Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

ro_chez wrote: »
    I would hope not for you sake mate, the last thing you need is school closed!
    "for YOU sake" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

delw wrote: »
    "for YOU sake" :rolleyes:

Are you twelve? We know what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DelBoyCORCAIGH

ro_chez wrote: »
    I would hope not for you sake mate, the last thing you need is school closed![/QUOT

Have ye not got over that match last august yet ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Confab wrote: »
    Are you twelve? We know what he meant.
    well the OP should'nt nit pick other peoples post,it was the posters first post,give him or her a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Meanwhile back on topic !.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andy brady

hey im just wondering can you tell me how i can make my own forum?? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

andy brady wrote: »

The moderator frowns on that sorta thing especially if its a "regional weather forum".....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Get a time travelling machine and travel back to around the year 1998. Start up a vBulletin forum for Quake multiplayer. Sit back and watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

darkman2 wrote: »
    ECM from Sunday on (120hrs) is extraordinary for people who like the current sort of weather

ECM1-120.GIF?07-0

Very cold at night - frost and ice - not too cold be day, 5 or 6C.

Monday 144hrs

ECM1-144.GIF?07-0

Slack Easterly established again. Getting increasingly cold with wintry showers into the East

Tuesday 168hrs

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

More hail/sleet showers in the East turning to snow. Temperatures struggling 2 - 4C. Dry in most places though but very frosty and icy inland.

Wednesday 192hrs

ECM1-192.GIF?07-0

Heavier snow showers in the east and north and further inland - temperatures not getting above freezing by day in many places like recently. Again ice and frost an issue. Not too windy though so windchill not too bad.

After that it goes a bit mad in terms of cold for later next week - may aswell post but won't bother commenting

216hrs

ECM1-216.GIF?07-0

240hrs

ECM1-240.GIF?07-0

It's just a possibility at this stage. Not certain by any means.

where did you get these charts?

There's a new thread button top left. Be sure what you are asking etc isn't covered in another thread (it mire than likely is). A mod will close and delete if it's something silly or sh1t stirring. ( personal experience of that). But they will let it run if it's valid.

• Advertisement

Monkaa wrote: »
    where did you get these charts?

http://www.meteociel.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Not wrote: »
    Nowhere near 1982 in Terenure anyway. 1982 brought a depth of 3 feet of snow in Terenure (that's first hand, I remember measuring it). The nearest we have got to that this year is a depth of 11 and a half inches last Thursday evening. So picture three times more snow in 1982. Mind you, this is the deepest since 1982 that I remember.

Had always wanted to see a 1982 event again, but last Thursdays foot has kind of reminded me I'm not a child anymore and there are practicalities I have to deal with today that I didn't have to then. So 1982, yea it was great fun then, but at this stage I just want it to stay in my memory - I dont want it back ! Cos if it comes back all I'll be doing is shovelling the stuff - no snowmen, snow tunnelling, snowball fights, sleding, etc, - just shovelling:(

+1.

I can remember the snowdrifts around Bushy Park in 1982 and 2010 is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Cold tonight in Thurles :-7c at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The showers have totally died out here tonight, we've had quite a few light showers but nothing of any note. Annoying because just across the border in Derry its been persistently snowing all evening and threres still no end in sight to the showers. I can see the Glenshane Pass being closed at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes, go to google.

Type in meatspin.

Click Enter and you will get all the anwers.
    Proper boardsies who know how to see a feckin spoiler and who aren't big eejits, don't do the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

sdonn wrote: »
    Yes, go to google.

Type in meatspin.

Click Enter and you will get all the anwers.
    Proper boardsies who know how to see a feckin spoiler and who aren't big eejits, don't do the above.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????
    my eyes, I'm afraid to open them again
    It was too late when I noticed the spoiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Reminding myself of MT's winter forecast... spot on so far I think!

"Time to confirm what I've been hinting at here and in the daily forecast thread.

My long-range seasonal outlook calls for colder than normal temperatures for most of the winter months, and higher than normal snowall amounts.

Expect periods of very cold weather to develop late November and through much of December as blocking high pressure becomes well established over the Baltic regions. While the Atlantic will occasionally push back and bring milder, wet conditions, the frequency of east winds and cold combined with a storm track close to the south coast of Ireland and into the southern half of the U.K. should make for frequent snowfalls in many parts of Ireland and the U.K. Predicting temperatures to average 1.5 to 2.0 C below normal in December and some stretches possibly sub-freezing, with snowfall likely before Christmas making for a white Christmas for many.

The January outlook calls for this cold to deepen for part of the month before a brief reversal indicated by some of the research index values. Therefore the month may feature some major winter storms mid-month as this pattern reversal begins. Despite the milder end, the month is likely to continue to average below normal by about the same amount as December, 1-2 C and possibly more.

February was less conclusive from the research index values but unless the January reversal is highly energetic, could see the blocking redeveloping and leading to a colder than normal February as well.

Given the strength of cold in the outlook and the dependence of mean winter temperatures on snow cover near the lower end of the spectrum, one cannot rule out a sort of near-extreme or even extreme outcome, since mean monthly temperatures below 2.0 tend to promote continuous snow cover and therefore a fairly easy slide down to sub-freezing values from the same air masses as are present for 2-3 C.

In other words, I'm predicting a cold winter with lots of snow, that could become an epic winter. Stay tuned.

One other detail to note, the storm frequency from my research should be on a fairly well-modulated 3.5-day cycle with stronger events every seven days or so (this is not exact so it won't work out to the same day every week). The stronger events are likely to produce their share of slow-moving but deep "Channel" or French lows promoting a strong east wind and outbreaks of snow. One of the better scenarios I foresee for snowfall comes with the December full moon and "northern max" event of 21 December. This is bound to produce an intense storm over western Europe and I am giving something like 2-1 odds for this to be a cold weather storm event with at least some snow or sleet in the mix for Ireland, whereas if the pattern happens to be stuck on mild then, look for a very mild and windy sort of event followed by much colder weather.

In general, through the mid-winter period, the stormy episodes will fall at full and new moons, and approximately mid-way between them with a second set of high-energy peaks. This pattern will continue into late winter but with the secondary energy peaks decoupling from the primary (full/new) this gives a more frequent distribution of storms that, if coupled with a cold pattern in February, could lead to a steady parade of disturbances around the southern flanks of blocking high pressure to the north and northeast.

Anyone interested in a more detailed forecast could find one later today on Net-weather posted by my research associate and friend, Blast from the Past as he is known to the weather forum world. That will be UK-centric but after all, the winter patterns are bound to be quite similar, and the general theme appears to be cold winning out over mild again this winter.

Looks like this pattern could be setting up gradually later this month, and I would not be surprised if there is some snow even in late November."

Posted on Nov 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ksimpson wrote: »
    I would agree, nowhere near 1982. Probably the heaviet snowfall we've had in Dublin since then. I remember the morning after the big snow and literally seeing cars completely buried in drifts.

My father said at the time to make sure and take it in as it won't happen for another 30 years. We're nearly there!!

What about the heavy fall of Jan 1987? Anyone old enough to remember 1982 should be able to remember 1987.
    Of course the reason why 82 is still fondly remembered is the big freeze that followed. The 1987 fall thawed almost immediately and is now more or less forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Virtually the only place getting snow tonight and right on traget for Castlebar...:D
    Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement

What about the heavy fall of Jan 1987? Anyone old enough to remember 1982 should be able to remember 1987.
    Of course the reason why 82 is still fondly remembered is the big freeze that followed. The 1987 fall thawed almost immediately and is now more or less forgotten.
    This spell equals jan '87.
    In terms of longevity,it's not equalling 1982 yet,simply because preceding jan 82 there was december 81 when there were a lot of snowfalls and prolonged perishing cold.

The snowfall of this current spell has came nowhere near the 3 day blizzard of jan '82 where if memory serves a ship sank in the irish sea due to the strong seas and the weight of snow on board...and we had drifts 10ft high at sea level.

Snow drifts at croghan on the wicklow wexford border on high ground reached the tops of the tree's in the woods,and thats over 30 feet.
    There were helicopter food drops to rural areas in the hills of Dublin and wicklow as roads had disappeared under the massive drifts.
    As a child,it's something I'll never forget.

Yes this current snow as impressive as it is for recent years is still only a baby snow compared to january '82 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spot all the older folk posting about '82 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Pity you couldn't predict a 30+ degrees summer :(

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Reminding myself of MT's winter forecast... spot on so far I think!

"Time to confirm what I've been hinting at here and in the daily forecast thread.
    Pity you couldn't predict a 30+ degrees summer :(

My long-range seasonal outlook calls for colder than normal temperatures for most of the winter months, and higher than normal snowall amounts.

Expect periods of very cold weather to develop late November and through much of December as blocking high pressure becomes well established over the Baltic regions. While the Atlantic will occasionally push back and bring milder, wet conditions, the frequency of east winds and cold combined with a storm track close to the south coast of Ireland and into the southern half of the U.K. should make for frequent snowfalls in many parts of Ireland and the
    U.K. Predicting temperatures to average 1.5 to 2.0 C below normal in
    December and some stretches possibly sub-freezing, with snowfall likely before
    Christmas making for a white Christmas for many.

The January outlook calls for this cold to deepen for part of the month before a brief reversal indicated by some of the research index values. Therefore the month may feature some major winter storms mid-month as this pattern reversal begins. Despite the milder end, the month is likely to continue to average below normal by about the same amount as December, 1-2 C and possibly more.

February was less conclusive from the research index values but unless the January reversal is highly energetic, could see the blocking redeveloping and leading to a colder than normal February as well.

Given the strength of cold in the outlook and the dependence of mean winter temperatures on snow cover near the lower end of the spectrum, one cannot rule out a sort of near-extreme or even extreme outcome, since mean monthly temperatures below 2.0 tend to promote continuous snow cover and therefore a fairly easy slide down to sub-freezing values from the same air masses as are present for 2-3 C.

In other words, I'm predicting a cold winter with lots of snow, that could become an epic winter. Stay tuned.

One other detail to note, the storm frequency from my research should be on a fairly well-modulated 3.5-day cycle with stronger events every seven days or so (this is not exact so it won't work out to the same day every week). The stronger events are likely to produce their share of slow-moving but deep "Channel" or French lows promoting a strong east wind and outbreaks of snow. One of the better scenarios I foresee for snowfall comes with the December full moon and "northern max" event of 21 December. This is bound to produce an intense storm over western Europe and I am giving something like 2-1 odds for this to be a cold weather storm event with at least some snow or sleet in the mix for Ireland, whereas if the pattern happens to be stuck on mild then, look for a very mild and windy sort of event followed by much colder weather.

In general, through the mid-winter period, the stormy episodes will fall at full and new moons, and approximately mid-way between them with a second set of high-energy peaks. This pattern will continue into late winter but with the secondary energy peaks decoupling from the primary (full/new) this gives a more frequent distribution of storms that, if coupled with a cold pattern in February, could lead to a steady parade of disturbances around the southern flanks of blocking high pressure to the north and northeast.

Anyone interested in a more detailed forecast could find one later today on Net-weather posted by my research associate and friend, Blast from the Past as he is known to the weather forum world. That will be UK-centric but after all, the winter patterns are bound to be quite similar, and the general theme appears to be cold winning out over mild again this winter.

Looks like this pattern could be setting up gradually later this month, and I would not be surprised if there is some snow even in late November."

Posted on Nov 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gotta love the update on RTE teletxt tonight(atm page 107 1/3 2151) " Well Met Eireann have furnished us with another update,and and unsurprislingly its much of the same.Latest is that temperatures could drop as low as -10C tonight...." Not like the Teletext to be so cheeky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I must have a look at the family photo collection of 1982 snow and scan them to upload some real snow pics !

I just seen the forcast on the teletext and was just about tonpost about it,until I seen your reply.cheeky LMAO.........

Gotta love the update on RTE teletxt tonight(atm page 107 1/3 2151) " Well Met Eireann have furnished us with another update,and and unsurprislingly its much of the same.Latest is that temperatures could drop as low as -10C tonight...." Not like the Teletext to be so cheeky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

sdonn wrote: »
    Can we speak english? Surely to god it's quicker and easier to type propely than to convert normal words to that utter rubbish?

ok.. im new to this so there is no need to be so harsh about it. its not the end of the world either... calm down. i know for future now thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ok.. im new to this so there is no need to be so harsh about it. its not the end of the world either... calm down. i know for future now thanks :D

You're grand, I just have a particular hatred for txtspk. Apologies for the abruptness!

In anwer to your question by the way I'd say it's way too early to tell whether or not there'll be snow down south in a week or two. Accurately forcasting snow is hard enough for Met.ie on the same bloody day! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Cold here tonight, not as cold as previous nights though. Sleet today has frozen and the footpaths out there are the worst I've seen them by far over this period.

• Advertisement

Been snowing most of the afternoon here in north Kilkenny,no snow at all this evening.it's -7 right now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement