Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A good inch of new snow in Swords and Malahide.

Anyone thinking of travelling on the M1, while snow is still falling visibility was about 200m at most. FOG LIGHTS ON, and take extra care. Left lane only partially visible, the rest buried. Same goes for every road around Swords, Malahide, parts of Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Am I wrong, or does it not seem like this band will past east and away from us fairly soon? Even the updated met.ie forecast (from 23.16) is saying that for tomorrow 'Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will continue in Leinster and east Munster on Tuesday and only clear slowly southwards during the afternoon and evening.' But from the radar it looks like it'll be gone much sooner than that, maybe in a couple of hours? :confused:

Anyway, still going here (d15). Everything is nice and white again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Snowing like mad in Dublin CC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Looks like tomorrow morning will be fun for those of us who have to go to work! Nite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

Kev_tag wrote: »
    I'm driving dublin-belfast tomorrow - any idea what to expect from the M1??

Some updates from the LMFM facebook page for anyone travelling in or through Louth/Meath:

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎*LEINSTER* *LOUTH* Extremely icy conditions reported on the M1 Dublin/Belfast Rd northbound between J7 Julianstown and J9 Drogheda. * Heavy snow in Dundalk and Drogheda town where conditions are treacherous."

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎*****TRAVEL ALERT*****DROGHEDA GARDAI ARE ADVISING THE PUBLIC TO STAY INDOORS.MOTORISTS ARE BEING URGED TO AVOID ALL MAIN ROUTES AROUND DROGHEDA.DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE TREACHEROUS. CONDITIONS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO IMPROVE BEFORE 5AM. THE M1 AT MOASTERBOICE IS PARTICULARLY BAD"

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎*LOUTH* Icy conditions reported on the M1 Dublin/Belfast Rd northbound between J7 Julianstown and J9 Drogheda. * Hill St Bridge in Dundalk is treacherous. * Heavy snow reported in Castlebellingham and also in Omeath, Carlingford and Cooley."

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎*MEATH* The N51 at Slane is closed to traffic due to treacherous road conditions. * The N2 Dublin/Monaghan Rd impassable at Slane and Collon (Louth). Icy conditions have also been reported along this route at Ardee. * The Kildalkey and Ballivor roads out of Trim are very dangerous."

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎******TRAVEL ALERT ***** N51 NAVAN TO SLANE ROAD IS CLOSED ***** SNOW PLOUGHS NEEDED"

"Lmfm Breakfast Show ‎*****NEWS ALERT *******URGENT GARDA MESSAGE FOR MOTORISTS :AVOID SLANE COMPLETELY .A NUMBER OF LORRYS HAVE JACK KNIFED AND SEVERAL CARS HAVE LEFT THE ROAD.REPORTS OF A NUMBER OF COACHES BEING STUCK AT GLASALLON HILL"

Sorry about the capitals, just the way it was on lmfm site....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Heavy in Drumcondra now too. Unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

A great snow eve here in Clondakin and still going....the met thought this front would break up but snow love keeps it alive..only explanation really.
    :D

NickDrake wrote: »
    Heavy here still. Totally white out again and I mean totally.

Met Eireann get it wrong again.

CLowns

It was fairly reasonable to expect that the front would fizzle out quicker - up until about 3pm when the radar showed it was gonna clobber us fairly substantially.

No alert or update, but the forcasts before mid afternoon were fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Bucketing down .

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

LookingFor wrote: »
    Am I wrong, or does it not seem like this band will past east and away from us fairly soon? Even the updated met.ie forecast (from 23.16) is saying that for tomorrow 'Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will continue in Leinster and east Munster on Tuesday and only clear slowly southwards during the afternoon and evening.' But from the radar it looks like it'll be gone much sooner than that, maybe in a couple of hours? :confused:

Anyway, still going here (d15). Everything is nice and white again.

was just about to type this maybe they r trying to cover their arse unless something else is coming but can't see that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

nice heavy snow in Goatstown, sticking to everything in sight. :D
    Happy happy days are here again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turned very light here now but it has left 2 1/2 cm on the car roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Drogheda out of action by the looks of thing. Has been belting down for hours now. Easily 6-7 inches just fell. My table out the back looks like buckling at this stage! There has been no thaw here at all! Don't think it rose above freezing today?

6-7 inch on top of the rest EPIC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Clouds clearing away here in Dundalk now, stars visible. About 4-5 inches of snow fell here today. Now the freeze begins......

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

MetLuver wrote: »
    If only.....it's great you can still have fun with the kids, a lot of people at the moment accross this country are choosing to ignore the bright side and focus on all the bad. Hope you had lots of fun building those snowmen. :)

Aww fun - do you remember when you were a kid? Licking the ice off the inside of the glass, nose stuck to it from lampost watching.. Socks on your hands the next day for making the snowman.. Every kids made a monster snowman together, pelting the buses going by.... & always a stew on the table....:D My ma was just deadly in the snow............

Havent had any fun this time - a very sick little lady here who has been sick since the start of it & is not interested ....

But .......:D:D:D:D

heard a very funny one & I shouldnt laugh but was so funny. With all the ice in town people were pulling up to the lights, gang of young lads would run out & turn the car back to front. I almost wet myself when my sis told me that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

NickDrake wrote: »
    Met Eireann get it wrong again.
    CLowns

Easy to blame, isn't it? Not everything can be predicted and the snow around Dublin tonight wasn't envisaged by most of either amateur or professional forecasters here.

On another note, "the braking action test result on the active runway is described as UNRELIABLE due to the amount of snow on the runway"... It's interesting at the airport!

EDIT: the runway is being closed down for de-snowing. They're talking about 3 hours closure now, planes being diverted to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Belting it down here in Tallaght , heavier than I've seen it before . Met said a few light showers didn't they ? :rolleyes: So I take it this wasn't expected !
    Does anyone know if this is down for the night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Dublin airport now closed for at least 3 hours.

sdonn wrote: »
    It was fairly reasonable to expect that the front would fizzle out quicker - up until about 3pm when the radar showed it was gonna clobber us fairly substantially.

No alert or update, but the forcasts before mid afternoon were fair enough.

They stated in the afternoon that Dublin would have no snow this week. It is bucketing down here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

its getting annoying now, this never happened before, mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Coming down in big soft flakes here now about 1/2 inch on the ground:cool:

On a lighter note, looking at the radar I doubt we'll hear from anyone in the Isle of Man for about a week. Unless the temp was higher than here, they just got totally buried by the looks of things.

Or flooded. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Congratulations Snow Brethren! Fairly coming down in Rathgar

Winger_PL wrote: »
    Easy to blame, isn't it? Not everything can be predicted and the snow around Dublin tonight wasn't envisaged by most of either amateur or professional forecasters here.

On another note, "the braking action test result on the active runway is described as UNRELIABLE due to the amount of snow on the runway"... It's interesting at the airport!

EDIT: the runway is being closed down for de-snowing. They're talking about 3 hours closure now, planes being diverted to Shannon.

Easy? But they are professionals and paid a LOT of money. A blind baby with no hands would have seen snow was on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

snowing in north tipp:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

4Sheets wrote: »
    A great snow eve here in Clondakin and still going....the met thought this front would break up but snow love keeps it alive..only explanation really.
    :D

Which part of Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So Im guessing I'm still getting out of driving from limerick to wexford tomorrow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

dying out now in Newbridge. A total of 3.5 inches fell - roads back to square one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

zuroph wrote: »
    So Im guessing I'm still getting out of driving from limerick to wexford tomorrow? :)
    I think/hope I'm getting out of driving from Dublin to Roscommon tomorrow!

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »

Someone in Tipp used the words pelting down snow earlier, if that's anything to go by, your lie-on is secure. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement