Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using photoshop cs5 files in cs4

Options
  • 05-12-2010 12:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

hello, is it possible to make a image in cs5 with layers, text etc. and then save it, and put it on a memory stick and open it in photoshop cs4? The reason is I have cs5 on my laptop, but cs4 is on the computers in college. If this is possible, how do I do it? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is not just a Photoshop situation. If you have a more advanced program and try to take a file to an earlier program there will be parts of the file that the old program does not 'understand'.

Sometimes it will open it but parts that are new will be ignored, which causes all kinds of problems. Usually it just refuses to open.

You could of course save it as a flattened image and move it, jpg etc, but of course that would not be very helpful if you had to submit it as a psd or needed to continue to work on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When you save a psd file it asks you if you want to save in a compatibility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

5uspect wrote: »
    When you save a psd file it asks you if you want to save in a compatibility mode.

True, but you will still lose parts of your file.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes, you lose any features that aren't supported but you also get a flattened composite.
    It's the best you can do TBH.

Advertisement