica, and asserting that a creator must be more complex than its creation (which I'll come back to). Thinking this way means I naturally conclude that if God created the universe, he must have been even more complex than it, and must therefore have an explainable origin in simplicity. I simply don't think any other way. To say 'God did it' doesn't answer anything for me or other atheists, as I'm sure you're aware, it just raises further questions, and pushes the question back to, essentially, 'well, what did God?' That's just how people like me think.

"As for the dogmatic assertion that a creator must be more complex than its creation, well, I don't see why we should believe that this is necessarily true. I can at least imagine a machine that give rise to a more complex machine. Or parents who produce progeny that are demonstrably superior in all manner of areas."

Ok, I really don't want to be dogmatic, but this idea just makes sense to me this way and no other. I'll try to illustrate how and why it makes sense to me this way, and if you want you can try to illustrate how it might make sense to you in another, opposing way. Fair?

A good example is to think of an aeroplane, which is a rather complex piece of technology. Now, this item is the result of a lot of experts in various fields such as aerodynamics, metallurgy, physics, chemistry, electronics, logical systems, ergonomics, computer networking, and probably many more, applying their expertise in a coordinated fashion to make something that probably none of them individually understand in its entirety. It's a very complex piece of engineering, and yet, compared to any one of those experts, with their mind-bogglingly complex bodies and brains, with their fantastically coordinated musculature and skeletal systems, their hundreds of billions of highly organised neurons, the carefully organised information resident within the framework of their minds, this amazing piece of engineering pales to insignificance. That's actually probably understating it. The creators outweigh the creation in complexity by, many, many, many....many, many, many orders of magnitude. The aeroplane is the product of the intellect of the aforementioned experts, but those intellects are far more complex than their creation, and even they cannot fully comprehend the totality of the complexity of their own creation, but need to be experts in isolation in their various fields. Even with that level of complexity.

You say you can imagine a machine that gives rise to a more complex machine by way of example, but I think that might be off the mark. What designed and created this machine? To say it simply exists is a meaningless abstraction. It must have had a creator, and if that was another machine, whether of more or less complexity, it must also have been created and therefore have had a creator. This is where to infamous 'infinite regression' comes into play, but it's not a bogey man, it's just a logical progression of this concept, and for people like me it applies to any creator, God included.

So far, the only mechanism that has been demonstrated to increase complexity over time is biological evolution my means of natural selection, which acts on hereditary variations introduced by mutation, both advantageous and disadvantageous, which are selected for and against respectively by nothing more than survival rates.

Aquinas' suggestions are of little value to me, they are nebulous interpretations of ambiguous texts, and rely heavily on unsubstantiated assumptions. I'm not really into that.

• Advertisement

I guess I understand a soul in terms of Christian theology as much as any lay Christian, being that I was one for 12-16 years (that's leaving out the first 4 years of life during which I wouldn't really have had the capacity to consider things reflectively, and providing for a gradual fading out of faith from my world-view over the ages of 16-20). .

If being a Catholic for 12-16 years is sufficient to grasp this stuff then the mnajority of the Irish population would be adept in theology.
    I would agree that if the mind, as defined above, is the soul, then yes, animals have them and that includes humans
    Yes, now you're getting it. The soul is indeed, in broad terms a mind.

The Greek word translated 'soul' is psyche. Now think of any English words that are derived from that:

Psychological - Pertaining to the mind
    Psychiatric - Sickness of the mind
    Psychadelic - Blows your mind!

Does that tell you anything?
    but I wouldn't call that an immortal soul
    Neither would I, but then I don't believe souls are inherently immortal. Jesus spoke about souls being destroyed.

Biological evolution follows this pattern elegantly, starting from simple origins of replicating molecules with organisms getting progressively more complex with subsequent generations, the reason being mutations conferring advantageous variations from the original being selected for by survival rates and those advantageous characteristics being propagated to future generations, with occasional further advantageous mutations being added and increasing the complexity of the resulting organisms as time goes by. Naturally disadvantageous mutations also happen and are selected against by the same mechanism so do not propagate. Just to diverge a little I feel compelled to point out the beautiful elegance of this mechanism, which operates entirely unguided and yet results in the appearance of exquisitely designed organisms of inestimable complexity, like your good selves and I.

I don't know why you feel the need to describe evolutionary processes to me. Having studied biology at 3rd level, I am as familiar with the theory as I'll ever likely want to be. I'm afraid that my passions wont be stirred however many times you assure me of the beauty and elegance involved. I accept evolution. I've moved on. Perhaps your cultured description will receive more attention elsewhere.
    I must risk being rude here and simply point out that I hold the orthodox understanding to be wholly wrong.

Well that is hardly a staggering admission coming from an atheist. Would a heterodox Christian understanding be less than wholly wrong, I wonder?
    To say that there is 'nothing' before God, and that he exists outside of our normal causal conversational rules, is to sabotage the discussion.
    It is not to sabotage the discussion. It is to describe God. You have just informed us that your way is the only way. This is not conducive to debate. And I'd rather just stop typing if this is how it's going to be.
    This is why I've gone through the whole rigmarole of saying why and how complexity follows simplicity

Yes, you said that complexity follows simplicity. But you didn't provide much in the way of information beyond this assertion. One man's rigmarole is another man's bald statement, I guess.
    Thinking this way means I naturally conclude that if God created the universe, he must have been even more complex than it, and must therefore have an explainable origin in simplicity.

And all swans are white, right?
    I simply don't think any other way. To say 'God did it' doesn't answer anything for me or other atheists, as I'm sure you're aware, it just raises further questions, and pushes the question back to, essentially, 'well, what did God?' That's just how people like me think.

God did what? We aren't talking about the presumed actions of God. We are talking about his nature, specifically his eternal nature.
    Ok, I really don't want to be dogmatic, but this idea just makes sense to me this way and no other.

It "makes sense" may be a personally satisfactory response but there is no obligation on either God or the universe to operate within the boundaries of your understanding.
    I'll try to illustrate how and why it makes sense to me this way, and if you want you can try to illustrate how it might make sense to you in another, opposing way. Fair?

You example is neither good nor fair. You have taken the most complex collocation of atoms known to us and compared everything else against that.
    You say you can imagine a machine that gives rise to a more complex machine by way of example, but I think that might be off the mark. What designed and created this machine?

I don't believe it is off the mark. Rather, I believe that you stretch the analogy too far. Given that I've already stated the position that God is uncreated, I don't see there is much point in talking about super machines building lesser machines that then go on to build machines greater than themselves.

My point was simple: complexity can give rise to simplicity and simplicity can give rise to complexity.
    To say it simply exists is a meaningless abstraction [...]

This is where to infamous 'infinite regression' comes into play, but it's not a bogey man, it's just a logical progression of this concept, and for people like me it applies to any creator, God included.

Well that rather leaves you in the lurch when considering existence. Why something rather than nothing? Infinite regression is mute in the face of such a question.

It wasn't 50 years ago that people were still passionately divided on the notion that the universe simply existed without beginning. Worldviews change, I guess.
    It must have had a creator

God did it!
    Aquinas' suggestions are of little value to me, they are nebulous interpretations of ambiguous texts, and rely heavily on unsubstantiated assumptions. I'm not really into that.

It doesn't matter if you are "into it" or not. The point was that the objections you raise are not of concern to the Judeo-Christian understanding of God. You don't have to be into it to understand that both traditions maintain that God is uncreated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

They do if you convert to Catholicism.

strobe wrote: »

Quite a coincidence that the parked cars, and the petals of the flowers, remained in exactly the same place in every single one of the photos that were supposedly taken over an extended period of time.

As a piece of humor it would be entertaining - but when it purports to be factual it is nothing but old-fashioned lying.

If being a Catholic for 12-16 years is sufficient to grasp this stuff then the mnajority of the Irish population would be adept in theology.

That's just arrogant. You presume much about the experiences of others.

The Greek word translated 'soul' is psyche. Now think of any English words that are derived from that:

Psychological - Pertaining to the mind
    Psychiatric - Sickness of the mind
    Psychadelic - Blows your mind!

Does that tell you anything?

Nothing I don't already know. Should it tell me anything specific? Also it's psychosis.

I don't know why you feel the need to describe evolutionary processes to me. Having studied biology at 3rd level, I am as familiar with the theory as I'll ever likely want to be. I'm afraid that my passions wont be stirred however many times you assure me of the beauty and elegance involved. I accept evolution. I've moved on. Perhaps your cultured description will receive more attention elsewhere.

Thank you for the compliment. Perhaps it will even receive more attention here than expected, should there be other readers passing through of a curious frame of mind?

Well that is hardly a staggering admission coming from an atheist. Would a heterodox Christian understanding be less than wholly wrong, I wonder?

Depends.

It is not to sabotage the discussion. It is to describe God. You have just informed us that your way is the only way. This is not conducive to debate. And I'd rather just stop typing if this is how it's going to be.

My way is the only way? Is that in reference to how to frame the question of what made God?

Yes, you said that complexity follows simplicity. But you didn't provide much in the way of information beyond this assertion. One man's rigmarole is another man's bald statement, I guess.

In fact you quoted quite a big chunk of what I provided beyond my assertion at the very start of your post. You know, all the stuff about evolution you feel was quite unnecessary to outline? And then there was all the stuff about the aeroplane, but that was later on, after I mentioned the rigmarole, so maybe you'd quoted and typed before you got to it. I did say I'd get back to it though. You should have waited, it was good.

And all swans are white, right?

Really? Cool

It "makes sense" may be a personally satisfactory response but there is no obligation on either God or the universe to operate within the boundaries of your understanding.

Now, you know I was trying to excuse why I might have been read as being dogmatic by your good self in my previous assertion, not that I was asserting that because something only makes sense to me in a certain way that it must therefore by that way. There's no need to intentionally misrepresent my sentiments. I've exlained as clearly as I am able, in good faith, why I hold the views on complexity and simplicity that I do. You're free to agree or disagree of course, and I would be delighted to hear you expand on your own views on the matter, so that I might better understand them, but I would only ask that you do so in equally good faith.

You example is neither good nor fair. You have taken the most complex collocation of atoms known to us and compared everything else against that.

And this in response to:

Originally Posted by H1ppy viewpost.gif
    "I'll try to illustrate how and why it makes sense to me this way, and if you want you can try to illustrate how it might make sense to you in another, opposing way. Fair?"

But nothing by way of explanation of your own views, just crits. How unsporting. I was just trying to encourage a real conversation. Don't fear, I shan't persist for long if it starts to look like I'm wasting my time. ;)

My point was simple: complexity can give rise to simplicity and simplicity can give rise to complexity.

Are you applying the same burdon of provision of backing-up information to your own assertions that you're applying to mine?
    Yes, you said that complexity follows simplicity. But you didn't provide much in the way of information beyond this assertion.

Well that rather leaves you in the lurch when considering existence. Why something rather than nothing? Infinite regression is mute in the face of such a question.

Not at all. That's the beauty of philosophy as opposed to religion. You get to ask the questions even in the near certitude that you may never know the answers. It's extremely rewarding, I highly recommend it.

It doesn't matter if you are "into it" or not. The point was that the objections you raise are not of concern to the Judeo-Christian understanding of God. You don't have to be into it to understand that both traditions maintain that God is uncreated.

That's the short version. But the long version in the link you provided is all the so-called proofs for these conclusions. These so-called proofs are not actual proofs in the sense that is normally understood to be meant by 'proof'. Their acceptence hinges on faith in an unfalsifiable hypothesis, the existence of God, in the first place, as opposed to actual evidence. It's this kind of misappropriation of the term 'proof' that I'm 'not into'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

..................A good example is to think of an aeroplane, which is a rather complex piece of technology. Now, this item is the result of a lot of experts in various fields such as aerodynamics, metallurgy, physics, chemistry, electronics, logical systems, ergonomics, computer networking, and probably many more, applying their expertise in a coordinated fashion to make something that probably none of them individually understand in its entirety. It's a very complex piece of engineering, and yet, compared to any one of those experts, with their mind-bogglingly complex bodies and brains, with their fantastically coordinated musculature and skeletal systems, their hundreds of billions of highly organised neurons, the carefully organised information resident within the framework of their minds, this amazing piece of engineering pales to insignificance. That's actually probably understating it. The creators outweigh the creation in complexity by, many, many, many....many, many, many orders of magnitude. The aeroplane is the product of the intellect of the aforementioned experts, but those intellects are far more complex than their creation, and even they cannot fully comprehend the totality of the complexity of their own creation, but need to be experts in isolation in their various fields. Even with that level of complexity.

You say you can imagine a machine that gives rise to a more complex machine by way of example, but I think that might be off the mark. What designed and created this machine? To say it simply exists is a meaningless abstraction. It must have had a creator, and if that was another machine, whether of more or less complexity, it must also have been created and therefore have had a creator. .........

Recently dozens of sycamore seeds came flying into my back garden from a tree some distance off. These rotating flying seeds are shaped like a wing of an aircraft and could be described as single bladed gyro-copters. Gyro-copters were 'discovered' or invented by man approximately 50 years ago. Sycamore trees are thousands of years old I imagine. Some intelligent force got there before us !!!

Quite a coincidence that the parked cars, and the petals of the flowers, remained in exactly the same place in every single one of the photos that were supposedly taken over an extended period of time.

As a piece of humor it would be entertaining - but when it purports to be factual it is nothing but old-fashioned lying.

:D Seems quite obviously meant to be a joke to me. Even the comments help clue one in, should they be unsure. Although comment 1 is probably a lie, but pretty transparent it has to be said.

Recently dozens of sycamore seeds came flying into my back garden from a tree some distance off. These rotating flying seeds are shaped like a wing of an aircraft and could be described as single bladed gyro-copters. Gyro-copters were 'discovered' or invented by man approximately 50 years ago. Sycamore trees are thousands of years old I imagine. Some intelligent force got there before us !!!

Holy Chumba-Womba, you just wrinkled my brain! :D

:D Seems quite obviously meant to be a joke to me. Even the comments help clue one in, should they be unsure. Although comment 1 is probably a lie, but pretty transparent it has to be said.

Unfortunately common sense is not so common, and what seems pretty obvious to you and me is not so obvious to those who are intellectually challenged. Every now and again some poor moron crops up on the A&A forum who can't grasp that 'Intelligent Falling' is a spoof: http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The Bible teaches that God gave man dominion over the animal world.

However.
    I think (hope) that all of Gods creatures deserve respect and to be treated well and I have no doubt that, if we're to believe the Christian concept of a kind and forgiving God some provision could well be made in the next life!

I must risk being rude here and simply point out that I hold the orthodox understanding to be wholly wrong. To say that there is 'nothing' before God, and that he exists outside of our normal causal conversational rules, is to sabotage the discussion. This is why I've gone through the whole rigmarole of saying why and how complexity follows simplicity, not verse-vica, and asserting that a creator must be more complex than its creation (which I'll come back to). Thinking this way means I naturally conclude that if God created the universe, he must have been even more complex than it, and must therefore have an explainable origin in simplicity. I simply don't think any other way. To say 'God did it' doesn't answer anything for me or other atheists, as I'm sure you're aware, it just raises further questions, and pushes the question back to, essentially, 'well, what did God?' That's just how people like me think.

But do you really? In my experience you and by I mean you the atheists, not you personally, present regurtitations of prior atheists frequently passed off as your own thinking but really little more than indoctrinated drivil with little or no substance. Not surprising really considering the source of your material.
    Then to cry foul when you attempt to point you in the direction of the source that has the answers. Well, what are we to do.

There are few questions you can ask that we haven't already heard but to be honest there is no point answering because you never listen, or if you do you don't or cannot hear.

If you can think, you can find the answer.

If you have to ask, it pays to ask the right question. Then listen to the answer and hear it. If you cannot hear it you have some fundamental work to do. Or possibly remedial.

Formulating your own answer then generating a question from it is not unintentionally trolling.

I certainly don't want to end up trolling unintentionally, even though I disagree with everything so far posited in response to my previous post.

Of course not, you would prefer to troll intentionally, would you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

To start out with, my lack of faith in an immortal soul or the supernatural stems in no small degree from my acceptance of the theory of evolution as scientific fact demonstrated through massive amounts of overwhelmingly convincing evidence. It is from this starting point that the reasoning follows: germs and things don't have souls, ants don't have souls, mice don't have souls, cats and dogs don't have souls, monkey's don't have souls, species of African Ape don't have souls. Humans are a species of African Ape. Humans don't have souls..........

I would look at it another way. If humans have souls then why not the African ape, then on down the line until consciousness does not exist. Interestingly enough there are reported apparitions of dead pets re-appearing to their owners. One such book on apparitions I have was forwarded by the Dean of St. Pauls who obviously had an open mind on this matter. One thing that puzzles me about atheists, like yourself, is why are they so definite about their non-belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

marty1985 wrote: »
    As I write this I'm in a hotel room in Switzerland, and the one I love is sleeping outdoors in Taiwan. I am really upset about this. My dog is 4 months old. She's good for nothing except loyalty, companionship and fun. She has always slept in my bedroom, but she will be in the care of someone else for a few weeks while I'm away. Anyway, I visited some beautiful churches here today, and said some prayers and lot some candles for someone to watch over her and help her not to be scared, lonely or confused and for her to not forget me.

So I've just been thinking about Christian theology and animals. Has much been said on the subject of pets? I know people always say their dog is the cutest dog in the world, but believe me, in my case it's actually true. For example, if I live forever in heaven, I want her with me. If when I get to the gates of heaven and PDN and Fanny Cradock tell me they put a 'lock' on my dog and didn't allow her to enter, I swear to God I will descend into the world of the damned to find her, much like Robin Williams in that movie, only, you know, better.
    This is something i find myself often thinking about too. I had a beautiful redsetter for thirteen years before cancer got hold of her in february. She was the quietest, gentlest, loving little thing id ever known. She wouldnt no how to do wrong if she tryed. I would be both appalled and saddened to think she'd be anywhere other than heaven. Surely heaven wouldnt be heaven, if we didnt get to see our little pets again!:)

My way is the only way? Is that in reference to how to frame the question of what made God?

No. It is in direct reference to your claim that to work off the Judeo-Christian belief in the eternal nature of God is to sabotage the discussion.
    In fact you quoted quite a big chunk of what I provided beyond my assertion at the very start of your post. You know, all the stuff about evolution you feel was quite unnecessary to outline?

That's the funny thing about forums. The respondent gets to pick and choose what parts they reply to.
    And then there was all the stuff about the aeroplane, but that was later on, after I mentioned the rigmarole, so maybe you'd quoted and typed before you got to it. I did say I'd get back to it though. You should have waited, it was good.

I saw it and replied.
    There's no need to intentionally misrepresent my sentiments. I've exlained as clearly as I am able, in good faith, why I hold the views on complexity and simplicity that I do. You're free to agree or disagree of course, and I would be delighted to hear you expand on your own views on the matter, so that I might better understand them, but I would only ask that you do so in equally good faith.

I don't believe I have misrepresented your views on simplicity/ complexity. I apologise if it came across this way. My intention was simple: highlight your a priori assumption regarding the order of creation.
    Are you applying the same burdon of provision of backing-up information to your own assertions that you're applying to mine?

I try to. I see the case for both sides, and that is why I don't believe that one can categorically say that complexity implies a creator of more complexity. While we could talk about things like emergence, and I the very universe as another example of complexity arising form something simple, I fail to see what this has to with God.

I wonder why any observations we have made into how the universe fictions should necessarily apply to the supernatural world? Even as a thought experiment (one doesn't actually have to believe in God to partake) there is no logical reason why the former impels the nature of existence in the the latter. That it has been observed apples rot on Earth implies nothing about whether they rot or, for that matter, if the exist in a supernatural realm.

I would also suggest that as I'm not here explicitly to promote my perspective, I feel that the burden of argument rests on you. Remember that you are preaching to the converted!
    Not at all. That's the beauty of philosophy as opposed to religion.
    Theology and philosophy are strange bedfellows. You're familiar with the philosophy of religion, right? I think that on this forum you are as likely to hear philosophy as you are theology. More often than not they are combined.
    That's the short version. But the long version in the link you provided is all the so-called proofs for these conclusions. These so-called proofs are not actual proofs in the sense that is normally understood to be meant by 'proof'.

I wonder what you understand by the word proof?

While I don't particularly want to get into an discussion on epistemology, I think that Aquinas is perfectly entitled to use syllogism or whatever other method he wished.
    Their acceptence hinges on faith in an unfalsifiable hypothesis, the existence of God, in the first place, as opposed to actual evidence. It's this kind of misappropriation of the term 'proof' that I'm 'not into'.

I actually only found one entry for the word "proof" in the link I provided. However, my purpose in posting the link was not to convince you about the existence of God. The link was posted in direct response to our very off topic discussion about simplicity and complexity. The intention was to demonstrate that Christianity never saw your objection as a problem. That you don't find it convincing (or I do) is neither here nor there.

Festus wrote: »
    Of course not, you would prefer to troll intentionally, would you not.

Not the way to go about things! If you suspect a person of breaking the charter use the report function. The reported post is then reviewed by the mods and it is then decided if action is to be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Oh for the love of God PDN, of course it's photoshopped, it's just a joke man, hardly "old fashioned lying".

Advertisement