Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should dogs have their jabs everyyear

• 05-12-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hi folks just wondering if dogs need jabs every year .they are due in jan and dogs are year old .any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I def recommend that they get their Lepto and Parvo every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

There is a line of thought that dogs may not need their jabs every year, it is thought that vaccine companies want to maximise their profits so therefore recommend every year. I don't know an awful lot about it but if you do a bit of googling you might find more info on it.

Personally I vaccinate every year, I can't remember rightly but I think my vet gives parvo every 3 years and then lepto every 14 months. Im in contact with a lot of dogs and I walk my dogs in places where other dogs have been so it's better to be safe than sorry, also worth mentioning that parvo is a nasty horrible disease and is highly contagious, you can bring it into your home just be picking it up on your shoes, dogs do not need direct contact to pick it up. :(

Keep in mind though that if you need to put your dog into boarding you will need an up to date vaccination card, otherwise they will not take him. Some kennels then require the kennel cough vaccine as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hi OP, to answer your question, your dogs will definitely need to get their booster in January, as they're only 1 year old, and this is a very important booster for dogs.

The most current veterinary thinking on vaccination is this:

- the normal puppy course of 2 to 3 shots between the ages of 6 to 16 weeks approx
    - a full booster (against everything) when they are 1 year old

and then:
    - a leptospirosis booster given every year
    - and the remainder of the diseases (called the DHPPi vaccine) given every 3 years.

However until recently it was recommended that a 'full' booster (lepto + DHPPi) be given every year, and a lot of vets still follow these recommendations. Either way you will have to go back for at least 1 shot every year, and your vet will know themselves by reading your dog's vaccination card which they need to give.

Don't forget though that if your dog is going to shows or being put into kennels that you will need to specifically ask the vet to do him/her for kennel cough as well (this isn't covered in the routine vaccination course).

If you're bringing your dog abroad at any stage you'll have to contact your vet 6 or 7 months before travelling (at least) as some countries require extra vaccinations e.g. rabies etc.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

oh p.s. in case you're worried, the 'full' booster of lepto + DHPPi comes in a combined solution, so your dog will only need to get 1 injection to get covered for both, if you get my drift! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Another thing to consider is that most insurance companies require dogs to have yearly boosters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Another thing to consider is that most insurance companies require dogs to have yearly boosters.
    Most boarding kennels will also require that the dog have up to date boosters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I had a foster dog come from the pound who died days later :( PARVO.It is a horrible very painful,quick killing disease so I would deffo reccomend boosters every year xxx

Advertisement