Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

darkman2 wrote: »
    Outbreaks of sleet and snow for a while yet. Maybe till 10 or 11pm. Very icy but should be dry rest of the night.

It'a been raining the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

It'a been raining the last 2 hours.

If it is snowing in Drogheda then it should snow in Dublin. Drogeda is usually a bit milder.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

pelting snow now in Mullingar,
    V heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Gonzo wrote: »
    had light rain about an hour ago but nothing since

Still going strong here,
    any where i clearded is white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Love the fact the weather beats tomorrows budget as the top story on RTE :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    If it is snowing in Drogheda then it should snow in Dublin. Drogeda is usually a bit milder.:D
    Nonsense. Drogheda tends to be a bit colder than Dublin, and even more so outside Drogheda. :) The NRA weather stations alone would tell you that much! This seems to be climatologically true also, as leaf fall in the Drogheda area happens a week or so earlier in my experience. Dublin has a heat island effect associated for pretty much all the area within or near the M50.

Drogheda also seems to get more snow than Dublin, except perhaps for Dublin 14/16 as you draw closer to the Dublin mountains. It's been like this for me in the past 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Harps wrote: »
    Love the fact the weather beats tomorrows budget as the top story on RTE :D

loving it as well, although i expect that wont last :(

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Light rain in Lusk!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Drogheda gets significantly less snow than Dublin and is generally milder - check with Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Light rain in Lusk!

are you right in the village? i'm at the edge of lusk and nothing at all here yet

• Advertisement

are you right in the village? i'm at the edge of lusk and nothing at all here yet

No on the Ministers Walk side - very light, had to leave my hand out the window for a good bit till I could confirm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

some sort of precipitation is coming into north cork at the moment. any one from north cork?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Temperature here is -0.2 at the moment, a few large lonely flakes falling a few minutes ago as I was travelling back home from Kilbride, but it stopped as I came into Ashbourne. Hard to call it right now, the air temperature is low enough, but I can't tell what the upper air is like.

The minor roads are worse now than they've been for several days, due to slight thawing during the day, which is now freezing again, so a layer of ice on top of compacted snow.

The main and secondary roads have become reasonable, but even a light fall of snow will be problematic if it happens, as there's a strong chance the first flakes will freeze into ice as they hit the road.

Care is needed on some of the secondary roads where they've been ploughed, as the plough can't take 2 swipes at it, so the cleared area is not 2 vehicles wide, and there are piles of hard snow either side of the track that has been cleared, and you need a tank to be able to hit them without doing damage.

(offtopic) I'd have liked a chieftain tank with a BIG gun on the front to clear the road of people who really should have stayed at home over the weekend. The number of people that really need to read up on how to drive in these conditions BEFORE getting into the car is incredible (/offtopic)

Estate roads are still very difficult. Lot of packed snow, very rutted, and a lot of vehicles very badly parked, making it hard for the people that can still get in and out to do so safely.

News is giving no indication of an early improvement, either a thaw or fresh snow to settle things down:D

Steve.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

No on the Ministers Walk side - very light, had to leave my hand out the window for a good bit till I could confirm :D

The neighbours must think you are a nut:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

What is the weather for Dublin ? We havent had any snow now in about 2 days. Will we get anymore this week ? and not just a small falling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the snow is beltin down in cavan now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Still nothing in my end of Athlone-south Roscommon, in fact still thawing:(

darkman2 wrote: »
    The neighbours must think you are a nut:eek:

Yeah its an attic window, often see people from houses behind looking up bewildered at me! The aul head/hand out the window weather station :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sleet now here, but it's unlikely to turn to snow for long enough to settle, too slushy and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Heavy snow in Trim now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

whaT time will it hit kilkenny anyone care to guess

• Registered Users Posts: 30,290 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just read this report of snow in blanchardstown on m50
    http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=92304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ihavenoname

Really heavy in navan now! Lots sticking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

rain and temp increasing to 1.2 in Killaloe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Heavy wet snow here for last hour. About 3-4cm. Turned to sleet for a while but big flakes for the last while. Roads will be fun in the morning! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

light snow just started falling up here! (near tooman lusk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Top Tip !!!

Thanks to load of old IBM Server Screws on the soles of my boots I was like a mountain goat on my walk home tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Remaining solidly snow here, but the bit of height must be making the difference. About 4-5 centimetres of fresh snow currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Just read this report of snow in blanchardstown on m50
    http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=92304

had to run out to do the lamp post check, yep very light though on my side of Blanch at the mo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

sleet here now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement