Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Car Parking

Options
  • 05-12-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of heading down to dublin shopping and was just wondering where I could park. Ill be coming from Drogheda so I was gonna park up just of the motorway at whitehall and just get a bus in from there as I no idea how to drive the rest of the way or where to even go. Is there a car park at whitehall or does anyone know if dcu car park is open on sundays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Coming from Drogheda, go past whitehall junction heading into the City.

The next major junction, ( the Skylon Hotel will be on your left. Turn left at the Major traffic lights and park anywhere there. Thats Griffith avenue. You will be safe there. Garda station opposite. Also you can drive straight in all the way and you will see signs for many car parks as soon as you reach Bolton St.

Do not park in Dublin on the road (Inner City), I live there not reccommended.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

Hi,

i am staying at the Jury's inn, custom house for a concert at the O2 next week, does anyone know if the multi-storey car park around the corner at the IFSC always have space?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi Kenny111 and m.j.w, on street parking is fine in Dublin, I do it all the time, just don't do anything stupid like leave ANYTHING on view, not a 20c piece, a pack of smokes or a plastic bag. The multistory car parks are very safe and you can go back and dump shopping in the boot feeling a bit safer. I think the ILAC center carpark is the cheapest, Jervis is very handy for shopping and leaving stuff back to the car.

Kenny111, are you parking your car in the hotel's carpark? If so, it's a short walk from the Point Depot.

Hi john,

Yes, I plan to park in the car park (first left past the Jurys Inn), do you know if it always has spaces and if it is full where is he nearest. I am not really familiar with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you're going to Dublin to shop, it's nothing but silly really not to pay the extra few euro to park in town, especially if you've to carry stuff in this weather.

Parking in the Parnell Street/Jervis/ILAC car parks is where I normally use, dirt cheap and safe as houses. If you're going shopping south of the river, on-street is fione but max 3 hours so I find RCSI handy, if a little more expensive (€3.60 an hour for first 3 then €3/hr).

To get to that area from Whitehall/M1 just keep going in the N1 until you see a Maldron hotel, on a corner. Go through that junction, and the next, then hang the next left (King's Inn's Street) - it's opposite a SPAR. Go to the end of this little street, then left at the lights and on the right is ILAC car park. Dead handy.

• Advertisement

kenny111 wrote: »
    Hi john,

Yes, I plan to park in the car park (first left past the Jurys Inn), do you know if it always has spaces and if it is full where is he nearest. I am not really familiar with the area.

I would imagine it always has spaces, it's not exactly in the middle of things. However, if it's someway affiliated with the hotel I would give the hotel a buzz and see can they give you a discount. What's the gig? Some concerts attract more car drivers than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Go to one of the shopping centres around the outskirts where parking is free blanch or liffey valley dundrum is cheap enough at €2 for 3 hours I seriously don't know how anyone would pay nearly 4 euro a hour

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

If you are shopping, I'd advise using one of the city centre car parks, though check the prices before you go. I regularly use the northside ones at weekends and these are the latest prices I have found (check again - as I haven't used these car parks for about 3 weeks):

ILAC - €10 Sat/Sun, €2 per hour weekdays
    Parnell Centre €13.50 per day
    Jervis Centre €12 Sat/Sun
    Smithfield €5 Sat/Sun - a bargain - though you need to catch a Luas/walk to the shopping area. It might be worth paying the €10 in the ILAC centre (though the lifts in the ILAC are slow!)

I know there are probably other cheaper day rates in car parks like Thomas St./Inns Quay etc.

IMHO the car parks at Christchurch (Jurys Inn) & Fleet St. are expensive. Driving-wise, if you're coming in from the northside, those northside car parks might be easier to get out of. I think it's worth paying a bit for a city centre car park, as you can always drop the shopping back during the day. It would be a bit of a nightmare trying to struggle onto the bus. Oh, and I'd advise getting to the car park early. I know the ILAC opens at 7.30am during the week, not sure what time it opens at the weekend. Go to the Kingfisher on Parnell St. for a good Irish breakfast and get yourself sorted for the day.

Enjoy your shopping!

Am arriving around lunch time on the 16th for the Shakira concert, as long as i know there was spaces I would be happy to pay for a full day.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Go to one of the shopping centres around the outskirts where parking is free blanch or liffey valley dundrum is cheap enough at €2 for 3 hours I seriously don't know how anyone would pay nearly 4 euro a hour

Ilac is 2 Euro an hour. I think your idea is nuts and not worth the hassle!:)

Kenny, you should get parking there no probs, call the hotel, see if they have an arrangement with the car park for cheaper rates though.

EDIT... Kenny, Shakira? For fooks sake... !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

What time do the city centre car parks usually close at, I've to park near to Burgh quay tomorrow until around 9pm?

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    What time do the city centre car parks usually close at, I've to park near to Burgh quay tomorrow until around 9pm?

ILAC and Jervis are early enough, between 6 and 9pm.

Parnell is 12.30am every night except Sunday (I think).

RCSI/Stephen's Green has a 24/7 section as does Clery's QPark on Malborough St.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Jumping in here, last time i was up and parked in Merrion Square and got totally lost trying to get back on the road to the west :rolleyes: I have to go up again next week for a meeting in Leeson Street, where's handy so i can dump the car for most of the day but has easy access back onto the Quays so i can get out handy enough in the evening traffic to head back?

Hennybug wrote: »
    got totally lost trying to get back on the road to the west :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, signposting is awful all over the country. I would study google maps, find somewhere you are comfortable and try and get on-street parking there if it's just a meeting and not the whole day.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, signposting is awful all over the country. I would study google maps, find somewhere you are comfortable and try and get on-street parking there if it's just a meeting and not the whole day.

Thanks John, i hadn't driven round the city centre in a while and there seemed to be new one-ways and restrictions :D I'll be caught though from @ 11 till 5 so can't go for the on street parking. A trek to Leeson Street doesn't bother me as long as i can get in the car and head off home without any hassle - what would Usher Quay car park be like - is it straight onto the Quays from the exit?

Cheapest carpark around Leeson Street might be the Burlington. You can often pull a fast one, tell them you were at a conference and they stamp the ticket for nothing :P

An alternative would be Connolly Station which is dirst cheap, €7 for a full day but a good 25 minute walk. On street or any other car park nearby is gonna cost you minimum €2.70 an hour. Usher's Quay would be a similar walk and expensive, but yeah opens out onto the south quays and typically takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the M50 at J7 (N4) from there at rush hour.

To get onto the quays from Leeson St area and out west is simple enough - onto Leeson Street, Stephen's Green, Dawson Street, Suffolk Street, Dame Street and Down by Christchurch. Alternatively, use €11.70 of your hard earned and vroom up the canal, use East Link toll (€1.70) and the Port Tunnel (€3, or €10 from 4pm-7pm) and you're out of town and on the M50 in 7 minutes.

Hennybug wrote: »
    what would Usher Quay car park be like - is it straight onto the Quays from the exit?

I don't know! But... The Temple Bar car park is very near the quays... (on your way in to the city) If you come up the quays, go right at O'Connell st. then along D'Olier st. (staying right) along College st. then right and a quick left (blue parking sign, cobbled street) in to Temple bar. The carpark is on your left past The Hard Rock Cafe. Creep along, keep your window down to hand signal, people will give you a break.

When you leave you are directed to the quays.

You can pick up some fancy stocking fillers in Urban Outfitters. ;)

Great suggestions thanks - now all i need is the thaw to really set in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

+1 for RCSI - for me it's the best carpark in town.
    Setanta is probably 2nd best IMO.

Advertisement