Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10% discount for bookdepository (Irish customers only)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

geecee wrote: »
    Hi dockc
    Exact same thing happened with me from an order i put through on Sunday

Website crashed during the ordering process.
    Basket however was still there when i checked
    And received no order confirmation.

So i put the order through again
    And have now been charged twice on my CC

Waiting to hear back from their "Help@" at the moment...
    Are they usually quick in responding to help queries?

Just to update this:
    The Book Deposityory got back to me almost immediately and cancelled the "phantom" order

A credit refund was applied to my account the next day

I am very impressed that the issue was so efficiently sorted out...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Got all excited (well, yknow) about the 10% off, went to order a couple of books, and promptly forgot about the discount code until after checkout. D'oh! Cheap enough all the same, and I spent under a tenner so no biggy. Thanks OP. Should've bought a memory improvement book, perhaps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

mcgovern wrote: »
    I've d bookdepository loads of times and never a problem.
    One thing I will say though, and I'm not 100% sure its still true, but they add on a few % to prices if you have a non-UK IP address.

yes thats true, its possible to get another few % off by using a UK proxy, but i wouldnt recommend using paypal/credit card etc on a public proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Thanks OP.

The Book Depository is significantly cheaper than Easons and other Irish bookshops.

Did some price comparisons and wrote up a short piece on ma blog: http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/shop-around/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

1968 wrote: »
    Thanks OP.

The Book Depository is significantly cheaper than Easons and other Irish bookshops.

Did some price comparisons and wrote up a short piece on ma blog: http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/shop-around/

very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I used fatcheese with it, just click on the link in fatcheese and then change the portion of the address after .co.uk to the corresponding part of the special offer page for the discount and order with the code. Fatcheese brings up an option to verify order for the book depository after a few hours where you just have to put in order number, address and total spent.

I used fatcheese for this too - makes the deal even sweeter (every little helps)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I wanted to order a book from this site tonight - chances of it making it here before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭freebee23

Renn wrote: »
    I wanted to order a book from this site tonight - chances of it making it here before Christmas?

Just a heads up to all you avid readers out there, I have been using the book depository over the last few months as well, but wouldn't hold my breath to get a delivery before X-Mas if you order at this stage.
    I ordered a college book on 27th November, dispatched 30th November and still no sign of delivery yet.
    Contacted them on Wednesday of this week and got the following response:
    Dear Sir,
    I can confirm that this title was dispatched to you on the 30th November and should be arriving with you shortly. We are advising customers to allow a maximum of 7-14 working days for delivery due to the Christmas period being upon us. In this instance, please allow until the 20th December for this to arrive with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elaicah

Renn wrote: »

if you havent ordered by now[5pm friday], I think its very unlikely you'd have the books by next friday

btw today is the last day for using the 10% discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

freebee23 wrote: »
    I ordered a college book on 27th November, dispatched 30th November and still no sign of delivery yet.
    Contacted them on Wednesday of this week and got the following response:
    Dear Sir,

I can confirm that this title was dispatched to you on the 30th November and should be arriving with you shortly. We are advising customers to allow a maximum of 7-14 working days for delivery due to the Christmas period being upon us. In this instance, please allow until the 20th December for this to arrive with you.

Freebee, have you contacted your local An Post parcel office? It could be sitting there waiting to be collected. It's worth a call to check it out.

A lot of deliveries of all kinds, not only postal, have been held up by weather problems this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Book depository are always this slow in our experience. We buy mainly academic book and its usually at least three weeks for delivery. I assume they don't actually stock the books and order when you place your order. They must be using the lowest possible priority shipping too as how else could you offer free shipping on a 4kg manual like the one my dad just ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

From my experience it takes, on average, ten working days to get books from them. Well worth the delay.
    1968 wrote: »

My experience, three books for €13 from tBD compared to €32 in Eason's and €22 in Waterstones (on a 3 for 2, missing one of the books I wanted). I have an Eason's voucher that I've been trying to use for the past year. I'm all for supporting local business (where reasonable) but I just can't bring myself to pay the prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I placed 3 orders recently with them - 3 books went to family in Australia, free shipping to them so happy days. They got the books within 2 weeks, quicker if I remember.

I sent 3 books to the Uk, presuming they've arrived at this stage (must check)

Last order of 11 books to me in Dublin. Order placed on the 9th & shipped between the 13th & 15th. 2 books arrived on the 16th, 7 arrived yesterday & 1 arrived this morning, so only waiting on 1. 9 days after ordering & they all only shipping this week, so very quick shipping I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

10% discount code still working, just put an order in there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Delivery times fairly fast to Ireland I've found: 4-5 Working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ciarawalsh

Manach wrote: »
    Delivery times fairly fast to Ireland I've found: 4-5 Working days.

received the last of my order today, very happy with service and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

I ordered 4 books from them in two batches.

I think it's a great company. You will probably save time and be safer if you pay through your PayPal account.

Also, the website dioesn't have loads of pithy reviews, unlike Amazon. You can get lots of information about a particular book if you search it's ISBN number on Amazon.co.uk. :)

Update: it seems that surfing through a UK proxy may save you moeny on this site: http://www.lecraic.com/2009/08/21/should-bookdepository-co-uk-say-that-shipping-is-free-worldwide/ .

Update: it's a good idea to search boards.ie or other websites for discount codes.

Advertisement