Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Snowing lightly here now after heavier showers earlier in north kk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Still bucketing down here. This will be epic by morning.

All over again/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Air temp -1, not sure of the snow depth as the path outside the door is not open to all directions, it was clear earlier, and it's not now, probably about 10cm on it, but I am reckoning more than that in the places I can't see till daylight. Almost stopped again now, and if raintoday is correct, that's it for this session, though the kink in the isobars could start the NE flow off again in the morning, who knows;)

It's going to be "interesting" on the roads in the morning!

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Snowing heavily here again D.18, gona go bed now tho! See what happens by tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

dfbemt wrote: »
    Eh, 4 inches is 10cm !!!!!

Maybe not in North East Meath though ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion that some people are mixing up inches with centimeters. Inches are the big confusing ones that come in thirds and quarters and such. Silly geese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Why is this new snow so twinkly as it's falling and on the ground?? Looks like sparkling diamonds as it falls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Eh, inches are the easy ones, centimetres are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

argosy2006 wrote: »
    kILKENNY GETTING POUNDED BY 5 INCHES,
    WORST EVER, I JUST WENT OUTSIDE, UNREAL!

Sounds like the all-Ireland final all over again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Quiet you wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion that some people are mixing up inches with centimeters. .

Ha. I wonder if its just when measuring snow that they mix up inches and centimeters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

I did ask this question earlier so apologies if it was answered but the thread just moves so quickly!

What's the major difference between the front that's passing over us now and the one that tried to pass over the country on Friday but fizzled out before it got anywhere near the East coast? This front seems to keep going and going, even though it was seemingly a week(ish) front that was likely to evaporate and weaken quickly as it passed over the cold snow-filled land as it moved across the country (like what happened on Friday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

lots of snow falling in Sandymount now for ages, at least it will be easier to get around tomorrow, its been like a ice rink the last few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Snowing fairly heavily here now bif fluffy flakes, love suprise snow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

dfbemt wrote: »
    Eh, 4 inches is 10cm !!!!!

Maybe not in North East Meath though ;)

owned!

5 in = 12.7 cm

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Anyone understand me when I say snow is only fully enjoyable when you experience it at home? I'm in Dublin tonight watching serious snow but it doesn't seem to count somehow?

Absolutely, I've been in various places abroad with lots of snow and loved it but you can't beat looking out your own window and seeing the familiar surroundings but blanketed in snow... thats what I love about this weather, the change from the norm around you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

snow kilkenny,
    so heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see Sky News are running the headline "Britain's Big Freeze Bites Back" - did we steal it from them or did they steal it from us? :D

Didn't steal it from them anyway, must of stolen it from us:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I have a sneaking suspicion that some people are mixing up inches with centimeters. Inches are the big confusing ones that come in thirds and quarters and such. Silly geese.

I reckon the geese have fecked off somewhere else at this stage...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Eh, inches are the easy ones, centimetres are bad.

No way man. Metric is all divisable by ten. Inches need you to find common denominators and all that lark. Nonsense I say.

Also, one centimeter on the ground in Rathranham. More could have fallen but thats all that settled on the exposed concrete so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Like I don't really like jumping on the bash everything Irish bandwagon even though its mostly right. But Met Eireann haven't a notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

haha yes, yes 10cm is roughly 4 inches, 3.94 to be exact, my mistake, hard to measure looking out the window so ive just been out to the garden to fully check the calculations, and in fact we have officially just short of 13 inches of snow. the calculation panic of cm-inches is now over ;)

• Advertisement

They probably intend on fecking off to work in a few hours. How I miss not being a burden on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

compsys wrote: »
    I did ask this question earlier so apologies if it was answered but the thread just moves so quickly!

What's the major difference between the front that's passing over us now and the one that tried to pass over the country on Friday but fizzled out before it got anywhere near the East coast? This front seems to keep going and going, even though it was seemingly a week(ish) front that was likely to evaporate and weaken quickly as it passed over the cold snow-filled land as it moved across the country (like what happened on Friday)
    In a nutshell, it was more organised I think? The front behaved more like a LP, though without the circulation and warm core. There were elements of a warm, cold and occluded fronts and the point where the occluded front starts tends to be the heaviest with precipitation. That hit Ulster and North Leinster mainly.

Now that's a kinda technical answer and I still doubt it's right as I'm not too sure of this "front"s exact nature. Hopefully someone with a more confident answer can help me out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

i captured e few of them:D

SAM_0746.JPG

haha yes, yes 10cm is roughly 4 inches, my mistake hard to measure looking out the window so ive just been out to the garden to fully check the calculations, and in fact we have officially just short of 13 inches of snow. the calculation panic of cm-inches is now over ;)

Panic? Who was panicing? I have a medical disorder, thats what all this sweat is from. Christy Moore-itis is what I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Like I don't really like jumping on the bash everything Irish bandwagon even though its mostly right. But Met Eireann haven't a notion.

So how much faith should we put in their forecast of warmer weather around Thursday and a thaw by the weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

Hi All

I reeeeeeaaaaaallllllly dont want to work tomorrow......hoping for snow to get me out of it.

Problem: I'm n Wexford and no snow yet....whats my chances of a bed day tomorrow.

Please let it be good news

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Not a flake here in WEx Town.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Still kinda snowing in D22 but not with the same intensity as an hour again..decent covering but not enough to take the day off tomorrow I think

In a nutshell, it was more organised I think? The front behaved more like a LP, though without the circulation and warm core. There were elements of a warm, cold and occluded fronts and the point where the occluded front starts tends to be the heaviest with precipitation. That hit Ulster and North Leinster mainly.

Now that's a kinda technical answer and I still doubt it's right as I'm not too sure of this "front"s exact nature. Hopefully someone with a more confident answer can help me out:D

????
    My cats breath smells like cat food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Panic? Who was panicing? I have a medical disorder, thats what all this sweat is from. Christy Moore-itis is what I have.

i'm actually going to panic cos my road is blocked and i'll have to miss work in the morning and i need the money cos its budget day tomorrow which is now today :eek:, time for bed, i cant take it anymore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement