Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

BBC NI forecast has a band of snow moving through the North and on into Cavan, Monaghan and Louth during the afternoon. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

oh no...just sent off a big thank you yesterday to ye all over on the big freeze threads and here I am back again...glued and now googling polar lows...totally addicted...going to have to get proper thermometer for christmas and note to self must try and do some work or engage with family/general public other than watching the sky and reading here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

jessie37 wrote: »
    and Kerry??

Can someone give a forecast for the south, because on yr.no it says snow tomorrow and on the 9.20 forecast it showed snow but for some reason Munster dont matter much !!

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd love to see MT's latest comments on what's coming down now, as he seems to be very capable of putting a very accurate interpretation on it, despite being a long way away from the scene of the action.

Steve

The wise man has spoken just recently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69402639&postcount=1776

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Went into town today and the cold really got into you today. I think 1.7 was the brief max when the sun showed its face for half an hour. Otherwise it felt freezing all day with the cold just digging in. Snow cover is still plentiful and while driving is manageable it's walking that's become more dangerous. Don't know will we see much rain from this front by the time it reaches here but any at all will give threacherous conditions underfoot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

FI LOL
    Rtavn3482.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Dowdy20 wrote: »
    Any ideas on what the weather will be like for next weekend?? have to do a bit of traveling from Kilkenny to Waterford any hints on the weather conditions for the weekend much appreciated.

Ah now!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Dowdy20 wrote: »
    Any ideas on what the weather will be like for next weekend?? have to do a bit of traveling from Kilkenny to Waterford any hints on the weather conditions for the weekend much appreciated.

If the forecasts are to be believed, and I'm not sure if even the forecasters completely believe their forecasts, next weekend in the south should be a lot better than at present, as the temperatures should have risen to above zero.

That's the prediction, there is no way to be sure that they are accurate at the moment, things are still very much in a state of flux, so don't hold anyone to this,

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

goodies wrote: »
    oh no...just sent off a big thank you yesterday to ye all over on the big freeze threads and here I am back again...glued and now googling polar lows...totally addicted...going to have to get proper thermometer for christmas and note to self must try and do some work or engage with family/general public other than watching the sky and reading here!

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/traditional/thermometers.html
    Happy Christmas ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Have to drive from Leitrim to Maynooth tomorrow morning... *sigh* :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Met check shows very heavy snow for Galway tomorrow I'm not sure :confused: thought it was just going to be rain in the west or has the forecast changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Met check shows very heavy snow for Galway tomorrow I'm not sure :confused: thought it was just going to be rain in the west or has the forecast changed?

met check is useless, unfortunately. I don't see any chance of snow for Galway city in the next days - too west, too coastal... we'll get drizzle again and it will freeze, to make life miserable again.
    Freemeteo also says snow but after friday's failure I don't believe them either :)
    http://freemeteo.com/default.asp?pid=156&la=16&gid=2964180

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Iancar29 wrote: »

oh lovely stuff...what about the weather stations?? thank you very much..forget the tk maxx vouchers hubbie darling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

What are driving conditions expected to be like so in Dublin CC tomorrow afternoon? Debating whether or not to take the car (RWD!). Don't fancy struggling home with icy/snowy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think we are looking at a NOWCAST situation. When the front hits the NW just be in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

jessie37 wrote: »
    Anyone? :(

Kerry is unlikely to see snow as the upper air is that bit warmer to the southwest. Ice will be your big problem over the next 4 days or so.
    Stay tuned though because this is a developing situation and surprise snowfall could fall anywhere inc Kerry.
    At the moment though icy and freezing for you:) and Cork

oh lovely stuff...what about the weather stations?? thank you very much..forget the tk maxx vouchers hubbie darling!!

This is the one i got a year or 2 bac :)

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/electronic/complete-weather-station/irox-prox2-weather-station.html

Does the job well, but i already want a bigger , better, and more expensive one! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

so timewise , around what time do people expect the snow/precip to hit the midlands tomorrow , around tipp/kilkenny area....

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Heyes wrote: »
    When do we expect the next extreme weather to hit ? This evening ? Will it bring more snow to the Dublin area ? or more south ?

I have to travel later in the week.. wed /thur and im curious to know wheather the roads will be similar to last week ?

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

NIALL D wrote:
    so timewise , around what time do people expect the snow/precip to hit the midlands tomorrow , around tipp/kilkenny area....

cheers

Looking at the BBC at the mo., falls of snow around the NW and boarder counties at midday, NI and boarder counties around 3, and pockets over Dublin and Belfast around 6. Most of the rest of country hit by precip during those times.

They have been preaty bang on so far, gave snow over Sligo and other boarder counties around 9 on friday morning just gone. At 8.50 it was pelting down in Sligo Town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Heyes wrote: »
    Anyone ?

well the forecast is for milder weather generally towards the end of the week but its prob too far out to be accurate.
    They forecast two days ago that we were finished with the snow and now we are told we are getting more :o

Is this front not just gonna fizzle out like friday when it goes over snow covered land? ... Whats gonna let it keep its energy?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Looking at the BBC at the mo., falls of snow around the NW and boarder counties at midday, NI and boarder counties around 3, and pockets over Dublin and Belfast around 6. Most of the rest of country hit by precip during those times.

They have been preaty bang on so far, gave snow over Sligo and other boarder counties around 9 on friday morning just gone. At 8.50 it was pelting down in Sligo Town.

cheers mate ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

There are other suppliers, and this is a generic station that's sold by a number of companies. It benefits from a number of DIY changes, a larger fin on the wind direction indicator to prevent it swinging too much, balancing the wind speed wheel, and a better shroud on the temperature sensor to prevent solar distortions. Mine is on a pole on the chimney above the roof, so I have modified it to use a battery supported mains power supply to avoid having to climb ladders and the like to change the batteries in the transmitter unit.

The rain guage is on strike at the moment, probably a spider's web, but I need the weather to warm up a little before I go climing up on the roof to take it down and check it.

The good thing is that it can be connected to a PC via USB, and there are several programs out there as well as the one supplied that allow the data to be captured.

It's not as good as Davis Vantage Pro 2, but it's also a fraction of the price, and has allowed me to get an idea of what's going on locally. It makes a good starting point.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Last night at this time everybody was saying thanks and goodbye for a while. Now it's GAME ON AGAIN !!

Don't you just adore mother nature !!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

irish1967 wrote: »
    Last night at this time everybody was saying thanks and goodbye for a while. Now it's GAME ON AGAIN !!

Don't you just adore mother nature !!

This newbie didn't say 'thanks and goodbye' I'm going to be keeping an eye on this forum for quite a while. Am also thinking about investing in a starter home weather station so thanks for the suggestions. :)

mvron wrote: »
    This newbie didn't say 'thanks and goodbye' I'm going to be keeping an eye on this forum for quite a while. Am also thinking about investing in a starter home weather station so thanks for the suggestions. :)

x2 - same ideas as myself :)
    very interesting ,learned alot even in the last few days.... be on here alot more from now on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Will there be snow in Wexford tomorrow or Tuesday? I had to stay home from work for 3 days last week as i travel on a lot of backroads. Im going to chance driving tomorrow even though it will still be icy, cant really afford any more days at home :-/

I have every possible weather app on my iPhone here and they are all over the place. I know they are computer generated but there us usually sone correlation this close to something happening. Must be a fairly marginal or a fairly complicated mix of data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

There are other suppliers, and this is a generic station that's sold by a number of companies. It benefits from a number of DIY changes, a larger fin on the wind direction indicator to prevent it swinging too much, balancing the wind speed wheel, and a better shroud on the temperature sensor to prevent solar distortions. Mine is on a pole on the chimney above the roof, so I have modified it to use a battery supported mains power supply to avoid having to climb ladders and the like to change the batteries in the transmitter unit.

The rain guage is on strike at the moment, probably a spider's web, but I need the weather to warm up a little before I go climing up on the roof to take it down and check it.

The good thing is that it can be connected to a PC via USB, and there are several programs out there as well as the one supplied that allow the data to be captured.

It's not as good as Davis Vantage Pro 2, but it's also a fraction of the price, and has allowed me to get an idea of what's going on locally. It makes a good starting point.

Steve
    I got one of these a few weeks ago, very happy with it, they are on special at €90 now in maplins dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement