Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sat nav advice

Options
  • 05-12-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

The OH's father has asked me to look into a new sat nav for him!he figures if he's paying for updated maps he may as Well have a good sat nav. Basically he wants at a minimum lane assist and European maps. He's not too bothered about price (don't know his budget) so any advice is welcome.

By the way on my phone at the mo and search wasn't working properly so apologies if there is a thread already!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Again stick with Garmin or TomTom , those 2 are the most reliable for software & map updates.
    Prices would be from around €150 upwards. After that the price increases as the features do, You can have from Bluetooth to give you hands free operation of you phone to Full Live services from TomTom with Live Traffic, Weather & Goiogle search.
    Garmin offer Loc8 codes for pinpointing out of the way places.
    TomTom offers MapShare which lets you correct map errors on your device & share with others. You also have the option to use corrections made by others on your device.
    I hope this give you a few ideas of whats available. As always shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

koolkid wrote: »
    Again stick with Garmin or TomTom , those 2 are the most reliable for software & map updates.
    Prices would be from around €150 upwards. After that the price increases as the features do, You can have from Bluetooth to give you hands free operation of you phone to Full Live services from TomTom with Live Traffic, Weather & Goiogle search.
    Garmin offer Loc8 codes for pinpointing out of the way places.
    TomTom offers MapShare which lets you correct map errors on your device & share with others. You also have the option to use corrections made by others on your device.
    I hope this give you a few ideas of whats available. As always shop around.
    My sat nav seems totally inadequate now!! :) he has a bluetooth kit already so that's one function he doesn't need! Thanks for this.

If there are Any particular models people would recommend please let me know!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

koolkid wrote: »
    Do you have a budget in mind?

I'd say €250 or there abouts.

Add a little bit more & you would get a very good TomTom live device with a years free subscription.
    See this thread for more info.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072533

You can view Garmin devices here.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

and TomTom devices here
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

get a unit with Coordinate entry' input. you'll need it esp in driving to unknown territory ! get your coordinates in google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 something to say

id recommend Garmin models have used many in the past few years and the loc8 codes are a great feature on them.

Advertisement