Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Close to an hour of really heavy stuff here, still only small flakes so its taking its time to get any real depth but a few cm's have built up by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Weather Warning issued by UK Met Office

These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours.
    Local areas affected Warning type Valid from Valid to Northern Ireland: Co Antrim Co Derry Co Fermanagh Co Tyrone Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads 0600 Mon 6 1500 Mon 6 A band of rain and sleet will spread south early on Monday morning and turn increasingly to snow, persisting through into the afternoon. Initially the precipitation will fall onto frozen surfaces with widespread ice developing on untreated roads and pavements, and accumulations of 5 to 10cm of snow expected.
    The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ME's 5 day forecast for 2nite at 1800 shows V Light showers for leinster ( which i agree with )
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

But here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_radar.html the Met office show moderate showers for leinster for 1800.

I wonder who's gonna be more accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

2 and half hours since it started here.. no break.. turning to light graupel now

Edit: very very light drizzle now

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lithium.

Snowing like **** in north Donegal, 3 inches in 2 hours. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The snow is pelting down here in Strabane now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Looks like tonight Cork will see a lot of precipitation according to the HIRLAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snow ghost wrote: »
    I could see this - what I'm getting - turning to snow further inland, you can see the sleety bits wishing they were flakes.

Bright sunshine here still, had a brief spell of rain earlier, but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    2 and half hours since it started here.. no break.. turning to light graupel now

Edit: very very light drizzle now

drizzle now allright in donegal town

sleety snow now

edit: gritter just come through town !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

It's funny how close that big band of ppt is to us, it's scorching sunlight here atm :D I love it!
    Don't need rain at all.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Looks like tonight Cork will see a lot of precipitation according to the HIRLAM.

yeah saw that too. i fear it will be of the rain/sleet variety however the time of falling during the night may be on our side.

sleety snow now

yeah was just chatting to Killybegs.. bucketing rain there.. what they get as rain we get as snow so looks like there is more on the way..

Edit: Its just arrived.. snowing again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

glad to say we may not be seeing any,more hard weather such as snow/frost this winter as a mild front coming over Ireland/British isles will see the end to the hardship for one more year!:D:):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The snowline starts at mountcharles I have heard Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

glad to say we may not be seeing any,more hard weather such as snow/frost this winter as a mild front coming over Ireland/British isles will see the end to the hardship for one more year!:D:):cool:
    Until next week.

This is a proper snow shower now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

sleety snow now

Same here now, really light drizzle of snow. Shame we didnt have better flakes but about 3cm on the ground all the same

sleety snow now

I think you should steel that big black 4x4 outside your office !! Im sure Laim would lend it to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

just round 2kms outside donegal town and its still sleet!

Don't get your hopes too high on that:
    http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think you should steel that big black 4x4 outside your office !! Im sure Laim would lend it to you ;)

dont tempt me, the 98 primera in front of it is mine :D

we'll see if the winter tyres are worth it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Yeah maybe if Bastardi is right it could be a hard few weeks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Is it just me or does the really heavier precip seem to be more in Central/Eastern parts of NI cause I thought the West was supposed to get the heavy stuff. Could be a good dumping in Belfast later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So Bastardi has changed his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still waiting for something, anything in east Galway.
    Nothing to report from connemara?

So Bastardi has changed his mind.

Indeed! At least about the NW.
    About SE-Central EU he's still adamant about an arctic winter, saying the blocking will move here about the British isles (indeed it will), so far it looks like he was spot on with that.
    We'll see what happens here in the NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

All the more reason to want and enjoy when nature's dandruff, it's head cold and mucus goes away.
    Much prefer when it is just a runny nose rather than the current congestion nature is suffering from.
    Get well soon nature, I know you are prone to congestion at the moment but a temporary reprieve from your sickness would be very welcome.

Still waiting for something, anything in east Galway.
    Nothing to report from connemara?

I think we'll see rain in about 30m. :(

rilz wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the really heavier precip seem to be more in Central/Eastern parts of NI cause I thought the West was supposed to get the heavy stuff. Could be a good dumping in Belfast later.
    I can confirm that the heavy stuff is very much falling in the western part of NI here in Strabane. Lifford, Letterkenny and Ballybofey have all had a lot over the past couple of hours.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    All the more reason to want and enjoy when nature's dandruff, it's head cold and mucus goes away.
    Much prefer when it is just a runny snow rather than the current congestion nature is suffering from.
    Get well soon nature, I know you are prone to congestion at the moment but a temporary reprieve from your sickness would be very welcome.

Not sure what you're talking about, but the analogy is kinda broken.
    It is actually the dry, strong cold which helps to kill all the bacteria, mucus etc. Cold winter is the cleansing effect for the land - killing zillions of harmful bacteria, pests for the plants on the field, etc. If anything, it should be welcomed :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement