Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screeching noise but not when braking

• 05-12-2010 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I've an 06 golf with it's NCT first thing tomorrow and conveniently last night it started 'screeching' terribly. The noise is coming from the front driver's side and sounds like metal would dragging off the road - sort of like screechy brakes but the noise doesn't happen when I brake - it's there all the time with driving and seems to get worse if I go uphill or hit a bumpy patch. The faster I go the less the noise is there but if I'm in second or third I can hear it. There's no lilting in the steering or problems braking and bar the noise it's driving normally. A kid did whack a snowball at the back of it with a rock in the middle last night and I braked suddenly - the noise started shortly after.

Any suggestions on what it might be bearing in mind it's a Sunday and I have my NCT tomorrow? Afaik the brakes haven't been done and it's coming up to 30k miles.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Any chance that the alternator belt needs to be tightened ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The wear clips on your brake pads are likely touching the disk, telling you the pads and/or disks need replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Re. the alternator belt - I thought that would squeak when stationary too? There's no noise when the engine is on and the car is parked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Could it be the fan belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It is more than likely the wear indicator. It could also be a chip or stone after wedging between the pad and disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

take it to the car wash and blow the crap off the discs n wheels.
    Could be a build up of salt on the pads/discs , also a stone or something wedged between the disc and the metal cover. Try driving in reverse a bit it might dislodge it. other than that maybe it's a belt in the engine bay, or maybe the guy saying the clips is right...
    In any event the NCT guys like it when a clean car shows up :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

DONT take it to a car wash and do that YET....wait til its warmer....Im not convinced that the problem anyway, check your pads fo thickness, easy to do

Could it be the fan belt?

A golf doesn't have a fan belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for the advice - I'm hoping it's just the indicators on the brakes. I'll get it look at tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With the bad weather and lots of gentle braking, brake dust can build up causing squealing. Try breaking hard a few times and see if that has any benefit (after making sure everything else is ok with the brakes of course).

• Advertisement

The wear clips on your brake pads are likely touching the disk, telling you the pads and/or disks need replacing.
    THat me thinks, when you brake the clip doesn't protrude further than the pad anymore and the screech stops, shouldn't effect the nct, tester may note you need pads shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I had a similar problem after I went too fast over a ramp before. Had to get the brake pads replaced. The noise you describe sounds like the noise I had so do expect the worst.

gurramok wrote: »
    I had a similar problem after I went too fast over a ramp before. Had to get the brake pads replaced. The noise you describe sounds like the noise I had so do expect the worst.

Could something as simple as a brake pad change be described as 'the worst'?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Could something as simple as a brake pad change be described as 'the worst'?:confused:

Money wise yes! (was for me at the time ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IvanW

Its not the price of the brake pads its the price of the labour some garages charge is what makes it the worst. lus when you have it in the fing three or four more bits that need attention.

IvanW wrote: »
    Its not the price of the brake pads its the price of the labour some garages charge is what makes it the worst. lus when you have it in the fing three or four more bits that need attention.

I agree that some do overcharge but of all the things that could cause a scraping/grinding noise on a car, surely brake pads would be a relief?

As for finding other things that need attention, I'm aware that money is sometimes tight these days but surely if a garage finds other issues with your car it means they are doing their job correctly, no? You are never obliged to buy anything at the time and at least you then know what your car will need shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

OP go out and check your brake pads, mist likely they are worn out.

Advertisement